bubblesclaire

hi I have been diagnosed type 2 two weeks ago. have read so much about it all and have changed my diet to loose weight...have lost 10lbs which makes me very happy. but I am very sad most days. even think...a little depressed about it all. so much to change...bad habits of 35 years.

one thing I'm totally struggling with and how I came to have a blood test...is how tired I am. I have days where all I want to do is sleep. it's hard to talk to anyone about it as most people know nothing about diabetes...no like I know all about it...hence me writing on here.

I am eating a very green low carb diet with fish or chicken. have felt so much better since changing to this diet. But than yesterday it's like I took a whole step back. After taking the kids to school I went back to bed and slept for five hours...after sleeping 12 hours the night before.

any suggestions on how to stop feeling so tired?

thanks Claire x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but it does sound as if you have made good progress towards managing. As for the feelings of sadness these are only to be expected- part of the grieving process following diagnosis.

With regards to your feeling tired could it be that you are still running on high blood glucose levels. Alternatively you could look into any other blood deficiencies such as iron or vitamin deficiency.

Stay well

Pavlos

bubblesclaire

I am on metaform 500g once a day to start.

I am testing but don't have a great understanding of it.

It all gets a little overwhelming, my husband tries to help but he ends up worrying too much and I find it all a little over bearing.

doctors have kinda td me and left me too it for the next eight weeks until they want me to do a blood test again.

they have been good in booking me to have my feet checked and my eyes too. but a dietician isn't until may...so going by diabetes websites for diets.

I have to young children, so the tiredness is the main thing getting me down. I just want to sleep all the time...in a dream work this would be possible but I feel like a zombie most days.

Shall look into the iron bit.

Thanks for your replies x

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have only recently switched to low carb it may explain the tiredness, it does take some time to adjust as your body needs to adapt. Are you restricting calories too much perhaps? Its best not go too low initially.

bubblesclaire

not really eating six times a day and two of the meals are normal sized ones except I'm eating loads of vegetables instead of carbs. weighing myself 25g of carbs...still having slice of toast and 30g of cheese.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It takes a few weeks to get anywhere at first I'm afraid. But you'll get there.
I was really tired when I was diagnosed. One of the reasons I went to see the doctor in fact.
Then when I reduced my bs, I was even more tired as although I was insulin resistant, I'd got used to a high bs. The metformin helped on one hand with the insulin resistance but my bs coming down through diet negated that effect somewhat, until I got used to it.
So hang in there, exercise does help, but don't worry if you are tired, it does get a lot, lot better.

(The other thing to consider, while you are on a diet to lose weight, which is excellent, you also need to use the time now to test, find which food spikes you, and then adapt the diet to become a long term way of eating,. You'll find it becomes healthy food you like, and that is also good for you long term. A meter is vital now really)

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
hi, it takes a few weeks as the other members have said for the metformin to build up in your body and become effective , your tiredness will decrease as your blood sugars come under control ,it wont happen in a day or two ,it will take a little bit of time ,in meantime try not to worry ,it happened to us all ;)

Doxii

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Claire,

I know totally how you feel.

Your probably tired because of your blood sugar being still high. The metformin will bring it down after you eat but doing the diet is a good help too.

Dani