What's a good spike

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
You seem to have understood the point very quickly and that is encouraging. During one of my first meetings with my nurse she said, "Road diggers and marathon runners can eat what they like". That may not be entirely true but I got the point.

I have Weetabix for breakfast but I also have a 2-3 mile walk. It works for me. In the evening I avoid carbs and maybe watch TV.

And yes, only you can do this.
If you don't have carbs may I ask what you do eat? If you don't mind just for general ideas that may help me

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

You are far from stupid Sarah, you have a chronic condition that relies on your management. Health care professionals see you from time to time but you are with it 24/7. Liken it to learning to drive a car. Your first lesson will not make you a proficient driver.

By adding the other food groups to the carbs then you lessen the spike.
If the spike is still too high then you have to reduce the carbs. Say for example you ate a normal portion of rice, pasta, bread, cereals and added all the other food group and you got a spike, (more than 2 points than your previous meal), you could then try eating a half of the amount of carbs. If this didn't work then you could try a third and if that still didn't work then that food would not be suitable for you. We are individuals and have different responses to different carbs.
All carbs on their own, as in the toast, will raise your blood sugars.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Don't get down hearted. As you are new to this and presumably haven't paid much attention to carbs you're bound to find that at the moment you are really sensitive to them and will get large spikes from even small quantities of sugar and starchy foods.

The easiest way is at this stage to avoid sugar entirely and limit (say initially halve) your intake of starchy foods such as rice, pasta, bread, cereals (including porridge) and any thing that contains flour such as pastry etc. Try swapping to brown versions of everything you can on what's left. Use your meter and try to get to a point where after two hours your level is no more than 2 above where it started from. If you do that then you should start to see all the numbers begin to drop over a period of days or even weeks. It took me 6 to 8 weeks of effectively removing the majority of the starchy foods from my diet to get back to having safe bg levels. Once you've found your tolerance you can then adjust your carbs up and down as appropriate as after you've got control things get easier.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi Sarah, all above advice seems good to me, your doing just fine :) if you didn't ask questions we would have no reason to be here :)

i personally find bread to be completely off the menu apart from "livlife" bread which you can buy in wait rose and some morrisons, this is the only bread that dosent send my bg way up. :(

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Have you seen the book Carbs and Cals? It is brilliant for showing you where to find carbs.

I don't think Marmite is guilty in this case

I avoid cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta (which I loved) and bread. Although I will still have some garlic bread if given the chance.

Try yoghurt and fruit for breakfast or eggs. I also like Quorn sausages, mushroom and tomatoes.

Keep some notes and let us know how you get on

Cara

Reactions: 3 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are far from stupid Sarah, you have a chronic condition that relies on your management. Health care professionals see you from time to time but you are with it 24/7. Liken it to learning to drive a car. Your first lesson will not make you a proficient driver.

By adding the other food groups to the carbs then you lessen the spike.
If the spike is still too high then you have to reduce the carbs. Say for example you ate a normal portion of rice, pasta, bread, cereals and added all the other food group and you got a spike, (more than 2 points than your previous meal), you could then try eating a half of the amount of carbs. If this didn't work then you could try a third and if that still didn't work then that food would not be suitable for you. We are individuals and have different responses to different carbs.
All carbs on their own, as in the toast, will raise your blood sugars.
That is fantastic help thank you now i understand what I need to do and crack on lol cheers love

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't get down hearted. As you are new to this and presumably haven't paid much attention to carbs you're bound to find that at the moment you are really sensitive to them and will get large spikes from even small quantities of sugar and starchy foods.

The easiest way is at this stage to avoid sugar entirely and limit (say initially halve) your intake of starchy foods such as rice, pasta, bread, cereals (including porridge) and any thing that contains flour such as pastry etc. Try swapping to brown versions of everything you can on what's left. Use your meter and try to get to a point where after two hours your level is no more than 2 above where it started from. If you do that then you should start to see all the numbers begin to drop over a period of days or even weeks. It took me 6 to 8 weeks of effectively removing the majority of the starchy foods from my diet to get back to having safe bg levels. Once you've found your tolerance you can then adjust your carbs up and down as appropriate as after you've got control things get easier.
Thankyou!!

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you seen the book Carbs and Cals? It is brilliant for showing you where to find carbs.

I don't think Marmite is guilty in this case

I avoid cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta (which I loved) and bread. Although I will still have some garlic bread if given the chance.

Try yoghurt and fruit for breakfast or eggs. I also like Quorn sausages, mushroom and tomatoes.

Keep some notes and let us know how you get on

Cara
Never heard of that book but I've downloaded the 7 day carb freemeal plan from the diabetes web site will see how that goes an let you know :)

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thankyou think May stop all carbs find some meals and then introduce one at a time and test for spikes!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't have carbs may I ask what you do eat? If you don't mind just for general ideas that may help me

I eat my main meal at lunchtime and since I am still active then I do eat some carbs. In my case no flour or sugar products but a smallish portion of potatoes in any form or half a portion of rice seem ok for me. Apart from that the midday meal is a pretty normal one.

The no carb evening meal will consist of any meat such as chicken, ham, pork, lamb etc. with salad vegetables. Did you know that corned beef is zero carbs? I allow a small portion of coleslaw if the meat is a dry one like chicken breast etc.

I feel as though I eat quite well considering I am supposed to be watching my diet.

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ok can you tell if these come under carbs nuts cous cous seeds quinela pulses pearl barley! Beans such as kidney butter beans haricot and chic peas??? Thanks guys

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Tested my levels 2 hours after lunch they were 6.4 had 1 strawberry before just tested levels are7.4 can a strawberry knock it up like that

Type 2 diagnosed 2010 1 metformin twice a day

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tested my levels 2 hours after lunch they were 6.4 had 1 strawberry before just tested levels are7.4 can a strawberry knock it up like that

I am not clear when you ate the strawberry in relation to testing. It is a surprising result anyway but you must believe your meter. I looked up strawberries and they are 8% carbs.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not sure to be honest I'm new at this but was that with lunch or did you test eat strawberry and test 2hrs later?!

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am not clear when you ate the strawberry in relation to testing. It is a surprising result anyway but you must believe your meter. I looked up strawberries and they are 8% carbs.
OMG how can a strawberry be a carb?? I thought it was rice pasta flour etc I shocked I need a book that tells me what Foods are carbs lol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strawberries are sweet and it's because they have sugar in them as do many fruits. Don't panic though since the quantity you eat is not likely to be large. Eating sandwiches and cakes is far worse.