Beaten for having a hypo

Scorpius121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Recently I was having a hypo. Police were called and I was treated as if I was under the influence of drink or alcohol, handcuffed hand and feet, taken to Kennington Police station where I had five officers sitting on me whilst still shackled hands and feet. Then I was stripped naked and whilst this was going on, I was sweating profusely and totally confused as to what was gong on, one of the officers decided that it would be good for him to punch me in the face knocking me unconscious. An ambulance was called for me where eventually I was taken to hospital and treated for having a hypo. While all this was going on, I had the most horrible sensation in the world where my feet were burning so bad that I would have been more than happy to amputate them myself. Can anyone tell me if they have ever been in such a situation especially the burning foot business and also being treated as a drunk or druggie whilst having a hypo.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I haven't been beaten for it. Do you have diabetic ID you can wear?

I was always told to wear some incase I appeared drunk when having a hypo or passed out so people would know what to do to help me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scorpius121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Yes I did have a medical ID stating I am Diabetic and allergic to penicillin which they insisted on taking away from me by force. I am T2 on Levemir,NovoRapid Byetta(Exenatide).

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Goodness me - this is frightening :eek:
This is how and why I have a permanent Diabetic Tattoo .

In fact I am meeting with a hospital official as they are having
issues with A&E dept's sick of diabetics coming in unconcious or in
a coma .
None having ANY medical awareness on them at all .

Medics have to waste/spend many man hours plus 'tests' on concluding the root of the problem .
There is thought of spearheading future campaigns on Diabetics wearing 'some' form of ID .
Even to possibly include tattoo's for 'adults' ?

My tattoo is permanent and worryfree - always on me [left wrist]
Dont have to 'remember' to wear a necklace or bracelet .
Will/can alert all police,paramedics,public safetly and efficiently.

The hospital official is going to interveiw me and take photographs of my tattoo etc.
We do have a great medical alert tattoo thread here for those who wish to read up on it .

As my BG numbers go much lower - I really SLUR my words big time and style .
I loll my head around as I fight the slurring and must look very odd and weird .
Yes we can appear and sound VERY drunk :eek:
When in fact we are in a 'hypo' !

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
As wel as the complaint for assault, i would be querying the separation of you from the ID which warned of your medical conditions (Diabetes & allergy to penicillin) at Chief Constable level and if necesary the media.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You shouldn't get beaten even if you are drunk and not a diabetic. Two policemen should be able to restrain most men and three, any man. I can't see how 'well we thought he was drunk' would be an excuse.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I hope they took your medic id to hospital and informed them? Also that theyhaven't charged you with anything!! I descend upon the court if they do!!

In addition are you hypo unaware? Incidents like this could stop your driving licence if you have one?

In addition prior to the hypo had you had any alcohol? As if they could smell alcohol on you it does make it more difficult to be assessed at the time of a hypo.

Nobody should be thumped whilst being restrained. Was this mentioned by you to the hospital?

Hope you have recovered physically and will assess why you went into a hypo unawareness, and also that you are mentally strong enough to write to the Complaints Commission.

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
My son was taken to the police. Station Sunday night to be interviewed over a dispute with a neighbour he was taken at 9pm I asked the officer how long he would be as he normally takes his glargine insulin at 10pm I also told them he had not had anything to eat since 3pm and that he might run low as he's not a big eater so does not eat much even when he does eat when my son came home at 5am he told me they didn't let him have his insulin till 3am and he had not been asked did he need anything or did he feel as though he was getting low then to top it all off they said they knew this neighbour wasn't telling the truth but they had to still interview my son why couldn't they do it during the day then

C

catherinecherub

I agree equipoise.

Whilst we are all outraged by what has happened, we are hearing a subjective view from the OP.
I think you need to tell us the whole story and what precipitated the arrest. Do you know what behaviour you were exhibiting prior to your arrest and do you know how resistive and were and were you lashing and kicking out? Have you got injuries consistent with a punch in the face that was hard enough to render you unconscious?.
Five police officers stripped a female Type 2 on insulin, why?

These are all questions that will require answers if you decide to proceed with a complaint. There will be police reports that you may have to challenge and you need some legal advice IMHO.
Try and write down what you remember in chronological order and if you can describe any of the police officers who you think acted OTT.

I do have sympathy for you over your account of what happened and hope that this all woks out for you.

How to make a complaint.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints

Edited to add.
Where you with it enough to know if a risk assessment was carried out? If it wasn't then this would count in your favour.
http://www.app.college.police.uk/ap...est-detention-transportation/risk-assessment/

Last edited:

Scorpius121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
No I haven't been beaten for it. Do you have diabetic ID you can wear?

I was always told to wear some incase I appeared drunk when having a hypo or passed out so people would know what to do to help me.

I was wearing a medical ID tag which they insisted upon taking away from me

collectingrocks

Yes, for five burly police officers to sit on you - then for a young female to be stripped naked at the police station for no obvious reason/cause really seems like overkill.

Where were you/what were you doing at the time of the hypo? Can you be absolutely honest with yourself with regard to drinking alcohol? Lack of food + high blood alcohol quickly leads to low blood sugar and therefore a hypo. I know as I've experienced it myself, much to my embarrassment but thank goodness I had family with me who helped me and put me to bed to sleep it off.

If you can be absolutely sure that you were doing nothing untoward at the time, then you have grounds to put in an official complaint to the Chief Constable or higher. But if this gets to court, you might need witnesses, i.e. people who were with you at the time of the hypo along with a medical report.

Can you still remember everything that happened from the time you were bundled into the police van and exactly what happened at the station?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm sure there is another side to this, even so, you should make a
Complaint to Police for the violence and lack of care. A forum is no place for this to be sorted out. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.