Diagnosed last week! Help!

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Hello everyone,
I was diagnosed with type 2 last week my HbA1c reading was 7.1%. I was prescribed with 2 x 500 mgs of Metformin per day! My blood pressure was also raised so I was given 2.5 mg of Rampril to take too! My cholesterol level is 4.
I'm a 55 year old man that is fairly active with work plus exercise. Including walking my dog twice a day I average about 25 miles walking a week. However although I'm 6ft 2 tall my bmi is 34 which means I'm probably 3 to 4 stone overweight! I eat sensibly like eating fresh fruit and vegetables on a daily basis plus white meat and fish!

I live alone at the moment with my dog so at the moment I'm feeling insecure at times though I'm very thankful that I've found this site which has answered a lot of my questions already for me!

I'm not too sure what my HbA1c number means is it high or low or borderline? What happens next? etc etc.

Thanks for reading.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome :)

Sorry youve had the bad news :( its all a bit overwhelming at first and not having a partner to talk to about it must make it hard, you should expect to go through some emotions anger, denial etc etc thats perfectly normal, its just a natural process we all experience to varying degrees.

the good news: by eating healthily and losing some weight coupled with a reduction in your carbohydrate you eat you can control this, the exercsie is great and will help and the diet your eating is also good which strangely isnt brilliant because you have less to improve on, but the weight loss will be a great help, there are many ways to achieve this and we here must be amongst the most knowledgable folks on the planet at it, my advice would be to have a read at some threads and look for something that sounds like it may suit your lifestyle, it comes up ALOT :)

your numbers are high but not too bad :) so its not all bad, and the metformin is considered a very safe drug by most so nothing to worry about there (imho) anyway ask away, have a read, try to stay positive!

best of luck!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An HBa1C of 7.1% is a bit on the high side and needs to go below 7. You probably need to reduce your carbs a bit to get your weight down; this should also help with the blood sugar. The metformin will help a little but the diet will be the biggest help. The foods you mention are fine, so it may be only small changes are needed? What do you have for breakfast?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi and welcome Bullseye

I was recently diagnosed with a HbA1c of 7.9%. It is amazing how quickly this comes down with a few tweaks to your lifestyle. Stick around and you will pick up lots of good habits :happy:

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Welcome Bullseye!

You are never alone in here.

Reggie64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who think they know a lot about Diabetes and actually don't.
Welcome Bullseye.

I am also new to this site - you will find it very helpful with some excellent information and conversations.

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Welcome... Cut out all sugars. Don't touch coke, Pepsi, juices. Cut out processed foods, starchy stuff like mash spuds, pasta and bread. Loose weight and you'll get those numbers down. There's loads of good info in these forum threads.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Hi, Welcome :)

Sorry youve had the bad news :( its all a bit overwhelming at first and not having a partner to talk to about it must make it hard, you should expect to go through some emotions anger, denial etc etc thats perfectly normal, its just a natural process we all experience to varying degrees.

the good news: by eating healthily and losing some weight coupled with a reduction in your carbohydrate you eat you can control this, the exercsie is great and will help and the diet your eating is also good which strangely isnt brilliant because you have less to improve on, but the weight loss will be a great help, there are many ways to achieve this and we here must be amongst the most knowledgable folks on the planet at it, my advice would be to have a read at some threads and look for something that sounds like it may suit your lifestyle, it comes up ALOT :)

your numbers are high but not too bad :) so its not all bad, and the metformin is considered a very safe drug by most so nothing to worry about there (imho) anyway ask away, have a read, try to stay positive!

best of luck!
Thank you for your reply its appreciated.

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Welcome... Cut out all sugars. Don't touch coke, Pepsi, juices. Cut out processed foods, starchy stuff like mash spuds, pasta and bread. Loose weight and you'll get those numbers down. There's loads of good info in these forum threads.

Thanks for your good advise.

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Hi and welcome Bullseye

I was recently diagnosed with a HbA1c of 7.9%. It is amazing how quickly this comes down with a few tweaks to your lifestyle. Stick around and you will pick up lots of good habits :happy:
Thanks for your reply.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bullseye

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad you found your way on to this site.

If you have not read the basic information given to the newly diagnosed already, here Is a link:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ind...-Newly-Diagnosed-Diabetics.26870/#post-247834

If you have any questions, ask away.

Come back here whenever you want to talk to somebody who knows what is like to have this condition. You will find plenty on here who are very knowledgable and extremely friendly and willing to help.

Try not to worry too much. Things can appear a bit overwhelming at first and, as others have stated on first diagnosis it is common to experience a roller coaster of emotion, but you will find that things soon settle down.

Diabetes is a serious condition. If you respect it though and make the necessary lifestyle changes it is a condition that can be manged and allow for a full and satisfying life. So it is not all bad news.

Welcome to the forum!

Pavlos

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
Hi Bullseye

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad you found your way on to this site.

If you have not read the basic information given to the newly diagnosed already, here Is a link:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/ind...-Newly-Diagnosed-Diabetics.26870/#post-247834

If you have any questions, ask away.

Come back here whenever you want to talk to somebody who knows what is like to have this condition. You will find plenty on here who are very knowledgable and extremely friendly and willing to help.

Try not to worry too much. Things can appear a bit overwhelming at first and, as others have stated on first diagnosis it is common to experience a roller coaster of emotion, but you will find that things soon settle down.

Diabetes is a serious condition. If you respect it though and make the necessary lifestyle changes it is a condition that can be manged and allow for a full and satisfying life. So it is not all bad news.

Welcome to the forum!

Pavlos
Thanks Pavlos.

Reactions: 2 people