No dear, my Dr. looks after my diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date
C

catherinecherub

Took my three year old grandson to the hospital as we were visiting his mum. Met a lady in a wheelchair in the visitors waiting area and we got talking as she had offered Jack a sweet and he was too shy to accept and I told her that it is very rare that he is allowed sweets.

She told me she had Type 2 diabetes and had no problems with it.other than feet that were numb and so she needed a wheelchair but went on to say that all diabetics end up with something wrong with them. She was obese, continually munched on food whilst we were waiting to be allowed in and was drinking full sugar coke. I knew that she would not be open to any suggestions but asked her if she tested her blood sugars. The answer surprised me when she said, "Oh no dear, my Dr. looks after my diabetes as I wouldn't know where to start so I leave everything to him, he moans at me because I don't listen but I told him, it's no good moaning at me because I am not changing anything". She then said, "You will never have to worry about diabetes, you are too slim". I knew I was wasting my time in trying to help her

I asked her if she had access to the internet and she said that she did but when I suggested she could join a diabetes forum and talk to other diabetics online she told me that public forums on health matters were dangerous. I think ignorance about diabetes is even more dangerous but left well alone. Luckily we were allowed on the ward and the conversation was over.

We do not know her Dr. and he may be tearing his hair out with her cavalier attitude. How many more diabetics have this mindset?

Reactions: 3 people

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
There's always someone who sticks their head in the sand. It's a shame she won't take any advice on board. I've learnt so much off everyone on here & it's only helped me to learn how to cope with the diagnosis. It's also encouraged me to take part in some form of exercise that I couldn't be bothered with before but now enjoy.

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

Reactions: 2 people

Raymond Starr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like she not even bothered about her condition I,am hoping when my blood test is due for the end of this month I will be told I have not got diabetes any more fingers cross :):)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Unbelievable ! I'd like to say ignorance is bliss but unfortunately it's downright dangerous !

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Scarey to believe someone you see maybe once a year is really that bothered about your health. Especially if you cant be bothered to do anything yourself.

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
That is wild if I were sat there with numb feet I would be in hysterics :( maybe there is something mentally wrong with woman god help her!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have met them, the ones who are utterly incapable to see they could do anything to change their life and still quite happy about it even if their deterioration is due to themselves. I envy them their trust oddly enough while I do the opposite and fight for my health.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think we're lucky to have found this forum. Most of my knowledge, advice, diet and exercise tips have come from asking and reading ! Invaluable !

Reactions: 4 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think there are a lot of older people or less well educated people with this attitude, Doctor know best.

I don't think diabetes is taken seriously by the general public, people look the same, the problems if they have them are not often visible.
ANd they often eat whatever they like.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You do have to feel for this poor lady, at the very least you would think she would know that full-sugar and eating sweets is a big NO NO :(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Switching to diet drinks is the easiest change to make. So sad that she doesn't find it necessary

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there are a lot of older people or less well educated people with this attitude, Doctor know best.

I don't think diabetes is taken seriously by the general public, people look the same, the problems if they have them are not often visible.
ANd they often eat whatever they like.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, teh older generations, I find have more of a tendency to believe in the authority and knowledge of doctors and other professionals rather than acquiring their own knowledge.

I think it comes down to a different mindset vs those who have grown up around IT systems (in my case starting with an Acorn Electron)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ely,
I think that's a generalisation. remember someone of 80 today will only have been 30 in the middle of the 'swinging 60s'. Do you think that all of that generation were conformist?
I can give you 20 years and a prior Commodore Pet and a Sinclair Spectrum. (though I still think that in some respect the Risc Os of my Acorn was better than the Windows 8 I'm using today).
I suspect that you could find the same response as this lady from many younger people.
Actually the lady wasn't doing what her doctor said, she was 'listening' but then carrying on as before.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes it was a generalisation and I qualified it as such.

Lets face it, whatever you write on a forum will either annoy someone or give them an excuse to say "yes, but what about case XXXX"

I'm not trying to please everyone here, just making a generalisation based on my experience.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe the chanfe4life adverts will have an effect on her.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will get my mum a computer or at least an Ipadsomethingorother. She is 93 and now suddenly very immobile. Years ago she did a computer class but never bought one. I think she might manage an Ipad. She needs something.