BG level decrease rate.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
My morning reading was 8.0 - 2 hours after breakfast at 10:00 it was 8.7, this was an unexpected rise and I put it down to work stress. However at 12:04 (2 hours later) it dropped to 5.9. Is it possible for BS to drop by 2.8 in a 2 hour period while all I am doing is sitting on my butt and moving my fingers.

sugarmog

My morning reading was 8.0 - 2 hours after breakfast at 10:00 it was 8.7, this was an unexpected rise and I put it down to work stress. However at 12:04 (2 hours later) it dropped to 5.9. Is it possible for BS to drop by 2.8 in a 2 hour period while all I am doing is sitting on my butt and moving my fingers.

It is quite normal for blood sugar to drop that much in two hours, particularly if it has gone a bit higher than normal. Don't underestimate the power of butt sitting at work. in reducing blood sugar levels. Your brain runs on glucose and many of us find that intense mental activity can be as effective, if not more so, than physical activity in reducing levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, brain activity really helps to lower BG. I work as a vet and keep const getting lows as the mental activity involved is quite intense. Also, as an aside my Endocrinologist did say that there have been studies that show diabetics that play on systems like PS/Xbox involving games req a fair bit of focus tend to have lower BG :)

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Thanks Dazza. I will get back into playing modern warfare 3 in evenings after my rowing workout. I usually play Tetris (old mans game) during train commute to work at a real mental speed. Will see what affect they have.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App