Why no blood sugar test device?

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
I asked my nurse if I needed to get a blood sugar testing device for which she replied no! She gave me another blood test form plus a pot to pee into in readiness for my next appointment on the 24th February!
So my question is why wasn't I offered a device to test my blood sugar levels? Although I'm taking the medication as prescribed I'm in the dark regarding what my sugar levels are etc. Yes I understand that my next review is only 16 days away but from reading posts on here I get the impression that having a blood sugar meter is a must have piece of equipment!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
What meds are you taking ? Really frustrating but some healthcare providers think testing will stress people out ! Crazy ! There are many companies that give the meters away free but look at the cost of strips should you wish to go down self funding route.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a vital piece if equipment for keeping an eye on spikes in you blood sugar. Don't go out and buy a meter if they won't supply you with a meter there are plenty of free meters on the internet. The one I use is the sanofi meter and it comes with 50 test strips.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, the reason we dont all get the means to test our own blood is that the nhs sucks,

its the most important thing to gain control,

you will unfortunately have to buy this yourself, well the strips anyway

i think its criminal not to give testing equipment to all of us, and insane

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I assume you are Type 2 on meds. The NHS in general does give out meters as they say they are unnecessary and they rely on the HbA1c test which takes s three month average.

Many of the forum members strongly disagree with that approach as without testing it is difficult to understand which foods affect you BG levels and so you cannot adjust your diet accordingly.

Sadly the only solution is to get your own meter. Many recommend the SDCodefree as the test strips are much cheaper than others. Many manufacturers have promotions that will give you a meter for free as they know you will then buy their more expensive strips. (I suggest you tell them a little white lie that you are Type 1 on insulin as they are more likely to send you one).

Reactions: 4 people

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
What meds are you taking ? Really frustrating but some healthcare providers think testing will stress people out ! Crazy ! There are many companies that give the meters away free but look at the cost of strips should you wish to go down self funding route.

Hi.
I've just started taking 2 x500 mgs of Metformin.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi.
I've just started taking 2 x500 mgs of Metformin.
That's probably why then. Those drugs are not BG lowering so many won't gice meters which is crazy as although you may not go low, how can you tell if you are too high ? Mad ! There have been a few that have gone back to their docs and argued their case that they want to understand highs/spikes etc and been given some strips but many don't unfortunately. As others have said, if you are in a position to self fund, it will make a huge difference to your control. Even if you can only fund short term, you will quickly gain an understanding into what foods to avoid and what are OK.

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

I believe it is all down to cost Thousands of people are now T2 and to give them all prescription test strips would just cost the NHS to much money

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I believe it is all down to cost Thousands of people are now T2 and to give them all prescription test strips would just cost the NHS to much money
And those responsible will have moved on by the time the cost implications of their policies "come home to roost" - such are the fruits of "short term"ism

Reactions: 6 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I just went right out and purchased a meter which is actually a low-cost item because I felt that it was important for me to know what foods affect my BG levels. No good me asking my doc because I don't have a diagnosis, i'm simply high risk. But it's something that I wanted to understand and get in to control for my own peace of mind and wellbeing. I'm certainly not telling the doc that I self-monitor. I have to sacrifice other things out of my budget to afford the strips but I need to know! My mom gets 50 strips every 60 days.. that's not even enough to test once a day! Madness.
:jimlad:

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ring around some of the meter manufacturers, most are more than happy to give them away as they make their money from the test strips.

Raymond Starr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you no how much these test strips are ????? Because I do has I ran out of my last week I went to boots Asda and super drug my is just the free style opium ok come back to me if you do no ok and they are only in pacts of 50

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it's down to cost. If you are strapped for cash then look at eBay for strips but check that the end date is OK. Some of these strips are ex-prescription so you have to decide where you sit on the morals front.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Yes, it's down to cost. If you are strapped for cash then look at eBay for strips but check that the end date is OK. Some of these strips are ex-prescription so you have to decide where you sit on the morals front.

I used eBay too. I wasn't sure where they'd have got them from and did wonder if they were off the NHS but I just can't afford 50 or 60p per strip. So I'm hoping that the ones that I buy are those that were purchased from the chemist and are no longer required, as I really don't like people cashing in like that. There's too much of it going on these days, whilst the country and the NHS fall to pieces around us :banghead:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Do you no how much these test strips are ????? Because I do has I ran out of my last week I went to boots Asda and super drug my is just the free style opium ok come back to me if you do no ok and they are only in pacts of 50

Ray, how much were they at Boots?

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Glucomen LX which I got for free from the mnfr and I pay around £20 for 50 from my local chemist who keeps them in stock for me. Saves me postage or travelling expenses as well. Check that you get them zero rated for VAT as a registered diabetic.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The SD Codefree meter off of amazon is great and strips are quite inexpensive .. I am also not letting my Dn know I test.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a code free that I buy strips for but I also have an aviva nano and I argue with my GP that I am a responsible patient and I want to keep a check on how I am managing by DB he can sometimes be persuaded to let me have some strips if I make them last a long long long time (his words)
CAROL