Blurred Vision

Megziee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I am a type 1 diabetic and I am on a pump. Recently I have made some changes for the better and am now on a diet and am monitoring my sugar levels more and taking more of a control of my diabetes as mostly last year I was in great denial about it and was a walking DKA time-bomb. However now I am really trying to be good, eat right and I know that I need to get with it. My sugars are so much better than they have been for such a long time however at the moment I seem to be having some blurred vision and even relatively close up words are blurry and this is concerning for me as I am aware of the link between sugars and eyes. My confusion has come though because of the fact that my sugars are better than before and before I never had blurred vision or anything like that. If anyone can give me a bit more information or personal insights to this I ould be so greatful!

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from some of you soon :)

Feel free to comment about other Diabetic stuff too if you like.

Megan x :)

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Megan,

I would get it checked out as soon as possible - are you having photos of the back of your eyes taken regularly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymond Starr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my eyes was very blurred just after Xmas like you I could not see hardly at all went to speck savers had my eyes check out they was ok then I had a blood test and I found out I was T2 been diagnose now 4 weeks my Bg was 22 and now I got a grip of my Bg which is now 6.9 most days if your eyes are still blurred I would look at your Bg first to see what you if are any where between 4 and 10 they say you are in good control,but any over that is bad for you my eyes are now back to normal hope this helps you in some way

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would suggest getting it checked out, particularly if it is only a recent thing. Try not to panic though as I do tend to find if I am under a lot of stress or very tired then my vision tends to be more blurry.

Megziee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys, my sugars are mostly now under 10 with the odd one above after a miscalculation. Currently I am in France but will try and schedule a eye test when I return. Missed my yearly check so far due to problems with my doctors and stuff. I keep it checked well normally and will get it checked. Trying not to worry too much but always is a worry. I have been rather tired lately with a slightly messed up sleep pattern so that might not be helping the situation either. All of your advice is much appreciated :)

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I find this blurred vision worrying and rang the excellent Diabetes UK helpline on 0345 1232399 and you get advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. They were able to assure me that the blurred vision will get back to normal once your BS level is under control, but this may take up to 3 months of stability.

Good luck

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While Iargely agree with getting advice by phone I do think that blurred vision can be caused by other things than diabetes so a physical check is advisable
CAROL

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Thanks, Carol. You're quite right, of course. The advice I had got from the Diabetes UK helpline was in addition to other symptoms that I had, such as extreme tiredness, neuropathy, diet and high bs levels. I had phoned them back specifically to ask if my blurred vision would get better if I gained control. But I am doing everything in conjunction with my GP. I think it is good advice to everyone not to rely on just one source of information (such as this one), because only then will you get a clearer balance of what's happening.

Russ

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Megziee - how is your vision? Has i improved? I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 and since I started insulin 2 weeks ago my vision is getting worse and worse. My nurse says it's going to pass once my body is used to the insulin, but right now I can barely work... I'm hoping your eyes improved and mine will do quickly as well.

PS.
I'm sorry for any types, but I'm half-blind...

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I was having blurred vision and put it down to high BS levels which cans often be the case. Today I had an eye check at Bo chemists and it appears that I also now,have astigmatism in both eyes which also causes blurred vision. Replacement. Specs on the way and hopefully bye bye blurred vision. If some one has diabetes and then gets blurred vision perhaps BS levels are a good place to start.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Megziee - how is your vision? Has i improved? I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 and since I started insulin 2 weeks ago my vision is getting worse and worse. My nurse says it's going to pass once my body is used to the insulin, but right now I can barely work... I'm hoping your eyes improved and mine will do quickly as well.

PS.
I'm sorry for any types, but I'm half-blind...

Been there, got that tshirt!

It took me nearly 8 weeks for sight to completely settle after starting insulin. But it was only 2 weeks or so until I found some big improvements

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there, got that tshirt!

It took me nearly 8 weeks for sight to completely settle after starting insulin. But it was only 2 weeks or so until I found some big improvements

I'm glad to hear it! Hopefully mine will get better soon :)

chris9996

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Megziee,
Before Christmas I went along to my optician because I was sure I needed new specs., my vision had rapidly got worse and even the TV was blurred. They checked my eyes and took photographs and then told me they were referring me (as an urgent case) to the eye clinic at the hospital because there had been great changes in my retinopathy/maculopathy.

I attended the hospital in January and by then I had made great changes in my diet and my BG levels had dropped from 20+ to around 6mmol. The consultant told me that there was no significant changes from my last visit, but mentioned if your BG drops quickly it affects your vision quickly too. You did say you had made big changes for the better.:D.... has your BG come down a lot?

Anyway the news is good, if that is the problem your vision will return to normal in due course....don't be like me and buys specs you didn't need. :sour:

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
This is heartening to read, Chris. My meds have recently changed to include half a tab of Gliclazide, which made my levels drop like a stone., although it took a week or two but was quite sudden. My blurred vision (no difference in light getting in to my eyes) is still dodgy but will come back, because my blood pressure isn't right either.