Basal test... or dear god when does it end?!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So after mondays **** storm I got up with a 10.6 which is quite good for me tbf. especially after pizza.

so i figured this would be a good morning basal test day. I made a spreadsheet to make sure I ticked all the boxes
upload_2014-2-7_11-9-51.png

Excuse the TMI but I think thats **** good! slight increase but currently on a flat rate so we can fix that easily.

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yup, I would agree that's good, good enough not to actually change your rate between those hours....

of course minor tweaking is acceptable if your up for it.....

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks Novorapidboi!

To end this i went from 12.7 @ 11.40 to 11.7@ 12pm noticed the drop on CGM... (Insulin from somewhere?!?!)

iHs

Hi

The best way to get basal rates sorted is to start about 5hrs after eating evening meal (try to get bolus dose correct for eating something that isnt going to cause bg levels to go up the wall so that no correction needs to be done) and then unfortunately, get up in the night every 2hrs and do bg test. Once youve got the night basal rate done, its easier then to sort out the daytime slots.

There is an awful lot of trial and error though especially with adjusting the rates. Nothing is ever fixed 'just like that' unfortunately.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spreadsheet is awfully basic for an engineer ;)

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 3 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is and I know this is going to sound a bit stupid but if I dont eat carbs I dont tend to fluctuate very much at all (when between 15-17 u of basal). I also wear a CGM constantly so am I not basically doing a basal test every night?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
does the cgm just send the info to the pump...........?

do you use that information when bolusing.....?

what about the delay in glucose levels......?

what pump you on.....?

lots of questions, sorry.......

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the CGM and pump handset are the same thing so when i look at my pump it displays my BG.

Do i use that info when bolusing... sometimes. if im having a snack <25g carbs then ill use it to decide if i need to to my bg, but its highly accurate and is calibrated 2-4 times a day (i still test a minium of 4 times)

delay is tiny <5mins. ive never been shocked when looking at the difference between CGM and monitor (99% is less than 0.5m/mol difference)

Im on Animas vibe :)

Not a problem :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah but i also have a duplication of information with the CGM and pump. Any suggestions ;)
Output of one of my spreadsheets. Guess which month I was ill!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1391778057.182177.jpg

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The problem is and I know this is going to sound a bit stupid but if I dont eat carbs I dont tend to fluctuate very much at all (when between 15-17 u of basal). I also wear a CGM constantly so am I not basically doing a basal test every night?
yep Personally i get completely different results if I have to wake myself up and have broken sleep compared to a solid lump of sleep so would just go on the CGM for overnights as well as for the rest of the time fasting. What I'm doing is just calibrating in the morning and then again at lunch, dinner and bed and then just using the CGM reading to see how square i am or not. Might be worth doing basal tests on different types of days as well so you can have different basal profiles to hand. have you figured out your lag of insulin yet (I mean when you change your basal level when it will kick in) that's key for me as sometimes it can change takes a while in the morning 2 hours 1 hour in the afternoon and about 1.5hrs in the evening. I used to have it all as 2 hours before i got the CGM it's really helped tighten me up. i can't stop looking at the thing it's becomming addictive!!

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yep Personally i get completely different results if I have to wake myself up and have broken sleep compared to a solid lump of sleep so would just go on the CGM for overnights as well as for the rest of the time fasting. What I'm doing is just calibrating in the morning and then again at lunch, dinner and bed and then just using the CGM reading to see how square i am or not. Might be worth doing basal tests on different types of days as well so you can have different basal profiles to hand. have you figured out your lag of insulin yet (I mean when you change your basal level when it will kick in) that's key for me as sometimes it can change takes a while in the morning 2 hours 1 hour in the afternoon and about 1.5hrs in the evening. I used to have it all as 2 hours before i got the CGM it's really helped tighten me up. i can't stop looking at the thing it's becomming addictive!!
Yeah I know what you mean!!

I'm a very solid 2 hours before my insulin kicks in but just slightly less in the morning on bolus - i was assuming it would be the same~?

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought it would be a flat rate as well or at least that's what I was basing it on for the last 7 years anyways with the CGM my eyes are wide open!