Drink and diabetes

scooterlad75

It seems these days after a few drinks I struggle to stay awake, or just plain pass out. This never used to be a problem, only noticed it a few months before being diagnosed as type 2. Could this be related to my diabetes?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
depends what you drink.............

if its beer/lager/cider/liqueur your blood sugar will want to rise with the carbs that are in them.....so this could be making you lethargic.......

best thing to do is test your levels during the times your having a drink............

alcohol can and will drop levels,how much and how fast again depends on the strength of alcohol your drinking, but for a type 2 on no medication at least this shouldn't be a problem as the pancreas will respond accordingly....

what's your poison?

Reactions: 2 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
depends what you drink.............

if its beer/lager/cider/liqueur your blood sugar will want to rise with the carbs that are in them.....so this could be making you lethargic.......

best thing to do is test your levels during the times your having a drink............

alcohol can and will drop levels,how much and how fast again depends on the strength of alcohol your drinking, but for a type 2 on no medication at least this shouldn't be a problem as the pancreas will respond accordingly....

what's your poison?
Did, I read this correctly ? Alcohol lowers BG levels ? If so, why am I not drinking any ? **** !

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

It seems these days after a few drinks I struggle to stay awake, or just plain pass out. This never used to be a problem, only noticed it a few months before being diagnosed as type 2. Could this be related to my diabetes?

A lot depends on how many you consider a few drinks and what you are drinking.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well in a non diabetic, the pancreas would respond by decreasing its output of insulin.........

it happens because the liver, which normal function amongst others, it to supply a constant flow of glucose around the body........when you drink the liver immediately wants to get rid of the alcohol and so its normal function is disrupted.....

for medicated diabetics, this can cause hypos.......

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Alcohol lowers blood sugar, just look at the kebab house at closeing time, I allways have a couple of glasses of red wine with food in the evening I can eat more and it reduces glucose levels, it is more effective than metformin I even asked my Doc. if i could have it on prescription,

But don't have more than 2 small glasses if you take metformin.

I don't drink alot of beer anymore as there are too many carbs and not enough alcohol, so have it with whiskey.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

I'd say yes.
A glass of wine, I was out like a light, barely made it from the table to my armchair.
After diagnosis, metformin, diet change, and good bs again, I can have a drink or two with no effect.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack Daniels? scrumpy Jack ?
CAROL

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
OR both together...The ULTIMATE snake bite! lol

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeap, before diagnoses afew drinks would have put me out like a light. After bringing my BG down to normal limits I've done some of my best drinking, even while on metformin. :dead:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
A good chilean cabernet sauvignon,Jack daniels,Bombay sapphire Gin and me and my BG numbers are both happy.:)

Reactions: 5 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started My Australian Shiraz i will just not have to use booze to try to put weight on I like my wine at w/e
CAROL

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Just need someone to post and admit they were that ratted that they mistakenly pis*ed in the wardrobe thinking they were actually taking a slash in the En-Suite! :woot::hilarious:

Reactions: 4 people
S

Shiv Dixit

There are three main ways drinking alcohol to excess can be a factor in causing diabetes:

1.Heavy drinking can reduce the body’s sensitivity to insulin, which can trigger type 2 diabetes .
2.Diabetes is a common side effect of chronic pancreatitis, which is overwhelmingly caused by heavy drinking.
3.Alcohol contains a huge amount of calories – one pint of lager can be equivalent to a slice of pizza. So drinking can also increase your chance of becoming overweight and your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.so The only thing is reduce the quantities of your drinkd\s.