Prescription Charges In England

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a Type 2 diabetic and I live in Wales. I receive the below on prescription and all free of charge as prescriptions are free in Wales. My wife wishes to move closer to her family in Yorkshire. Will I get all of this still free or will I be expected to pay for part or all of it.

I am in my late fifties, not obese, a former career Infantry combat soldier, have always been physically fit and still am (especially for my age).

Metformin
Gliclazide
Ramipril
Amlodipine
Indapimide
Simvastatin
Aspirin
Alprostadil injection cartridges
Testing Cartridge & reader (because of the gliclazide)

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Hi Andy,

I live in England and as soon as I was diagnosed my surgery gave me the application for a Medical Exemption card and I can get ALL my prescriptions, whatever they are for, for free. As long as the doctor puts the drugs or equipment on a script then I don't pay - even when I had antibiotics for a throat infection.

I would have thought it will be exactly the same for you.:)

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We don't have exemption cards in Wales because everybody gets everything free. So if/when we move, the surgery I register with will give me the form for the card?

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Mine certainly did - otherwise I wouldn't have even known about it!
Ask as soon as you register.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes, diabetes classified as long term disability so you qualify for medical exemption certificate. This gives free prescriptions. They have to be renewed every 5 years.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I am a Type 2 diabetic and I live in Wales. I receive the below on prescription and all free of charge as prescriptions are free in Wales. My wife wishes to move closer to her family in Yorkshire. Will I get all of this still free or will I be expected to pay for part or all of it.

I am in my late fifties, not obese, a former career Infantry combat soldier, have always been physically fit and still am (especially for my age).

Metformin
Gliclazide
Ramipril
Amlodipine
Indapimide
Simvastatin
Aspirin
Alprostadil injection cartridges
Testing Cartridge & reader (because of the gliclazide)

Andy you should get these free if prescribed.You may find some tight *rse surgeries try to severely restrict your strips due to you being T2.
Good luck.

p.s. Try to build up a "stock pile" of meds,before you move, to tide you over until you have meds sorted out with new doc.

p.p.s. make sure you get receipts on all prescriptions to get refunds when card comes through.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
My chemist gave me the paperwork told me to make sure it was dated from when l was diagnosed so l would get any money l paid out back. Your dr has to sign and date it as well.
My practice never said a dicky bird. it took aboit 3 weeks to come through so make sure you have meds cover or may get expensive although you will get money back if dated right and receipts kept

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My surgery did all the paperwork for me, all I had to do was sign it and hand it back to reception and my exemption arrived less than a week later. i didnt even realise I qualified until they asked if I already had one.

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to clarify, I don't think you automatically get free scripts if you are Diabetic. It seems you need to be on some form of diabetic medication in order to qualify.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been looking up exemption in Wales and you still need an exemption card for opticians and dental work and if you are diet controlled then you are not exempt in the uk But if you get tax credits you are entitled

S

Sable_Jan

For anyone that DOES have to pay for prescriptions and has two or more per month it is well worth getting the PPC (Pre Payment Card) I have 4 items per month which would be over £30 if I paid for them all. With the PPC I pay just £10.40 per month no matter how many items on scripts I need

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been looking up exemption in Wales and you still need an exemption card for opticians and dental work and if you are diet controlled then you are not exempt in the uk But if you get tax credits you are entitled

That's what I have experienced. Because now that I am controlling my diabetes by diet alone, I lost my right to free prescriptions.