Starting insulin and driving vehicles over 3.5 ton

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Can anyone advise if I will I be able to continue driving our 4.5 ton motorhome (without a break) when I go on insulin?

My diabetic consultant dr believes I will be able to (Providing I do not have any hypos). I have keen keeping a record of my blood sugar levels for more than 3 months.

But from what I have read, they will take my group 2, c1 licence away, then I have to re-apply...... 3 to 10 months? But my dr thinks not!

I am LADA, so will need to take insulin soon.... But trying my best to keep sugar levels low to defer as long as possible

Ian

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my class 2 revoked in December, you will have to jump through hoops to prove you understand hypo awareness plus you will have to have a full medical and after all that including blood readings there is no guarantee you will get it back as the decision is based on each case

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
As long as your diabetes is well controlled and you keep a record of all BG readings it is possible to still keep LGV license although there are lots of hoops to jump through. You only get license for 12months at a time though.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you have to have an annual medical which you have to pay for and use a meter that stores you results because you'll need to provide the downloaded results - not just a record of the results but the actual results downloaded from the meter.

You'll end up with a one year license instead of the usual 3 year that insulin users usually get. I'm pretty sure you'll have a break in your license though because you'll have to provide 3 months of data after you start insulin - your pre-insulin results won't count.

Smidge

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I think you have to have an annual medical which you have to pay for and use a meter that stores you results because you'll need to provide the downloaded results - not just a record of the results but the actual results downloaded from the meter.

You'll end up with a one year license instead of the usual 3 year that insulin users usually get. I'm pretty sure you'll have a break in your license though because you'll have to provide 3 months of data after you start insulin - your pre-insulin results won't count.

Smidge
The medical is free. DVLA pay for it.

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The medical is free. DVLA pay for it.

Oh that's good to hear Mo. The letter that came with my last license renewal said if you wanted to apply for the other categories of license you had to have a medical at your own expense. Seemed a bit harsh!

Smidge

Reactions: 4 people

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to pay for the regular Doctor's medical, but DVLA pay for the subsequent Consultants medicals.

Angie

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I never paid for any medicals. Maybe different areas charge ? Not sure. DVLA covered all my costs.

It is the regular Doctor's medical (is it D4 or something like that) that you have to pay for as if you are just renewing your licence regularly at age 45 or every five years on. This is filled in by your GP and then DVLA send one for your Consultant to fill in (this one DVLA pay for) then finally there is one filled in by an Independant Consultant allocated by DVLA and this is paid for by DVLA too.
Have you renewed your licence since you had it re-instated as a diabetic on insulin? This is the first time I have renewed and at the moment I have only done the first stage (the GP medical bit) and my licence (group 2's and car) 'officially' expired on 28th Jan (they say they send the renewals out 2 - 3 months before expiry.....rubbish, mine was 6 weeks with Christmas and New Year in the middle!!). So I have 2 Consultant reports to go yet, I'm guessing June before it gets back!

Regards
Angie

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It is the regular Doctor's medical (is it D4 or something like that) that you have to pay for as if you are just renewing your licence regularly at age 45 or every five years on. This is filled in by your GP and then DVLA send one for your Consultant to fill in (this one DVLA pay for) then finally there is one filled in by an Independant Consultant allocated by DVLA and this is paid for by DVLA too.
Have you renewed your licence since you had it re-instated as a diabetic on insulin? This is the first time I have renewed and at the moment I have only done the first stage (the GP medical bit) and my licence (group 2's and car) 'officially' expired on 28th Jan (they say they send the renewals out 2 - 3 months before expiry.....rubbish, mine was 6 weeks with Christmas and New Year in the middle!!). So I have 2 Consultant reports to go yet, I'm guessing June before it gets back!

Regards
Angie
I've renewed it but it was a real pain. 2 medicLs and a proper grilling by DVLA doc. Mind you, I never paid for anything. DVLA paid for everyrhing. Only renewed for 12months though.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't you have to have the initial GP medical then before the 2 medicals you had?
The paperwork they sent me has the 3 stages on it,
1. initial renewal application complete with the GP medical and eye test (at driver's / company's expense)
2. medical form filled in by Consultant that treats your diabetes (DVLA paid for)
3. medical by DVLA independant Consultant (DVLA paid for)
Could it be an age thing? Are you under 45 and thus wouldn't normally have a medical to renew if you didn't have diabetes? I am 48 so am subject to the over 45 medical upon renewal.

Regards
Angie

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't you have to have the initial GP medical then before the 2 medicals you had?
1. initial renewal application complete with the GP medical and eye test (at driver's / company's expense)
2. medical form filled in by Consultant that treats your diabetes (DVLA paid for)
Could it be an age thing? Are you under 45 and thus wouldn't normally have a medical to renew if you didn't have diabetes? I am 48 so am subject to the over 45 medical upon renewal.

Regards
Angie

I had exactly the same paperwork and I'm only 42 but I have heard rumours from a friend of a friend saying DVLA pay for all medicals. But I don't believe it as I think you have to pay for gp medical which is about £100

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !

Regards
Angie
I'm 48 Angie but I never paid a thing. I had my usual annual diabetes review followed by a DVLA medical. Both were free. Maybe I was just lucky or perhaps it's a regional thing ? Not sure. Anyway. I have now got my LGV renewed for 12months, proper pain though but cost free :)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found a download of the leaflet from DVLA...
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/251492/INS186_091013.pdf
hope that works.

mo1905...Not sure when that came in, maybe you beat it when you renewed or something. I know when I initially applied to have my licence re-instated a year ago I just got a form filled in by my own Consultant and that was it. Now we have the 2nd Consultant added.
I guess they just want us off the road....strange we are both the same age, I'm a September 1965 edition, you aren't too are you!

Angie

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Oh well, I'll see what happens next time around. I know it's a pain but I won't give in and let DVLA win, I'll keep jumping through their hoops if I need to !

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
Can any one advise if the DVLA automatically take away the group 2, C1 part as soon as you start insulin?
I can see now if they take it away, it will likely take 6 to 10 months to get it back!
Ian

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ian,

Almost as soon as you start using insulin. What actually happens is that you ring them and tell them about the insulin as soon as you start it as you are required to by law. They send you a form which you fill in and return to them. They take their time and eventually contact your GP and consultant who take their time and eventually return the medical questionnaire to the DVLA. After a couple of months you receive a letter and a new 3 year license with the categories you are allowed to drive. In the meantime, you can continue with all your previous categories - you obviously only become a danger once all the forms have been filled in. Mad but true! At least, that was my experience of it, but I guess it might have changed.

Smidge

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have group 2 categories as soon as you start the insulin and tell DVLA you MUST STOP driving Group 2 vehicles (LGV & PCV) until you have the medical forms filled in after 3 months by the Consultant and DVLA re-instate your licence.
You can continue to drive a car as long as your GP hasn't advised you to stop while all this is going on.

HTH
Angie

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi Ian,

Almost as soon as you start using insulin. What actually happens is that you ring them and tell them about the insulin as soon as you start it as you are required to by law. They send you a form which you fill in and return to them. They take their time and eventually contact your GP and consultant who take their time and eventually return the medical questionnaire to the DVLA. After a couple of months you receive a letter and a new 3 year license with the categories you are allowed to drive. In the meantime, you can continue with all your previous categories - you obviously only become a danger once all the forms have been filled in. Mad but true! At least, that was my experience of it, but I guess it might have changed.

Smidge
When I started insulin in October 2013 I got the forms from the DVLA website, filled them in and had my licence back in 1 month. Cars etc only but better than nothing.