Strange sleeping problems

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cheers Dougie, I'll have a look at that, thyroid was done last review because of some issues with statins but came back fine. Unless of course I'm an athlete in disguise of an middle aged fat bloke. Lol see what 8hrs sleep gives me, humour

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

My thyroid test was for TSH which is released by the pituary gland.
I don't understand the mechanisms, but I believe TSH causes the thyroid to release T3 amd T4,
triiodothyronine is T3, and in turn high levels of T3 stop the pituary gland releasing TSH, so it's a feedback loop.

So in theory, if the test for TSH is ok, everything is ok, and in turn if TSH is high, it would suggest T3 is low,
The test range on mine is 0.3 to 5.5, I'm in the middle(ish) at 2.04.

The studies above looked specifically at T3 response though, not TSH, so it's unclear what the TSH level is, just that the T3 response was affected. You would expect TSH to be out, but the info isn't there.
If your doctor is on board, ask him if he will do a blood test for T3 T4, if he can't find any other reason, or if your TSH is near the limit maybe?

Good article here on how T3 can be low, but TSH still ok though.

http://aworldlymonk.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/low-carb-diets-and-hypothyroidism-a-false-alarm/

http://chriskresser.com/low-t3-syndrome-i-its-not-about-the-thyroid

http://carbsanity.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/low-carb-hypothyroid-healthy.html

and this isn't a row over low carbng, there's threads from both sides there, the thing they all agree on though is T3/T4 can dip at some point, for some reason, and it needs to be tested for, rather than just serum TSH.

Last edited by a moderator:

desidiabulum

Received the phone call yesterday afternoon from the doc, he thinks it could be the metformin and low BG causing the sleep problems, he's a little concerned about the low heart rate and wants to see me within the next 2 weeks. Hba1c was 35, and told me to come off meds and see how I get on. Happy with that, Funny enough I had the best sleep last night for weeks.

Hi. Did the doc suggest changing the Lisinopril dose?

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
My thyroid test was for TSH which is released by the pituary gland.
I don't understand the mechanisms, but I believe TSH causes the thyroid to release T3 amd T4,
triiodothyronine is T3, and in turn high levels of T3 stop the pituary gland releasing TSH, so it's a feedback loop.

So in theory, if the test for TSH is ok, everything is ok, and in turn if TSH is high, it would suggest T3 is low,
The test range on mine is 0.3 to 5.5, I'm in the middle(ish) at 2.04.

The studies above looked specifically at T3 response though, not TSH, so it's unclear what the TSH level is, just that the T3 response was affected. You would expect TSH to be out, but the info isn't there.
If your doctor is on board, ask him if he will do a blood test for T3 T4, if he can't find any other reason, or if your TSH is near the limit maybe?

Good article here on how T3 can be low, but TSH still ok though.

http://aworldlymonk.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/low-carb-diets-and-hypothyroidism-a-false-alarm/

http://chriskresser.com/low-t3-syndrome-i-its-not-about-the-thyroid

http://carbsanity.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/low-carb-hypothyroid-healthy.html

and this isn't a row over low carbng, there's threads from both sides there, the thing they all agree on though is T3/T4 can dip at some point, for some reason, and it needs to be tested for, rather than just serum TSH.

Good stuff, very interesting reading. Thank you

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Thanks -- I was asking because I'm starting on it tomorrow and am reading up on side-effects (as you do). I wish I had your hba1c -- your results are amazing.

Hi, Ive been on them for years without issues, if fact im sure they've kept me going on some days!!. The results to be honest is simply finding something that works for me and keeping to it until something better comes along or tells me im doing wrong and obviously this forum has helped big time.

Good luck tomorrow and wish you well.

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Hi everyone, just a quick update:

Sent for another thyroid test came back within range, had ECG, which came back as no issues, however the nurse did point out that the problems occur at night so the test might show nothing wrong( the test was all done within 3minutes). So back with the doctor next week for further checks.

One point the doc said, was that I could be controlling my BG too well!! I never asked him at the time but find the statement strange as I thought keeping it low but not hypo was a good thing? Has anyone else been told this?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi everyone, just a quick update:

Sent for another thyroid test came back within range, had ECG, which came back as no issues, however the nurse did point out that the problems occur at night so the test might show nothing wrong( the test was all done within 3minutes). So back with the doctor next week for further checks.

One point the doc said, was that I could be controlling my BG too well!! I never asked him at the time but find the statement strange as I thought keeping it low but not hypo was a good thing? Has anyone else been told this?

Per
Not sure really. I only know that I am sleeping much better since my BG have been down - still far from ideal but looking forward to even better future sleeps.

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had sleep apnea and a cpap machine for 12 years or so. I also had extremely high blood pressure and a heart problem. BP and the heart problem were alleviated and the cpap did its job and allowed me to sleep well. It was giving up smoking that caused my diabetes. I ate too many sweets as cigarette substitutes. Carrying too much weight can cause both sleep apnea and diabetes so in that respect, they are symptoms of the same problem.

Ironically it was because of the annual checkup because of the original heart problem that the diabetes was spotted. Also ironically, it was the Sleep Study Centre at St James' in Leeds that got me onto a Champix Smoking Cessation programme.
glad you managed to give up. Smoking tends to coincide with stress fro me, adn I was back on it again at time of diagnosis.

Easy to give up this time though, although I do still fancy a nice cigar every now and then

Reactions: 2 people