BG Rise in Exercise

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know there are situations that will make your BG rise, but what are they?

It's something to do with aerobic and the other type isn't it?!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning!

I've been told by my DSN that Cardio lowers BG and weight lifting raises it somewhat. Therefore she suggested doing weightlifting first and then to do cardio.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will be able to give a more extensive response!

Patch13

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That was kind of my understanding, but cardio made my BG rise this morning so I think I've got something somewhere mixed up in my head!

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless it could be due to something else, e.g. not enough insulin taken with breakfast? illness? or too high intake of glucose as you were exercising (if you take sugar when exercising)?

On occasion when exercising my sugar doesn't do what it is supposed to either!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't have breakfast and didn't have a pre work out snack. I knew I wouldn't be at it for long so just took hypo treatment with me just in case but didn't need them.

I'm sure there's some logic behind it, Elydave or samjb or someone will hopefully fill us in :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you usually not eat before exercise? Otherwise maybe that's why it rose?

I'm sure the others will be able to explain it or have some more scientific ideas than me :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went out first thing, I figure eating would give me a stitch.

Plus I'm not hungry in the mornings lol

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went out first thing, I figure eating would give me a stitch.

Plus I'm not hungry in the mornings lol

Any excercise for me would generally mean a rise in levels if no food eaten. As it was first thing, your body probably thought you needed some sugar so gave you some lol. It works for me to just have a few sips of lucozade just before a workout if a long time since eating last. This provides ready available sugar for my body to use immediately and saves my reserves.

Reactions: 3 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't correct a 9 because a half unit drops me a fair amount so I left it.

Just rechecked for lunch and it had brought itself back to 6.7. Thanks honeymoon ;)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll maybe had a sip of something next time.

Thanks for the link Andy!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
steady aerobic should be using glycogen as fuel in the main, so should drop BG.

Things that are likely to raise BG
- Stress - i.e. a race vs training situation - definitely happens with me once that adrenaline kicks in, but then falls during the race
- anaerobic stuff i.e. hard intervals, as your body is seeing the short sharp shock and doing the fight or flight thing an kicking out glucose, same as the adrenaline response in some ways
- weights (and in my case yoga) see me pretty much level

Circumstances where aerobic may not drop BG for me, so far are first thing in the morning pre basal dose and pre breakfast bolus, so very little circulating insulin. That then limits the bodies ability to burn glucose and should be using more fat as fuel. Hence, ealry morning runs may be slower, but can be very effective fat burners.

Reactions: 3 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
High intensity (e.g. sprinting) = BG increase

Lower intensity (e.g. jogging) = BG decrease

High intensity, followed by low intensity = steady BGs

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I consider yoga low intensity, I also consider weights as low intensity based on the Borg RPE. - both see me as steady BG.

HR capped sessions, or steady sessions with intermediate sprints - major BG lowering.

Sprints = 15 on the scale :borg:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys!

Since I can't run for more than a minute without thinking ill pass out it is 1 minute intervals I've been doing so that, combined with the no breakfast insulin yet seems to be the cause of the morning rise.

I have no ability to pace myself it seems. I can't tell the difference between running and sprinting at this stage. As much as I hate to say it I'm considering joining a gym so I can use their treadmills to set a pace slower pace and hopefully run for longer at a time. No idea if that will work though!

neilalastair

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the western high carb diet.
I went weight training today . Had scrambled eggs on white toast for breakfast when I was at 5.7 and took 5u for that. after the training I was 8.0 this was about 3 hours after the insulin . Anyway I thought that technically I still had a hour to go with my QA so I left it and waited another 2 hours for lunch at which point I was 5.2 . Glad I left it to see what happened as I save myself a jab and a correction . Still experimenting but I don't rush to correct now. Just in case

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Beginner's guide to pacing whilst running is simple:
  • if you can easily hold a conversation whilst running then your at the right steady pace.
  • if you can only speak a few words at a time your at a hard pace.
The former is your warm-up / recovery / resting phase - the latter is your high intensity interval (1 minute) phase.

If you want to do it perfectly you'll need to look at heart rate training.

How long have you been running? How's it going?

I found I had to eat 50g Banana before I go out - even in the morning. Bananas don't spike me, although they do raise my Blood Glucose level.

Keep going.

Tried running last summer and failed, mostly due to hypo fears.

Wearing a HR monitor, 183 bpm at the end of a 1 mile run last night. 9:56 minutes

Initially I could hold a full conversation but 3 minutes in a can barely breathe never mind talk!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slow it down then - distance first speed later! You'll be surprised how little you need to back off to make it easier and you'll be able to go so much further too - bonus! :)

I don't have any pacing ability. It's either run or walk haha I need to work on it a bit!