Type 2 reversal?

Mark johnson

Hi
I was diagnosed with type 2 at the end of October 2013. I had two fasting readings a week apart of 7.1 and 8.1 followed by a Hba1c reading of 52.
I made some serious lifestyle changes including diet and exercise and have now lost 3 stones in weight. I check my blood daily and every reading has been in the normal range for non diabetics. My hna1c reading has dropped to 34. Has my diabeties been reversed?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my diabetic nurse said mine had, BUT I do believe that it may always be lurking in the back ground waiting to get me, so going to vigilant.
but its nice to get away from the label,the insurance restrictions the eye ,foot ,and skin problems.
the obesity label.
just not sorted the sleep apnoea, which I think was the cause in the first place.
that's just my view.:)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Nice going Mark. Some say you can't reverse or cure diabetes but in my opinion if you suffer no signs/symptoms, maintain non-diabetic BG readings and no longer need meds then you've pretty much cracked it :)

Reactions: 5 people

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Mark. I have also been told the same type of thing from my GP, that I am no longer diabetic. I also lost weight (circa 56Kg) and my last couple of HBa1c results have been in the low 5's. I kinda smiled when told I had 'reversed' my diabetes as the only reason I am that low is I am controlling it, by like you taking BG readings and making sure I eat to my meter. Now I have to live with a cycling addiction :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
You could try a home Glucose Tolerance Test and see how you get on

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you. I found it all very confusing.
Diet and exercise can't be underestimated. Feel better than I have for a long time and determined to continue my healthier lifestyle.

Well done Mark and long may your good control continue:)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
How do you go about that?
In theory it is :
maintain a carb intake of 120g /day for 2 days.
after an overnight fast:
1) measure BG
2) take 75 g glucose.
3) at T= 120 min re-measure BG.
remain quiet and seated during the test.
this will give you a fasting BG and measure how well your body can deal with the bolus of glucose.
What should the OGTT results be?
People without diabetes
  • Fasting value (before test): under 6 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L
People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
  • Fasting value (before test): 6.0 to 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: 7.9 to 11.0 mmol/L
Diabetic levels
  • Fasting value (before test): over 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: over 11.0 mmol/L

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
How do you go about that?

You can get the exact 75g of glucose required by drinking 394ml of original lucazade. Don't want to disagree with Fergie but I thought you had to do greater than 150g of carbs a day for at least 3 days before the test. The reason is your insulin response to a meal is somewhat predicated on how many carbs on average you've been recently consuming.

Rather than just test at the start and end its probably wise to test at one hour which is roughly where you will see the highest spike. For the last two years I have easily passed an OGTT test i.e I end up under 7.8 after 2 hours but the shape of my graph when I measure at 15 minute intervals is nothing like that of a non diabetic person. Many non diabetics will never exceed 8 throughout the entire test but although for example I ended up in the 5's after two hours on my last OGTT at one hour I was in the low teens.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Great Job Mark! brilliant! :)

In theory it is :
maintain a carb intake of 120g /day for 2 days.
after an overnight fast:
1) measure BG
2) take 75 g glucose.
3) at T= 120 min re-measure BG.
remain quiet and seated during the test.
this will give you a fasting BG and measure how well your body can deal with the bolus of glucose.
What should the OGTT results be?
People without diabetes
  • Fasting value (before test): under 6 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L
People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
  • Fasting value (before test): 6.0 to 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: 7.9 to 11.0 mmol/L
Diabetic levels
  • Fasting value (before test): over 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: over 11.0 mmol/L

Sorry fergus, may i ask if you mean....

eat 120g for 2 days, then fast overnight, then drink 75g of lucozade, then sit still for 2 hours, then test bg..... thats all there is to it? i thought it was a lot more complicated, i wouldn't mind trying this as its so simple, and if for example my levels happened to be say 5 before the drink then 6.9 afterwards would that mean I'm no longer diabetic? and do you have to stop taking metformin for any period of time before the test? sorry for the questions

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've tried to find mine that was plotted for me on another site as an example-but can't find it at the moment sadly:banghead:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Great Job Mark! brilliant! :)

Sorry fergus, may i ask if you mean....

eat 120g for 2 days, then fast overnight, then drink 75g of lucozade, then sit still for 2 hours, then test bg..... thats all there is to it? i thought it was a lot more complicated, i wouldn't mind trying this as its so simple, and if for example my levels happened to be say 5 before the drink then 6.9 afterwards would that mean I'm no longer diabetic? and do you have to stop taking metformin for any period of time before the test? sorry for the questions
Make sure you maintain the 120g intake for the 2 days - yes - this was the hardest part for me!
Fast
Drink the potion from hell (lucozade)
sit still.
was in your situ in my home OGTT - always showed as non-D
First time was on Gliclazide (for evening/overnight highs so had to come off for 4 days - no idea how long it would be for metformin.

Reactions: 3 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose I could get my wife to do the same test at the same time?

I know it's not exactly scientific but it would give me a baseline.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I've tried to find mine that was plotted for me on another site as an example-but can't find it at the moment sadly:banghead:
Here it is:
Average BG over 120min OGTT
1 Paul1976 25.0 T1.5 no insulin (don't try this at home)
2 xyzzy 12.3 T2 + metformin
3 borofergie 12.0 T2 diet
4 Grazer 11.6 T2 + metformin + booze
5 suebears 10.1 ex-pre-diabetic
6 tazzle 9.8 undiagnosed pre-diabetic
7 ScotsFergie 8.5 T2 diet
8 Pneu 7.0 T1 pump
9 Mrs Grazer 6.5 true non-diabetic

Obviously Paul wins. Despite our initial euphoria and claims of cures, xyzzy, borofergie, and Grazer look like proper diabetics compared to the rest of the field. Biggest surprise is ScotsFergie - who comes in with proper non-diabetic scores, despite being a reformed insulin user.

According to the OGTT, the only person who would be classified as "Diabetic" is Paul. That goes to show that the criteria are flawed.

Reactions: 5 people