Unused insulin?

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
This is probably a really silly question but I have a couple of different types of unused and unneeded (changes made to my insulin) insulin pens is anything else I can do with them apart from take them to a pharmacy for disposal?
Perhaps something like a charity or send them to people who could use them? I just find it hard to believe that all this insulin will just be disposed of o_O seems a bit ridiculous to me considering the cost of the medication

leadingjo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
diabetes
This is probably a really silly question but I have a couple of different types of unused and unneeded (changes made to my insulin) insulin pens is anything else I can do with them apart from take them to a pharmacy for disposal?
Perhaps something like a charity or send them to people who could use them? I just find it hard to believe that all this insulin will just be disposed of o_O seems a bit ridiculous to me considering the cost of the medication

leadingjo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
diabetes
I found a pharmacy that sent mine to third world countries

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Thank you for your replies, I have just emailed iddt to see if they can use the insulin pens I no longer need. More schemes like this should be available for unused medication

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There is a campaign to encourage GP's and their PPG's more interested in recycling unused medicines and equipment. Over 1200 Surgeries support this so far.
The GP's have to register online at www.intercare.org.uk

Shame that so many more GP practices are still to sign up, and yet they have posters up in Waiting Rooms moaning about the cost of Medicines not being used!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people