Migraine

vespa

Its been many years since I suffered Migraine, 20+ and today I suffered it I recognised the symptoms, a sense of dislocation, then partial vision and a slight numbness of my lower jaw, a small flashing light on left eye, I checked my blood sugar and it was 3.9, I was stunned and immediately had an egg and tomato sandwich, coffee with sugar and a banana to raise my blood sugar, I am guessing this is a side effect of diabetes. but no insulin I must have had a too long a gap between my breakfast 8.30am and the onset of the attack which is about 1pm.

vespa

it seems to have got as bit better, i can see a bit more, I am still feeling the side effect of the attack

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Glad you are feeling a lot better Vespa.. that sounded really awful for you.
Take care..
big-grin-smiley-emoticon.gif

vespa

Thanks for your kind words.

From what I understand this is fairly common among Diabetics.

vespa

Thinking about it it probably what I imagine a hypo might be like. the sense of disassociation and the blurred vision and blood sugar reading of 3.9, unpleasant.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vespa!

I suffer from migraines fairly frequently. I've had them for many years - long before I was diabetic so I don't think they're connected at all to my diabetes. Just one of those things. I take Imigran for them and it does really work to deaden the pain and settle the nausea. I find that the onset of migraine usually sends my BG low - not the other way around i.e. it is the migraine that send me low rather than low numbers causing my migraines. As I'm on insulin, I reduce my background when I have a migraine.

You seemed to take rather a lot of carb for a 3.9 BG - sandwich, banana and sugar in your tea - I would expect that to send your BG very very high. Did you test after to see what your numbers were like?

Hope you're feeling better.
Smidge

vespa

Hi Smidge,
The 3.9 was before I had my sandwich, banana etc. interesting that you mentioned it makes your BG drop.

Last edited by a moderator:

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I've had migraines all my life, used to get stomach migraines as a baby too. But they appear to have nothing to do with my bg. I only got diagnosed with diabetes in Nov 2012, so there doesn't appear to have been any causal link.
I did develop cluster headaches, a much worse type of headache, in may 2013, but again bg didn't seem affected.
I'm now on injections for migraine and cluster headaches. I carry them round with me as I really don't want a cluster when I'm out.

One thing I do note though is that any change to routine can bring on a headache. So getting up late or skipping a meal. I would think it's probably because you skipped a meal, or left too long between, that caused the migraine and the low bg.

Reactions: 2 people