Lancing device

A

AnnieC

Can anyone recommend a good lancing thingy I am using the one that came with the Codefree meter. If I have it on 2 I have a job to get any blood out but put it on 3 and I get blood and bruised fingers

A

AnnieC

Can anyone recommend a good lancing thingy I am using the one that came with the Codefree meter. If I have it on 2 I have a job to get any blood out but put it on 3 and I get blood and bruised fingers
PS I only test twice a day and use a new needle every day so it is not because of a blunt needle

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know if this will help but I hope it can It's what I apply myself. You might try the following.

1. Wash the fingers/hands in warm water and dry well - helps circulation.
2. Use a sharp lancet - Some are availabe in differing sizes - Pick the best size for you.
3. Use the side of the finger and not the finger pad. Rotate puncture spots as skin can harden.
4. Apply just the 'THINNEST SMEAR' of petroluum jelly to the sides of finger before lancing.
5. In extreems fit a rubber band around the finger knuckle before lancing - DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE RUBBER BAND - WE DON'T WANT YOUR FINGER FALLING OFF !!!!
6. Hold hand down at waist after lancing - Aids formation of droplet.

With these new meters that use a particularly small blood sample, ALWAYS DISCARD THE FIRST DROP and use a second drop. The first droplet is formed from just beneath the skin's surface and is known to give inaccurate readings. Most Meter manufacturer's won't tell you this.

Last edited by a moderator:

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Glycomen finger pricker that came with a meter that they sent me for free. The finger pricker has half a dozen depth settings and half a dozen force settings. I now use an SD Codefree meter but have kept the Glycomen finger pricker.as it's so much better than the one that came with the Codefree meter. It uses standard lancets which I buy from Amazon for around £12 for 200 so there's no real excuse not to use a new one each time.

annepgill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance,racism
Out of all the meters I have had I think the verio iq pen is the most painless one :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

Don't know if this will help but I hope it can It's what I apply myself. You might try the following.

1. Wash the fingers/hands in warm water and dry well - helps circulation.
2. Use a sharp lancet - Some are availabe in differing sizes - Pick the best size for you.
3. Use the side of the finger and not the finger pad. Rotate puncture spots as skin can harden.
4. Apply just the 'THINNEST SMEAR' of petroluum jelly to the sides of finger before lancing.
5. In extreems fit a rubber band around the finger knuckle before lancing - DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE RUBBER BAND - WE DON'T WANT YOUR FINGER FALLING OFF !!!!
6. Hold hand down at waist after lancing - Aids formation of droplet.

With these new meters that use a particularly small blood sample, ALWAYS DISCARD THE FIRST DROP and use a second drop. The first droplet is formed from just beneath the skin's surface and is known to give inaccurate readings. Most Meter manufacturer's won't tell you this.
Thanks will try your tips I do already use the side of my fingers but not sure how far down from the top I should go

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear AnnieC,
It dosen't really matter too much where on the finger you use the lancing device. The side of the fingers just back from the start wher the fingernail grows from is a common point that is often used rather than the finger tips (pads) as these tend to have a thicker skin which is more difficult to penetrate even with a new (sharp) lancet.
With my best wishes - Lazybones

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Multiclix lancer that comes with the Aviva meters is very good, it has 6 lancets on each drum so your not fiddling around changing the lancet each time..

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The Multiclix lancer that comes with the Aviva meters is very good, it has 6 lancets on each drum so your not fiddling around changing the lancet each time..
Ditto the fastclix lancets from the same company.