Any T2s still getting enough strips on NHS?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've caved in and bought a supply( as an OAP!!!!) and I knw several others do that too. But is anyone still getting enough of them?

Jay3109

I must say that so far (fingers and toes firmly crossed) that I am. But then I am very lucky with my GP - she may not be the most knowledgable on diabetes but she is caring and willing to listen to the arguments. Mind you, having a GP in the family (though not the same one I hasten to add) may also help just a teeny tiny bit... :lol:

Jo123

My mum is type 2 and gets 50 a month on a repeat prescription no problem at all at the moment.

SilverAndEbony

Doczoc,
How long does it take for you to get through a 100? I'm well controlled and usually test 2-3 times a week, more if there's a problem I want to keep an eye on. That makes less than 20 a month on average.
Are you experimenting with finding out how much different foods affect your BG levels?

Gina

I'm newly ( a month) diagnosed and my doctor at first told me to test every other day,he gave me a script for 50 then when I told him on Tuesday that I had found this forum and the advice available and that I had been testing a fair bit after foods, he gave me a repeat script of 50.So will see over coming weeks/months what he is actually like with the amount I need.

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my first script was for 100, i now only get a repeat for 50, curtersy of the nurse,(the practise nurse )

Doczoc

SilverAndEbony said:
Doczoc,
How long does it take for you to get through a 100? I'm well controlled and usually test 2-3 times a week, more if there's a problem I want to keep an eye on. That makes less than 20 a month on average.
Are you experimenting with finding out how much different foods affect your BG levels?

I started testing 7-8 times a day, so that means 50 last a week. I've been fairly conservative in my food choices so now probably test 4-5 times a day. I was only diagnosed in November so still very much learning about what foods affect me!

Cameraman

Dislikes
Rude or ignorant people
I had one prescription of 50 and no more. If I ask I'm now told you have it under control so no longer need to test. I'm now down to my last couple or so, but only test if I eat soemthing new :oops:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
I was told on my last visit to the DSN that my strips were being taken off repeat prescription, now I've got to ring and ask for them, no doubt they will be restricted. :evil:

Graham

Thirsty

I don't test very often but do receive enough strips and lancets for my needs, as I've suffered a few hypos (not nice.) As a rule though, my practice won't provide them on prescription for type 2s unless the patient is at risk of harm.

MaryChristine

I'm not!

I had 50 strips on prescription when first diagnosed. They didn't last long! When I asked for more another 50 were prescribed, grudgingly, and I was informed that I should only test once a week. I can have another 50 in a year's time. Meanwhile four-monthly HbA1c tests are sufficient, allegedly.

I was also given a leaflet which kindly explained how frequent testing would give me sore fingers and make me anxious so it is best I don't do it. I realise the NHS is short of money and that people are being denied essential medicines because of cost. I believe that such people should have priority over me and my test strips. However I wish the NHS would be honest and admit that it cannot afford to fund strips, rather than offering a patronising leaflet implying the restriction is for my own benefit. I am willing to put up with sore fingers (if I ever get them) if I can reduce the risk of future complications, the thought of which makes me anxious.............

I realise some people do not want to test. That's their choice. I prefer to know my blood glucose levels so that I can take appropriate action if necessary.

I realise some people do not understand how and when to test and how to interpret the results, so wasting strips. They could be offered proper advice. In a former life I used to help design biological experiments so I think I can plan and interpret simple tests on myself.

I believe the restriction on test strip prescriptions is very short-sighted and will lead to much greater expense in future, treating and supporting people with complications arising from poorly-controlled BG levels.

My friendly local pharmacist suggested that if I asked my GP rather than my Diabetic Nurse for strips and explained calmly why I wanted them (and if that didn't work, throw a tantrum in the surgery) I might get them prescribed but for a variety of reasons I didn't want to, although very tempted by the second option.

So I purchase the strips myself. I find they are cheapest direct from the manufacturer. I am fortunate in that I can afford them, although I resent the expense and at least I am free to test as and when I think it necessary and do not have to justify the number of strips I use.

OK, rant over! Happy New Year everyone!

MaryChristine

Trinkwasser

MaryChristine said:
I

I was also given a leaflet which kindly explained how frequent testing would give me sore fingers and make me anxious so it is best I don't do it.

They have a LEAFLET?????

<falls over>

I wonder how much money was wasted printing that . . .

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
That anxiety thing is a good cop out. I personally get anxious is when I don't know what's happening.
I buy my own nw , out of my "Oh so Generous! :twisted: " pension

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
That anxiety thing is a good cop out. I personally get anxious is when I don't know what's happening.
I buy my own nw , out of my "Oh so Generous! :twisted: " pension

Anxious??? I get bloody paranoid!

I test a lot less than I did now I have things down to a comparatively fine art but I couldn't have done that without testing a LOT at first. And I NEVER eat foods of unknown provenance or do excessive levels of exertion without keeping an eye on my numbers

milly mole

Dislikes
rude people,know alls
I got that 'oh it will make you anxious cr**' as well when I first became diabetic!!If looks could have killed she would have been dead on the spot!!I bought my own,tested ,documented and brought back the 'evidence' to the nurse next time round.I got my prescription.50 a month and so far I 'm still getting them.