can anyone tell me what is an acceptable amount of carbs to eat.

CUILLIN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work,
Hello, not posted for a long time, but I wondered if there is a safe amount of carbs that you should eat, and is there a list anywhere on this site that would give how many carbs in foods?
I was a couple of years ago following low carb eating and was doing very well and weight came down and also blood sugars, I was delighted and felt so much better. However, I became ill with anxiety and stress last year, and couldn't maintain my eating habits, since then I've put on weight and blood sugars are not so great, I've not managed to sort myself out yet, but hope to do so.
When I started to low carb, I really went cold turkey, find I can't do that now, so will have to find a way to start again. I would be grateful if my questions could be answered by someone who is more informed than me, thank you Kate

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb is a way for life really, are you sure you want to go that way, or do you think it's worth trying a different diet?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Atkins for the first 2 weeks is under 25g of carbs, I eat between 20/100 grams per day. It really is about testing with your meter and avoiding the obvious carbs e.g. rice, bread, pasta, or anything white. If you want to count your carbs, fatsecret or fitness pal offer good sites for inputting the food.
Blood sugar 101 or diet doctor are good sites for advising what to eat.

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
To give an exact amount of carbs is impossible. People here range from 30g-300g ! Try to reduce your carb intake gradually and find a level for you that is sustainable long term. As for a list showing carbs, there are quite a few but some contradict themselves. Food labels probably most accurate but you can Google "DAFNE carbohydrate list" or use an app like MyFitnessPal or similar. Hope you manage to get back on track. Remember, regular exercise will really help too.
Mo

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Get the book Carbs and Cals- it's a great start, it has photos of real food in portion sizes. Very informative.

I learned a lot and I was fairly switched on with calories, fibre etc. Carbs was a whole new world

Reactions: 6 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
foodfocus.com is helpful. It will analyse your diet input and show you graphs of your ratio of carbs, fat, protein, exercise and weight loss. Coping with anxiety and stress is difficult and easier said than done! Try to build relaxation into each day and think of your healthy diet as a way of being kind to yourself. You've done it before, you can do it again, good luck and best wishes.

CUILLIN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Work,
Thank you everyone for your advice, all most helpful, Kate x

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, as you already have seen the benefits of low carbing, please don't be put off, my personal technique was to treat it as a numbers game, i used the myfitnesspal app on my phone which also syncs to the iPad and looked at the highest carb value on that day and tried to reduce it, once id succeeded in getting that meal below another meal id work on alternatives to that, therefore reducing the carbs as i went until i got to a level my bgs and weight were happy with, hope that makes sense, good luck

Hello, not posted for a long time, but I wondered if there is a safe amount of carbs that you should eat, and is there a list anywhere on this site that would give how many carbs in foods?
I was a couple of years ago following low carb eating and was doing very well and weight came down and also blood sugars, I was delighted and felt so much better. However, I became ill with anxiety and stress last year, and couldn't maintain my eating habits, since then I've put on weight and blood sugars are not so great, I've not managed to sort myself out yet, but hope to do so.
When I started to low carb, I really went cold turkey, find I can't do that now, so will have to find a way to start again. I would be grateful if my questions could be answered by someone who is more informed than me, thank you Kate

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The acceptable amount of carbs to eat has to be determined by you. Rather than thinking about carbs think about it in terms of long term safety. In broad terms you know to be long term safe you need a reasonable hBA1c say under 42 or 6.5% (again my opinion). The acceptable amount of carbs should be the amount that allows you to achieve that hBA1c with or without the help of any medications you want to take.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
Get the book Carbs and Cals- it's a great start, it has photos of real food in portion sizes. Very informative.

I learned a lot and I was fairly switched on with calories, fibre etc. Carbs was a whole new world
I'm looking up this book now!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

niknak15

Carbs and cals also have an app, really good for when eating out, has pictures of portion sizes and has most foods in it. I didn't realise how much I could eat either insulin free or low carb till I got it. Good luck x

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
Carbs and cals also have an app, really good for when eating out, has pictures of portion sizes and has most foods in it. I didn't realise how much I could eat either insulin free or low carb till I got it. Good luck x

Wow Looking that up now thanks chic

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l got the carbs... cals book but the full size not the pocket one.
Thought about the app but needed hub to check it for meals as he cooks and no use me having the info at work.