The Yogurt Effect (on me)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Had same thing happen to me today. Had Fage greek yoghurt, about 6 raspberries, 8 blueberries, a couple of macadamia nuts. Ate it at 7:00 am, by 10am blood was still at 9.8.
I normally have a protein shake for breakfast, or occasionally a couple of slices of livlife toast. Went down the yoghurt route because I felt like I needed a change. I'm not doing it again!
Well I never! Was just about to make an update on here. Sorry you're having the same problem Luceeloo. Ive been experimenting and by reducing the yogurt to 80g, my BG has been around 6.4 - 6.6 two hours later and, strangely enough, has remained almost the same 3 and 4 hrs later! Not saying it'll work for you, just a solution for me, lol.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I never! Was just about to make an update on here. Sorry you're having the same problem Luceeloo. Ive been experimenting and by reducing the yogurt to 80g, my BG has been around 6.4 - 6.6 two hours later and, strangely enough, has remained almost the same 3 and 4 hrs later! Not saying it'll work for you, just a solution for me, lol.

I shall do some experimenting over the weekend. I eat yoghurt on an evening no probs, but never really for breakfast. I'm slightly suspicious of the berries for this spike lol.

Getting a bit fed up with random spikes ... Would exist on my diet whey shake if it didn't taste ronky!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I shall do some experimenting over the weekend. I eat yoghurt on an evening no probs, but never really for breakfast. I'm slightly suspicious of the berries for this spike lol.

Getting a bit fed up with random spikes ... Would exist on my diet whey shake if it didn't taste ronky!

Yep, the berries were my first thought. How about just having either blueberries OR raspberries, not the two?
I really can't imagine what that whey shake tastes like, it sounds a bit grim to me :***:;)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
blackberries are the best of the berries i think :) also my favourite so i may not be objective here

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, the berries were my first thought. How about just having either blueberries OR raspberries, not the two?
I really can't imagine what that whey shake tastes like, it sounds a bit grim to me :***:;)

Well I tried a "vanilla" one, which was reviewed on amazon as being "delicious". However, it was sweeter than anything I had ever tasted... And not in a good way. But I got through a kilo of the stuff... Waste not want not.
Did more research for my most recent batch, and went with a "chocolate orange" one which tastes neither chocolatey nor orangey. But if blitzed with ice cubes and some unsweetened almond milk, tastes palatable.
I read stories of people losing tons of weight drinking using them as meal replacement shakes, however, I have come to the conclusion that said folk must have no tastebuds.
I use them because I tire easily of Lchf food. I personally spent my formative years disliking red meat, eggs, cheese... Lol.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
blackberries are the best of the berries i think :) also my favourite so i may not be objective here
Lol, I have blackberries in the freezer which I picked last autumn from the hedges around here. They are my "treasures" and to be eaten in small quantities! It's a long time until late summer and hopefully another good crop :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
they do say the best things in life are free, in the case of blackberries theyre right huh

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Blueberries are on offer at Aldi for 69p for a 150g pack, I've been buying frozen lately but fancied some fresh for a change :)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Well I tried a "vanilla" one, which was reviewed on amazon as being "delicious". However, it was sweeter than anything I had ever tasted... And not in a good way. But I got through a kilo of the stuff... Waste not want not.
Did more research for my most recent batch, and went with a "chocolate orange" one which tastes neither chocolatey nor orangey. But if blitzed with ice cubes and some unsweetened almond milk, tastes palatable.
I read stories of people losing tons of weight drinking using them as meal replacement shakes, however, I have come to the conclusion that said folk must have no tastebuds.
I use them because I tire easily of Lchf food. I personally spent my formative years disliking red meat, eggs, cheese... Lol.

:) @ your LFHC comment. Doesn't leave you too much choice :). Are you having success with the shakes, ie losing lots of weight. I have always wondered what happens when you start to eat "real" food again. Think I'd feel very cheated if all my food came from a shake, lol

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Blueberries are on offer at Aldi for 69p for a 150g pack, I've been buying frozen lately but fancied some fresh for a change :)
I bought the Aldi blueberries yesterday....then saw some in M&S reduced from £2 to £1. 20..... No one was buying, lol

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
:) @ your LFHC comment. Doesn't leave you too much choice :). Are you having success with the shakes, ie losing lots of weight. I have always wondered what happens when you start to eat "real" food again. Think I'd feel very cheated if all my food came from a shake, lol

I've lost about 4 stone, but it's rare that I have a shake more than once a day. So the weight loss is solely due to low carbing and exercising. I first started on them because metformin made me feel so nauseous, but eating nothing during the nausea made me feel even worse... now they're just an easy option for a quick breakfast before work.
I work with a man who is currently paying a lot of money to a private doctor, and he has put him on a shakes and soups diet. He has sachets of shakes or soups and has to drink 8 in total per day, but eat no food. He lost 17lbs in the first two weeks, which is amazing... but I can't see how it works in the long term because surely the weight goes back on when real food is back on the menu?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
ok i tested the yogurt this morning, i had as much as possible number one because i love it and two so the test would be extreme

first test after shower was 8.8 this is high for me i hope because i rarely test and assume its lower so will be testing tomorrow hehe, but i am on the back end of a cold and have murderous neuralgia in my face last couple of days so maybe that has put it up a bit, weirdly i tested again after washing my hands again maybe a minute later and it was 7.2 so beats the hell out of me anyway....

7:00 am 8.8 & 7.2

7:30 am 350 grams fage natural greek yogurt, 6 blackberries, 10 blueberries, 2 strawberries and 10 raspberries with a spoon full of linwoods milled flax (basically a big bowl full yum)

8:30 am 5.5

9:30 am 4.8

no idea what conclusions to draw from this as i think i started from an unusually high number but i think it shows with that quantity of food (more than i would usually have in the week) it dosent put my bgs up

incidentally I'm still bloated lol I'm intending to run 15+ miles at 1pm so it'll be interesting how far the morning yogurt will get me hehe

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I've lost about 4 stone, but it's rare that I have a shake more than once a day. So the weight loss is solely due to low carbing and exercising. I first started on them because metformin made me feel so nauseous, but eating nothing during the nausea made me feel even worse... now they're just an easy option for a quick breakfast before work.
I work with a man who is currently paying a lot of money to a private doctor, and he has put him on a shakes and soups diet. He has sachets of shakes or soups and has to drink 8 in total per day, but eat no food. He lost 17lbs in the first two weeks, which is amazing... but I can't see how it works in the long term because surely the weight goes back on when real food is back on the menu?

Wow, well done you! and you're keeping it off too, which I think is harder than actually losing it. I've always shied away from liquid diets but in conjunction with LCHF I can see it's a manageable option.
Think I know the diet your colleague is paying a fortune for. My younger son did it, lost about eight stone, modified to a more realistic eating plan, which involved going to see a nutritionist at Loughborough University, has become super fit, does Ironman contests for a hobby, lol, and now eats a Paleo diet. He must have spent thousands changing his lifestyle but for him it's been the answer so I guess it's been worth it....... ?

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
ok i tested the yogurt this morning, i had as much as possible number one because i love it and two so the test would be extreme

first test after shower was 8.8 this is high for me i hope because i rarely test and assume its lower so will be testing tomorrow hehe, but i am on the back end of a cold and have murderous neuralgia in my face last couple of days so maybe that has put it up a bit, weirdly i tested again after washing my hands again maybe a minute later and it was 7.2 so beats the hell out of me anyway....

7:00 am 8.8 & 7.2

7:30 am 350 grams fage natural greek yogurt, 6 blackberries, 10 blueberries, 2 strawberries and 10 raspberries with a spoon full of linwoods milled flax (basically a big bowl full yum)

8:30 am 5.5

9:30 am 4.8

no idea what conclusions to draw from this as i think i started from an unusually high number but i think it shows with that quantity of food (more than i would usually have in the week) it dosent put my bgs up

incidentally I'm still bloated lol I'm intending to run 15+ miles at 1pm so it'll be interesting how far the morning yogurt will get me hehe
The two fasting BGs are interesting Andy, also high for you but as you said probably due to cold and neuralgia (ouch!) Good luck with the run :)
I'm amazed how well your bg coped with such a huge amount of yog and fruit, and dealt with it fast. Mine would send me into orbit! Apart from being very fit, which you obviously are, I'm wondering how much age plays a part. I know as we get older we naturally need less food and I'm curious as to whether age brings with it a decreased ability to metabolise glucose, hence playing a part in the number of elderly people who become T2. I'm sure the answer isn't rocket science!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi Andy,has the doctor put you on Carbamazepine for the symptoms? if not it might be worth mentioning to him/her.
I know someone with neuralgia and they tell me it aint nice at all so you have my sympathy mate.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi Andy,has the doctor put you on Carbamazepine for the symptoms? if not it might be worth mentioning to him/her.
I know someone with neuralgia and they tell me it aint nice at all so you have my sympathy mate.

thanks mate, ive suffered from it for years, its always in my head and face and always only on one side, it basically feels like someone has smacked me around the face with a table tennis bat full throttle hehe, nurofen used to help but i cant take them anymore boooooo, but tbh ive had it so long i just ignore it, plus im double hard lol plus it gives me something to moan about

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Any yoghurt I buy raises my BG :(, so finally I worked out how to make my own low-carb version using cream instead of milk. I have a yoghurt maker into which I put a teaspoonful of natural live yoghurt and a big pot (600ml) of double cream and stir. It takes the same length of time as ordinary milk yoghurt and has the same carbs as double cream. Such a relief from bacon and eggs!

Kate

Reactions: 3 people

Kallyloo

A cream yoghurt sounds lovely but a bit time consuming, wish I had the time. The best commercial yoghurt I've found is Liberte Greek at 3.7 gms of carbs per 100gms , it's lovely and incredibly thick. It is Also 0% fat but if that bothers you, you can always add a bit of cream.