confused with newly started Newcastle Diet after just one day lol.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government Leaders who feel they are the owner of ME.
Hi Douglas, feeling pretty low right now mate, thing is the Shakes suited me, they made me feel like i had eaten, if i was eating small solids then i just know that i would want more, i want/need to lose the weight along with keeping the Sugars low for the Diebeties and the blood at the correct thickness for the reduced risk of Stroke, feels like a nightmare, nobody but myself to blame, been eating processed rubbish for over sixty years, managed to stop smoking over a year ago, but missing that as well now lol.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmmm.....could you add some protein to your meals? eggs with salad for example? Protein is fine for your blood sugar.

I'm no medical expert but take a look at this

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/4/734.short

Maybe eat two small meals as well as the shakes?

I'm glad you are feeling better, more active.
I think a few tweaks and you should be able to get the balance right.
Can you get the diabetic nurse and the warfrin nurse to work together ( unlikely but worth a mention?)
Or get your GP, who will no doubt be delighted you feel so well, to take an overview

Good luck

Cara

Thanks for the link Cara, in fact throughout my life Eggs have been one of my favorite foods, so will go with that and maybe add small amout of meat to my Soups, already have soups made up and in freezer.
Been on plain salads or plain soups for evening meals.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You don't need to do it so fast.

You can just eat less, which I did.
I thought I'd be hungry, but I wasn't.

Mainly I left the fats off, and cut down on everything else.

It was summer, so I ate a lot of salads, a lot of veg, and a small amount of cheese, or tuna, or ham.
As it got colder, I ate more warmer food, but still counted the calories.
You could still include the shakes as at least one meal, but eat low GI carbs, rather than worry about avoiding them entirely, eat more protein, and cut down on calories overall. To me, that meant leaving out the fat. It suited me, I lost a load of weight, and ate enough not to feel hungry all the time, by eating salad and veg.
The carbs were ones that didn't affect me, I ate to my meter, and had no problems. Healthy veg, salads, the classic diet really.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Quorn is high protein too. Maybe Quorn sausages with omelette? I've been making a 'pasta' sauce with tomatoes Quorn mince onions and veg an herbs to serve with courgette spaghetti (potato peeler). I adored pasta but I prefer courgettes now.
Beans and lentils are high protein too and would be great in soup but watch out for the carbs as they will start to creep in

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember jimmyr, the essential factor is weight loss, speed of weight loss is less important. The weight loss has to be substantial, but you don't have to do it in the 8 weeks. You can take longer. Stick to the present diet but simply eat a bit more protein if that is what is advised and take a little longer. If they are protein shakes, have one or two extra shakes per day, that will only add 200 or 400 calories, then add 2 or 3 weeks onto the length of the diet.

Or just spoil yourself with the occasional fillet steak.

jimmyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Going to go with what i have but add protein as suggested, i was so pleased that in just over a week i had lost 2" off my Stomach, but i must admit the evening meals were getting boring and up to the evening meal i was fine, but once i had eaten it, i was starving, that was hard to deal with, hopefully the protein will sort that out.

Dornier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use the Slimfast shakes - mainly Cafe Latte and Vanilla as they are the only ones I like. They are quite high in sugar, but my aim is to lose weight which will help my diabetes anyway. I try to keep under 800 calories per day but with a limit of 1000. So 2 slimfast and a sensible meal per day and I have lost 2 stone iver 2 years. I do have breaks from it, but as long as I dont put any weight back on I am happy and then start again for a while.

Eleanora

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started a very low calorie diet 600 cal per day ( a Newcastle Diet) 14 January 2014 with a blood sugar 16.6. First wee I used a slimfast from Boots a chocolate flavour shake and pack of Chocolate Crunch Flavour meal. In the morning after having a shake 2 hours later my sugar level went to 10.4, after the lunch ( I had a slim fast chocolate crunch flavour bar) 2 hours later my sugar level was 9.0 and in the evening after having a chocolate shake 2 hours later - my sugar level was 7.5. I get excited and start continue my diet but still taking my metformin 2 tablets (500mg) in the morning and 2 tablets in the evening. First 3 days was very difficult i had a head ache but from day 4 I start feeling good and from day 4 my sugar level dropped and it is stays between 9.0 and 6.0 depend what snack I am using in between my diet food. Also every evening I put in the glass of water 5 Bamia just cutting the ends of them and first think in the morning drinking this water - it is helping me.
1656167_10151830591117610_990967182_n.jpg

sanjay230680

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Losing control and becoming fat and becoming diabetic
Hi Guys,

Sorry if I am late to chip in.

Like Eleanora I started a Newcastle type diet just after Christmas and am taking 500mg Metformin morning and night. Like Jimmyr I found shakes and the like were pretty high. I then noticed that the Atkins shakes (although containing skimmed milk) are the lowest of Carb and Sugar.
I have been having an Atkins cereal in the morning a shake at lunch and then a meal in the evening (total calorie intake does not exceed 600-800).
I have combined this with walking 5 days a week continuously and then the weekend off (for exercise) whilst still sticking to the diet.
I am now going into week 6 of the diet and have lost 13kg (starting weight 123.3kg) and my blood sugar is constantly around 4.3 - 5.6 which is low but I feel great (apart from hurting my achilles because stupid here decided to try to run on one of my workouts and still on the mend).
Remember one of the important paramenters of the Newcastle is water intake, you need 2-3L a day (I found Tesco now do low calorie water sweeteners for those not fans of London water ;) ).
Hope this helps guys.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sanjay

Just remember that unlike the other shakes on the market Atkins have no added vitamins or minerals. Be careful

But well done so far.

Cara

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

pembers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Being unhealthy
Hi Guys,

Like Eleanora I started a Newcastle type diet just after Christmas and am taking 500mg Metformin morning and night. Like Jimmyr I found shakes and the like were pretty high. I then noticed that the Atkins shakes (although containing skimmed milk) are the lowest of Carb and Sugar.
I have been having an Atkins cereal in the morning a shake at lunch and then a meal in the evening (total calorie intake does not exceed 600-800).
I have combined this with walking 5 days a week continuously and then the weekend off (for exercise) whilst still sticking to the diet.
I am now going into week 6 of the diet and have lost 13kg (starting weight 123.3kg) and my blood sugar is constantly around 4.3 - 5.6 which is low but I feel great (apart from hurting my achilles because stupid here decided to try to run on one of my workouts and still on the mend).
Remember one of the important paramenters of the Newcastle is water intake, you need 2-3L a day (I found Tesco now do low calorie water sweeteners for those not fans of London water ;) ).
Hope this helps guys.

pembers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Being unhealthy
Hi Guys,

Hope this helps guys.

pembers

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Being unhealthy
I am amazed at how many people have grabbed the bull by the horns and started on the ND. Well done to you all. It is not easy but the benefits far out weigh the costs.
Now into the 4th week on ND. Have come through some difficult periods but managed to carry on. Have lost about 1.5 stone in the last 3 weeks, plus another 1 stone prior to the diet through exercise. Weight loss has started to slow down now. I expect it will continue to do so as I carry on with the diet. Feeling OK but tired especially after any exercise. I have cut the number of shakes down to 2 per day but have increased the amount of veggies I eat in the evening to about 350grms. Drinking lots of water, black tea & coffee, diet coke etc. I stopped taking medication (Metformin) after the second week. Blood glucose levels have stabilised between 4-5mmol/l with just the occasional 'blip' after over indulging on veggie curry. The fasting blood glucose levels are all within this range even allowing for 'liver dump'. I hope to be able to continue on the diet for between 6-8 weeks but I am concerned about what to do next. How do you know when the ND has been successful? Does anyone who has been through this regime have any advice? Could anyone direct me to any web sites that could give some advice on this?

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get discouraged about the rate of weight loss, I lost 10lbs the 1st week and plateaued for several days before the weight started going down again but much more slowly. Once the actual fat starts to go, it's 2 - 3 lbs a week.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

staying positive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing a variation of the Newcastle diet for just over 2 weeks now. I've been using Asda shakes, as they are cheap, and making them up with skimmed milk. I've also continued to have milk (skimmed) in my coffee, but no sugar now. I'm losing about three quarters of pound per day so very happy! My morning blood sugar has gone down from >8 to low 5s.

I'm still taking Metformin, and it has really helped as I find it supresses my appetite massively. I only have to deal with mental cravings rather than physical cravings. I have done long juicing fasting diets in the past and I'm finding this much easier to do. I do often avoid the vegetables though as I find they trigger my hunger. I'll also probably reduce the Metformin if my levels go much lower.

So, I'm certainly not following the diet it to the letter, I'm doing something I know can cope with and sustain. At the end of the day, I think the diet is mainly about weight loss, not trying to reproduce a magic formula. Good luck!
Hello,do you think you could achieve these results by exercising say an hours walking a day,say 350 cals burned, and eating a little more or do you feel too weak to exercise,dont have time or dont like it- i ask as im a walker and have to get out but want to do the diet but also want to walk and the idea of fainting or feeling weak concerns me .In fact i bought the shakes to find it was full of sugar so wrong ones and didnt use it.

staying positive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am amazed at how many people have grabbed the bull by the horns and started on the ND. Well done to you all. It is not easy but the benefits far out weigh the costs.
Now into the 4th week on ND. Have come through some difficult periods but managed to carry on. Have lost about 1.5 stone in the last 3 weeks, plus another 1 stone prior to the diet through exercise. Weight loss has started to slow down now. I expect it will continue to do so as I carry on with the diet. Feeling OK but tired especially after any exercise. I have cut the number of shakes down to 2 per day but have increased the amount of veggies I eat in the evening to about 350grms. Drinking lots of water, black tea & coffee, diet coke etc. I stopped taking medication (Metformin) after the second week. Blood glucose levels have stabilised between 4-5mmol/l with just the occasional 'blip' after over indulging on veggie curry. The fasting blood glucose levels are all within this range even allowing for 'liver dump'. I hope to be able to continue on the diet for between 6-8 weeks but I am concerned about what to do next. How do you know when the ND has been successful? Does anyone who has been through this regime have any advice? Could anyone direct me to any web sites that could give some advice on this?
i have been trying this but no shakes- 2 meals one a v small breakfast and then exercise and still take metformin though GP has lowered dose as it may have been giving me hypos.Did you give up the metformin on medical advice? I also get very tired after exercise.I would say when you reach your target weight and when your test results are within healthy range then its under control or you are healed...but wont the glucose tolerance test show you if you are.The key then seems to be to maintain the weight loss by eating smaller meals about 1/3 less or one could maybe do the 5/2 diet or 6/1 diet to maintain the weight level. So you have a friend who also gets the post exercise tiredness and wonders if its the disease or lack of cals consumed and is asking you if you self-diagnosed over metformin

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Slimfast shakes - mainly Cafe Latte and Vanilla as they are the only ones I like. They are quite high in sugar, but my aim is to lose weight which will help my diabetes anyway. I try to keep under 800 calories per day but with a limit of 1000. So 2 slimfast and a sensible meal per day and I have lost 2 stone iver 2 years. I do have breaks from it, but as long as I dont put any weight back on I am happy and then start again for a while.
Many mention the slimfast shakes but the ones Ive found have lots of sugar in them - is there a specific slimfast product I need to look for please? (its hard to get these ingredients nailed down :) )

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Have a look at the Slim and save website (also their stuff on Ebay), not especially cheap but lots of low carb instant soups and 'meals' as well as shakes. Lots of variety.

Reactions: 2 people