Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all :)

I have posted in here before regarding my partner who will not take care of his diabetes, so my question today is how much Novorapid should he inject after his lunch!

For lunch he has (The list begins!)
a Chinese container full of pasta
A chicken tikka pasty
a peperrami
3-4 packs of crisps
and sometimes a curly wurly (rarely now as we argue a lot about what he eats!)

I'm not looking for an exact answer as everybody is different, but I have no idea how much he should be doing, currently he injects nothing after lunch!

Thanks for your help!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wouldn't like to guess on that mountain of food, much would depend on the portion sizes and his insulin to carb ratio.

Does he really need to eat so much for lunch?

Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin

I know its ridiculous, if you read my previous post about it, you would understand my situation. I have told him over and over again no one need that amount of food! I don't know his ratios and for that matter neither does he! He has only just started taking novorapid after dinner (after having diabetes near 10 years) and only just started doing lantus every day!

Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't like to guess on that mountain of food, much would depend on the portion sizes and his insulin to carb ratio.

Does he really need to eat so much for lunch?

Nope, he doesn't... but he will..(I Have posted my frustrations with this before!) im trying to slowly make him change his ways, doing insulin every night and before dinner, next step before lunch!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know its ridiculous, if you read my previous post about it, you would understand my situation. I have told him over and over again no one need that amount of food! I don't know his ratios and for that matter neither does he! He has only just started taking novorapid after dinner (after having diabetes near 10 years) and only just started doing lantus every day!

Did he know his level after lunch/b 4 next meal? if he didnt inject would be very high?
He Really should see his dsn/consultant to discuss about ratios and a carb counting course.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Did he know his level after lunch/b 4 next meal? if he didnt inject would be very high?
He Really should see his dsn/consultant to discuss about ratios and a carb counting course.

Nope, he doesn't ever test his sugar! The things is he just don't seem to care, he eats what he wants, when he wants. Untll we have a big argument about it, he has got better.. just no where near enough! I will suggest it to him, but I know the answer already. :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nope, he doesn't... but he will..(I Have posted my frustrations with this before!) im trying to slowly make him change his ways, doing insulin every night and before dinner, next step before lunch!

Sorry I don't remember Amy. I do hope he see's the light and changes his ways soon, good luck to you both!!!

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't want to encourage but I also inject after I eat, and from the list of food you gave, pepperami has no sugar in it and trace amounts of carbohydrates as does any other meat without artificial flavouring. As I also use Novorapid I might go with the following amounts (I take 1 unit for every 20g):

- tikka slice (60g - 3 units)
- 4 bags of crisps (4x15g - 3 units)
- 200g container of pasta (60g - 3 units, adjust accordingly)

You can follow these amounts if you want as a guide but everyone has different insulin resistance or absorption if that makes any sense.

Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, that seems quite helpful... Just need to raise the idea of doing it before/after lunch! Don't think that's going to happen... How much would you do after a large roast dinner? At the moment he does 4? Any ideas?

iHs

Hello Amy

Most diabetics using a bolus and a basal insulin,calculate the carbohydrate content of the meal first before they inject the bolus insulin. They then test their bg levels before they eat to find out what their level is and then by testing bg again about 3hrs later, they use that reading to work out whether the amount of bolus (Novorapid) injected, has been correct or not. To work out whether the bg levels are ok or not, they use the NICE blood glucose targets or those that have been told to them by their DSN or doctor.

Most people will start using a calculation of 1u of bolus to every 10g carbohydrate to be eaten and then adjust the calculation to stay within the bg tgargets.

Is it possible for you to look on the internet and look on the packaging info on the food, for the carbohydrate content, as it can really vary so much? A basic guide for you both to use is the book Carbs & Cal which shows pictures of common every day foods and prepared meals and then that would help to give you a basic idea of the carb content that your boyfriend is eating.

Reactions: 2 people

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sound advice. I feel for you Amy, you obviously love him dearly more than he loves himself. You must be worried sick. My ratios are 1 unit per 10g of carbohydrate, except at breakfast time when I have 3 units. When in the supermarket just start glancing at the carbohydrate content on packets etc it will start to become 'routine' to check and you'll soon learn the carb content of foods. I hope he starts to take an interest in his health soon. Good luck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amy,

Reading some of the other comments people are coming across as fairy judgmental here!

First I would like to say that your boyfriend is very lucky to have such a caring girlfriend who is trying to be supportive and make him see that his health is important.

I know from past experiences when I have gone through bad stages in my control that my boyfriend or family can straight in, come across as critical however I do appreciate that they are only concerned and not saying it out of spite!

My suggestion is to check meal portions and count how many carbohydrates are in a meal and then use his insulin ratio to calculate his units, for example mine is 1unit:10grams of carbs and 1:8 for breakfast as I need more first thing!

My Dr and DSN suggested an iPhone app called Carbs&Cals which I have found works well for me. It shows pictures of food and you can create your own meal which then advised you how many cabs, calories, sugar, fat etc are in the meal. This is particularly useful when going to restaurants and eating out as you don't always know how many carbs are in a meal by just looking at it but this app has been fantastic!

Also why not suggest to your boyfriend that you come along with him at his next Dr's app and speak to the Dr abut your concerns and offer your support to help him be there for him, try and turn your comments in to positives when he does well or checks his Sugars (BG) that may motivate him also.

Well there are plenty more things that I could suggest but it's better to take small steps and small changes.. Good luck!

nclemale

Sometimes its best to be running low sugars when you don't test as often as you should that way if you feel slightly I'll or hypo your forced to put that right . as long as you don't have a major hypo and help is needed to recover from it . I personally didnt test as regular as I should of years ago but I certainly benefit from it now . good luck hun

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Poor you, but well done for getting your partner to actually start injecting etc.

I differ in my advice from earlier poster.... It is not best to run low when not testing your bloods regularly. Your partner could then end up being hypo unaware, and blocking up A&e with a hypo or causing an occidental or accident to occur because of a hypo. Either way, hypos and hypers are dangerous one way or another.

To be honest, I think your next step is to try and persuade partner to do at least one blood test a day. To scare him you may want to do it two hours after a meal...for a nun testing person, this old probably show high levels, and then ask him why he's intent on risking his kidneys and amputation when he can do something about it. If the test proved normal you could say well done, shows the insulin in you is doing good. If low, then tell him he needs less insulin for that food he just ate....don't suggest he can eat more on a daily basis!!!

It is a struggle for you. Is there a causation for him giving up? When talking to him about his diabetes, do consider talking about it opposite each other at a table....this distances you and him emotionally. If you are sat next to each other,this relaxes you Botha d can cause more emotive,heated discussions. You never see business meetings taking place in an office with everybody sat on sofas...... This is effectively you trying to assist your partner to manage his business (body), and it will make a difference. Most business meetings are opposite each other with a table I between. GP surgeries have stopped this pretty much nowadays to give patients the feeling that GP's are more approachable. Normally nowadays patients are sat pretty much on the side of the desk whilst gp's can swivel chairs to look at you and swivel back to see their screens.

Please, even if you don't have a dining table, ask him to sit on the floor with a coffee table I between you both and you sat down as well on the floor.

Hope this helps...