Mental breakdowns

Happy_Horse

About once a month I have a bit of a mental breakdown about my diabetes. I just have a day when I am running really high or something like that, and I just collapse because I am a really ambitious person and I have got to admit that I get very frustrated when my blood sugar is above 9! I also find it hard at school (I am at secondary) when I am walking there with my friends, who, I have to say, are really unhealthy, because they eat all of the foods that I would love to have, but can't. What makes things worse is that I have gluten intolerance too! This always makes me feel like the odd one out. One of my friends in particular does not understand ANYTHING that I every try to explain to her and she says that she doesn't care if I don't like her eating all of my were once favourite foods in front of me! She also thinks that it is all my fault that I have t1 diabetes and then when I try and explain she says she doesn't care and changes the subject. I have been diabetic for a while now- diagnosed April 29 but I still have these problems! Does I anyone known what I can do to stop this, because as I said at first, these cause mental breakdowns that I can't really handle! :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Happy - I would agree with Vinny - try and find a T1 buddy. Unfortunately it's difficult trying to tell even your best friend what' you are going through, no one understand like a t1 what and how life is like. My partner has no idea, particularly when I have a hypo, he just says 'oh dear' !!

Also come on here and vent some steam, it's good to get things off your chest, here at least you're not alone, we all understand what you're going through. Try and find a way to manage the days where you feel you low about it, I use meditation to keep calm on days like this and try a simple breathing exercise for 5 mins, sit in a quiet room, relax your shoulders, and close your eyes, counting each breath in and out, so just counting 1 and 2, 1 and 2, focus on feeling what the breathing feels like going in and out of your body, this is good for just calming the mind and body.

By the way getting stressed over going over 9 isn't something I would get stressed about as i'm over that daily and I eat low carb, so I think you're doing brilliantly, give yourself a big pat on the back ;)

Happy_Horse

Thanks, and about the friends. One of my friends is really nice and very understanding, but doesn't really get the fact that I find it irritating when she does eat really good but un healthy foods, but she doesn't really eat as much stuff as my other friend. She is not exactly a friend, she just hangs around my good friend because she is sort of friend with my good friend and she doesn't particularly like me, AT ALL! She can be really nasty acctually, but I want to be friends whit my good friend so I have to put up with her. I'm not really sure what to do though. I have limited access to internet so I can't really talk loads on the forum, I only have about 20 mins on the I pad a day, which Is cut short by homework so I only really have about five mins a day. I don't know anyone who has diabetes, except maybe my grandpas friend who is 60 and my mums friends daughter who is in uni! Help!!!!!!!

Happy_Horse

Oh, and meditation sounds really good!!!! I used to almost every day, but I dropped it when I started getting a homework overload, but I have more time now so I need to start up with that again x

emsg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About once a month I have a bit of a mental breakdown about my diabetes. I just have a day when I am running really high or something like that, and I just collapse because I am a really ambitious person and I have got to admit that I get very frustrated when my blood sugar is above 9! I also find it hard at school (I am at secondary) when I am walking there with my friends, who, I have to say, are really unhealthy, because they eat all of the foods that I would love to have, but can't. What makes things worse is that I have gluten intolerance too! This always makes me feel like the odd one out. One of my friends in particular does not understand ANYTHING that I every try to explain to her and she says that she doesn't care if I don't like her eating all of my were once favourite foods in front of me! She also thinks that it is all my fault that I have t1 diabetes and then when I try and explain she says she doesn't care and changes the subject. I have been diabetic for a while now- diagnosed April 29 but I still have these problems! Does I anyone known what I can do to stop this, because as I said at first, these cause mental breakdowns that I can't really handle! :(

I only got diagnosed in june. And a month later I started having breakdowns. I was crying for 3 hours on end every night because no one could understand what I was actually going through. I ended up on anti depressants.
Your 'friends' don't sound like they're very supportive of you but then diabetes hasn't really been made aware of as much to people.
Don't allow other peoples actions bring you down though, whenever you feel a problem I suggest you use this place. We all can understand and share some advice to the best we can :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Nicely said EMSG, being here can make a difference, we are all supportive and understand what life is like. Life with diabetes can get you down, particularly if you've only recently been diagnosed, but talking or communicating as much as possible can help as it doesn't make you feel so alone, over time it get's alot better and alot easier to manage, just remember that ;)

Happy - to be fair, without or without diabetes, you are going to meet people who dislike you and vice versa, that's life, and sadly your friend will probably always eat stuff that's unhealthy, that's life. On a positive it sounds like you're eating 'good' food, so just keep doing that, funnily enough diabetes will make you healthier than your mates. Just keep doing what your doing as it sounds like your doing it right - and as my mum always says to me, 'don't let the b@$*(!%*'s get you down!!! :)

I didn't swear honest !

Happy_Horse

Thank you so much x
As I said, one of my friends is great, the other just messes everything up. :(
I know what you feel about not understanding and stuff, because even though my mum is the best and really supportive, but I leave the house at 7:15 every morning and get back around 5:00 I also have three younger sisters who take up lots of time, so I don't have her support as much as I like, I am a bit week on that!
So I totally agree with the fact that people don't understand until they have been through it themselves
But we always have to get on with life, my motto! ;)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hello Happy_Horse :)
I may be completely wrong but I'm assuming you are female? Being T2 ID myself I never post on T1 topics, however in this instance I'm taking a chance. In your opening post you said that you get a depressed feeling about once a month and I'm wondering if it coincides with your period. If so, perhaps you're getting a bit of pre menstrual tension? Try googling PMT and see if any of the symptoms fit. I and just about every female on here will have experienced PMT and can empathise with you. Take care love and get back to us soon. Hope this week is a good one for you.
Geri :)

Reactions: 2 people

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good shout Beachbag - this is also the time I am desperate for chocolate!

Happy I am female age 24 diagnosed t1 in July 13 please feel free to message me any time you want to chat. I don't know anyone else with diabetes but have found these guys on the forum really help. You're not alone x

Kelsie

I understand what your going through too, I was only diagnosed July 2013, am 20 and at uni. All my friends at uni continuously drink loads of lucozade and eat so so much rubbish in front of me and I often get comments from friends, people at work etc saying to me that 'guess you shouldn't have ate so badly as a child then should you' as if me getting diabetes was my fault. Unfortunately people who don't have diabetes are so uneducated and because of how much type 2 diabetes is in the media, it is assumed that type 1 is diet and lifestyle related too! Although I understand it's hard for my friends to remember that I can't eat the way they do, I wish too that they were more aware and not eat so badly in front of me!! Having said that though, I wouldnt want to eat the way they do now! I feel so much better in myself with my healthy diet and them eating the way they do, motivates me to stay on track! Sorry to say but it's a battle us type one diabetics will face throughout life with people's misconceptions! Message me if you ever want to talk more :)

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It may help to see a Stress Counsellor as a way of attempting to relieve your stress and fears. It is good to see that you can message people on here that will no doubt give you the support that you need. Sending you a virtual hug x

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Hi, I do hope that you can see that a friend like that just isn't a friend, no one should speak to you the way this girl speaks to you. There are a lot of young people on here that have the same or similar problems to what you are going through right now and it always helps to talk to someone. Never feel like you're alone or the odd one out, teenage years are hard enough without feeling isolated because of a medical condition. Look at it this way the girl that is being nasty to you probably doesn't care because she doesn't understand what diabetes is and is unwilling to learn about it in order to be a good friend. I do have to say though that you can't expect people to stop eating the foods you used to love and I am not saying this to be harsh but this will happen throughout your life and it is something you will get used to and probably will stop noticing.

You are actually in better health than your friends because all the doctors, nurses, consultants and podiatrists have to keep you in tip top condition. Let your friends eat all the junk they want as I am sure you ate junk before your diagnosis. It is not until we are given such shocking news that we then decide to change our lives and chances are all the junk food they eat will not impact upon their health other than weight gain like my mother x

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Acceptance of your condition is the main thing and being happy with yourself and your diabetes it is who you are. I have been there friends as good as they are will never understand the in's and out's of your daily routine and why would they life is difficult enough for anybody. The main thind is they are aware of your condition in summary the detail is for you. Having a 9 is no big deal now and then in fact when I was diagnosed 35 years ago 10 was the figure to aim for. It is difficult to try and fit in but you will fir in just as you are and if you accept yourself other will diabetes is no big deal today its all in the mind.

Start today and think positive and you will work your way out of the mental breakdowns do not let negative thought enter you head try reading this classic for starter its old fashioned but the book points out the obvious which start you on the right track to being big headed about yourself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Errone...0875&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=your+eroneuz+zones

Incontrol?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I do hope that you can see that a friend like that just isn't a friend, no one should speak to you the way this girl speaks to you. There are a lot of young people on here that have the same or similar problems to what you are going through right now and it always helps to talk to someone. Never feel like you're alone or the odd one out, teenage years are hard enough without feeling isolated because of a medical condition. Look at it this way the girl that is being nasty to you probably doesn't care because she doesn't understand what diabetes is and is unwilling to learn about it in order to be a good friend. I do have to say though that you can't expect people to stop eating the foods you used to love and I am not saying this to be harsh but this will happen throughout your life and it is something you will get used to and probably will stop noticing.

You are actually in better health than your friends because all the doctors, nurses, consultants and podiatrists have to keep you in tip top condition. Let your friends eat all the junk they want as I am sure you ate junk before your diagnosis. It is not until we are given such shocking news that we then decide to change our lives and chances are all the junk food they eat will not impact upon their health other than weight gain like my mother x

Excellent post Kerry x

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Ask to do a school resentation on gluten and type one so teachers and pupils understand a bit better.
It wont be easy but you can do it if you want to. And will lay odds your school will back your effots 100% and also see about homewprk meditation rather than writing :)

Happy_Horse

I understand what your going through too, I was only diagnosed July 2013, am 20 and at uni. All my friends at uni continuously drink loads of lucozade and eat so so much rubbish in front of me and I often get comments from friends, people at work etc saying to me that 'guess you shouldn't have ate so badly as a child then should you' as if me getting diabetes was my fault. Unfortunately people who don't have diabetes are so uneducated and because of how much type 2 diabetes is in the media, it is assumed that type 1 is diet and lifestyle related too! Although I understand it's hard for my friends to remember that I can't eat the way they do, I wish too that they were more aware and not eat so badly in front of me!! Having said that though, I wouldnt want to eat the way they do now! I feel so much better in myself with my healthy diet and them eating the way they do, motivates me to stay on track! Sorry to say but it's a battle us type one diabetics will face throughout life with people's misconceptions! Message me if you ever want to talk more :)

Wow, that practically exactly what happens to me!

I am proud of being healthy, but you know there are still temptations...

Happy_Horse

Hello Happy_Horse :)
I may be completely wrong but I'm assuming you are female? Being T2 ID myself I never post on T1 topics, however in this instance I'm taking a chance. In your opening post you said that you get a depressed feeling about once a month and I'm wondering if it coincides with your period. If so, perhaps you're getting a bit of pre menstrual tension? Try googling PMT and see if any of the symptoms fit. I and just about every female on here will have experienced PMT and can empathise with you. Take care love and get back to us soon. Hope this week is a good one for you.
Geri :)

I have thought about your theory and I don't think they link or anything, but I will look up everything that people have said, because I am a little fed up of this depressing feeling! (As you can expect!) ;)