Sweet Tooth!

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Anyone got any good ideas/suggestions on how to curb sugar cravings. I have tried the obvious substitute fruit instead of sugar, drinking more water and distracting tactics but none of these seem to work for me, HELP! All I want is more chocolate and biscuits, I mean .....come on let's be realistic how can you eat just one tiny square of chocolate, seriously depressed!!!!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I switched my sweet tooth for spicy. Hot curries, hot chilis and the need for sweet stuff just disappeared eventually.

Katiemorag

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I get a sweet craving I substitute fat. So carrot sticks and cream cheese or lump of cheese or handful of almonds. If I HAVE TO have something sweet I drink shot glasses of low calorie fizzy pop - the effort of filling them up each time slows you down. If I give in to a couple of biscuits I break them into small pieces to make it harder/slower to eat.

As you can see, I also think its mostly a battle with your head so keep at those distraction tactics - I'm going to adopt the water one.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sweetstuff

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with Katiemorag, its a head battle ! My sweet tooth faded more when I tried to make low carb alternative treats and realised they didn't work for me for a number of reasons......Diet 7up is the back up treat now.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I really don't think you can stop having a sweet tooth. I could live off chocolate and cake. I don't really like savoury food and what i do like i suppose is quite limited. I prefer sweet, even being diabetic I can't really stop eating chocolate

Reactions: lorraine95

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i think having a sweet tooth is natural, sweet things taste great, thats why they put sugar in stuff, i would approach it as an addiction, it will only get easier with time, the longer you go without sugar the easier it gets which dosent help at first but the knowledge that it does get easier is a comfort of sorts, you just have grit your teeth and be strong, think of it as heroin and its slowly killing you, is it easy? nope! but whats the alternative? it has to be your choice... so just choose

one day at a time

Reactions: 4 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes, frozen atkins bars, especially the coconut ones - that was me!

Diet fizzy drinks help me. I drink Diet Coke like it was water

I also have an unhealthy relationship with chilli Philadelphia and celery at the moment

mike944

Cocoa is good. Buy decent cocoa powder, check the ingredients and make sure it is pure cocoa with no sugar added. I make it with unsweetened soya milk which is very low carbohydrate then sweeten with sweetener, I use stevia. I use Green and Blacks cocoa powder which is 13.60g carbohydrate per 100g and you probably only use about 10 or 15 grams.

Reactions: lorraine95

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Yes, frozen atkins bars, especially the coconut ones - that was me!

Diet fizzy drinks help me. I drink Diet Coke like it was water

I also have an unhealthy relationship with chilli Philadelphia and celery at the moment
Where can I buy Atkins bars? I have heard a lot about them on here so obviously very popular.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Thank you all for all your replies. I am getting there slowly but just have chocolate binges, as Andy12345 said, it is a addiction that really takes hold of you but if you can give up smoking then sugar should be a breeze coupled with willpower :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for all your replies. I am getting there slowly but just have chocolate binges, as Andy12345 said, it is a addiction that really takes hold of you but if you can give up smoking then sugar should be a breeze coupled with willpower :)

Have you tried high percentage dark chocolate? I find this has little effect on my blood sugar and I only need to have a little piece of it. You can get 100% cocoa bars.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Yes I love dark chocolate but unfortunately it gives me migraine so I stay clear of it but I saw my diabetic dietician today and she recommended 'Naked Bars" which are ok for Type 2's. Thank you dtennnant9

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I love dark chocolate but unfortunately it gives me migraine so I stay clear of it but I saw my diabetic dietician today and she recommended 'Naked Bars" which are ok for Type 2's. Thank you dtennnant9

I am type 1 and quite often have the Nakd bars for a snack and they seem to work out well.

Karbstruck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice
Low carb/ low calorie jelly is a help. Good with cream. :cat:

I prefer fresh fruit, but that increases my BS somewhat.

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
This is what I find really confusing that fresh fruit increases your BS and isn't cream bad for you? I don't know that is why I am asking I need educating in a complete whole new food/diet regime because all the things that I thought I could eat I can't and vice versa (totally confused) :( Actually I like sugar free Jelly idea and I have just found out that I like advocado's :)

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Just found a really nice coconut milk yoghurt with mixed berries with no added sugar, dairy free, gluten free, lactose free, a little expensive but well worth it if you can't tolerance any of the above. Not sure if I am allowed to mention the name but if it's not appropriate im sure the moderators will take it down. It's called CO YO and is delicious :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I love dark chocolate but unfortunately it gives me migraine so I stay clear of it ...

I've always avoided dark chocolate as a migraine trigger, but recently I tried the Lindt 85% dark choccie, and that has been fine with me so far. My husband loves the Green & Black bars but those have always been a no-no for me!

On a low carb diet then fats such as cream, butter, full fat yoghurt are definitely good for you - I'm losing weight eating them and my cholesterol level has dropped to 2.7 from around 4-5. They seem to help keep my appetite down too. So a few berries (which are the best fruits to eat sugar wise) and a dollop of yoghurt or cream are a nice treat.

I agree with Andy too, the sugar urge does get less over time.

Robbity