Anti-depressants

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
spiders, ants, wasps, ignorant people, people with no manners.
I had to send my driving licence back in December for my every 3 years info update. Today I had a letter back saying that they have revoked my licence because I have suffered a psychiatric illness. I was put on a low dosage 15mg of antidepressant 3 weeks ago at the moment I'm suffering from Charcot so I'm a little down. I'm not suicidal or anything like that and never have been. I'm pretty sure there's more people out there who are on a stronger dose and still drive. Just wanted to know if anybody else has had this and what they did to get there licence back. I'm so confused I could understand if it was down to eye sight or even my feet I'm absolutely crushed and now scared and don't know how long it will take to get my licence back. I need my car for my job. Any advice would be welcome.

C

catherinecherub

Hi emma,

That's all you need, you must be gutted.

When you first apply for a licence you have to sign to say that you are willing for DVLA to contact your Dr.

DVLA may have been in touch with your G.P. about your diabetes and he may have mentioned about your depression and DVLA may have got their wires crossed.

I would go to your G.P. and ask if they have been in touch and what was said because the criteria for informing the DVLA about depression is very clear.

You must tell the DVLA about your depression if it affects your driving.
https://www.gov.uk/depression-and-driving

I hope this helps.

CC

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you think the decision go revoke your licence is wrong then you do have the right to appeal.

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the advice had my licence for 6 years now and have always been upfront about any of my conditions. Do you think if my GP did get it wrong I'm likely to get it back. It just sounds like a stupid reason for taking it off me. I'll ring GP up on Monday do you think I should ring dvla up too? X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the advice had my licence for 6 years now and have always been upfront about any of my conditions. Do you think if my GP did get it wrong I'm likely to get it back. It just sounds like a stupid reason for taking it off me. I'll ring GP up on Monday do you think I should ring dvla up too? X

If the DVLA have requested information from your gp and a mistake was made then it's likely that you would get it back (if the decision to revoke your licence was based on this).

Just contact your gp and ask if they can explain why your licence may have been revoked, if you don't get an answer there contact the DVLA.

Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Emma, I really feel for you over this problem! Last October my licence was revoked because the GP I saw made an error when filling in my renewal form. It took a phone call from her to the DVLA admitting her mistake, followed by five from me before my licence was finally returned, a hugely frustrating month later. "They" do not hurry! As a friend remarked...they are government workers, they run on rails and do not deviate from the given norm. I could say lots about the DVLA but I'd be banned for bad language! As already said, phone your GP first thing on Monday and take it from there. My very very best wishes love, let us know how it goes. You'll get there ;)
Take care
Geri x

Reactions: 3 people

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks everyone I will certainly be doing that Monday morning. And will let you all know how it goes your an amazing group who have helped me so much best wishes to you all and thank you

Reactions: 2 people

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi just a small update rang my GP yesterday and shall we say she was VERY VERY angry as she had put nothing of the sort. But it was the second time in 2 weeks that her diabetic patients have had there licence revoked for pretty much nothing. She's ringing me back some time this week so hopefully will get it sorted fingers crossed :)

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My GP rang me yesterday she went through the report she sent to dvla. She had ticked that I wasn't mentally stable instead of that I am. She was very apologetic and she is lovely. So she's writing to dvla so hopefully it will be sorted but I'll keep you informed :)

splodge58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel for everyone who have problems with DVLA. They've revoked my licence because of being on insulin and having mental health problems. It's so frustrating!