Cheese and crackers.

Cleggsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Might try cheese with the Vogel bread , I had a home made soup yesterday full of veg chicken and a little potatoes and three slices .
Did a reading a few hours later got a reading of 4.3 then 4.8 in the evening after a couple of brown rolls with filling and an apple .
Then 6.6 in the morning can live with that .

Linseed Vogels a bit boring but the the Sunflower and Barley is great with Marmite and a cup of char.

Rikki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Lateral thinking ...

My sister's IBS means that she cannot tolerate wheat, barley or oats. She eats thin slices (cut diagonally to make them a bit bigger) of cucumber, raw carrot etc. or small lettuce (or Savoy cabbage) leaves with whatever topping the rest of us would put on crackers.

mike944

I make my own crackers with milled flax seed which is high fibre and high protein and very low in carbohydrate. I don't have an exact recipe but it is fairly simple. Put the flax in a bowl season to taste with salt, pepper, herbs, etc (whatever you fancy) then add water to make it into a sticky paste. Get two big sheets of grease proof paper to sandwich the mixture between then use a rolling pin to flatten it out. Take off the top piece of paper then put it in a warm oven at around 150c and leave it in until the mixture dries out. You can also chuck some other seeds such as sesame into the mix.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just sent an e-mail to nairns to complain I will let you know if I get any response
CAROL

Reactions: 3 people

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They sound really nice, where can you buy them in the UK?

Apologies for not replying sooner. I've found them in both Waitrose and Sainsbury's, but I would have thought Tesco might stock them as well. They're about £1.20 per pack.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i make elwinas lovley low carb crackers and there yum . x

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend of mine spreads soft cheese (camembert or cream cheese) on hard cheese such as cheddar instead of a biscuit and loves it. Personally I find it too, well, cheesy in taste, but it's worth trying.

I tried making crackers with coconut flour for cheese, but they taste pretty grim. But if I'm honest my favourite thing about cheese is the chutney, so abstinence may be my only low-carb cheese and biscuit solution. :(

Kate

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got an e-mail to say they are sorry and have now changed the printing on the boxes !
CAROL

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Got an e-mail to say they are sorry and have now changed the printing on the boxes !
CAROL

It would be nicer if they actually changed the recipe instead of the packaging so they really were 1 gram of carbs per cracker!:spitoutdummy:

Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I replied that while that was ok what about the expense of the crackers that I bought and now cant eat?
CAROL

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Apologies for not replying sooner. I've found them in both Waitrose and Sainsbury's, but I would have thought Tesco might stock them as well. They're about £1.20 per pack.

Thanks I shall take a look :)

S

Sable_Jan

That is the usual problem for someone wanting to stick to a varied diet, watching both carbs and counting the calories. The crunch though does, in my experience, satisfy the appetite which fat and sugar laden foods don't. You feel you need to bite, crunch and chew food. I also need sharp tastes so I would have very thin slices of a sharp cheddar and then add very thin slices of pickled onion. A couple of crispbread like that tasted good and took the edge off any hunger pangs.
I've found that crackers have far less of an effect on my blood sugar than bread does! Whoah, really heads upwards even with multi-seeded wholemeal bread.... I maybe should try thinner slices cos I've always loved a "proper butty", you know the doorstep thick ones - don't have them quite so thick of recent years but from the results I'm getting I think its down to the crackers now - not quite the same with a couple of fried eggs though I did used to have poached ones with Ryvita with a sprinkling of cheese (now that's when I was a size 10, maybe that says something, though I have just cracked the 13stone barrier!!!!

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Anyone know of a substitute for crackers, cant eat em I suppose cant eat stuff like Melba toast as well .
Looking for something that will go with cheese that is not high in Carbs sugar for an occasional treat ?
What about rice cakes?

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a very low carber but I always have a supply if Kallo rice cakes which come in at 5 carbs per slice. Yes, it is a lot BUT they are really chunky and satisfying especially with a thick slice id cheese on them!! Out of all the crackers available this is the one I'd have, and just one really hits the spot!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dottyjan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
cruelty to animals; the import of rescue dogs from the continent; indiscriminate dog breeding.
these are my favourite snacks - 1 rich tea biscuit spread with whole earth crunchy peanut butter or 1 braeburn apple cut into wedges and dipped into philadelphia light individual pot. not ultra light, tastes of soap to me,

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

charbossy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i know its not the healthiest cheese, but if you get two slices of that processed square cheese (the ones in the wrappers), put one on top of the other and place them on some parchment paper, shove it in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until the top one begins to turn a bit brown. Leave it to cool down for a few mins and it becomes like a thick crispy cheese bread, it tastes just like a cheese straw and is crunchy too. It's a recipe from Dr Bernsteins book. I use the dairylea slices at 2g carbs each.