Protein shakes - T1 and weight loss

HarriP2

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice re protein.

Just starting to really up my fitness programme in a bid to shift some weight and generally just improve health. I know I don't get enough protein anyway (vegetarian) and was wondering if anyone could advise of a good low calorie protein powder/shake that they've used. I'm T1 and female, and definitely don't want to bulk up haha.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm using Maximuscle lean definition promax and seems to work pretty well for me, my recovery times are now much better. It has CLA in it which helps to protect muscle and aids fat burning. i paid £38 in boots for (1.2kg) it but have since found it online for £25 from discountsupplements. I usually don't buy anything online but in this case I may have to make an exception.

pennyjwills

Dislikes
Mobile phone noises
Hiya, I'm type 1, female and veggie and I buy Pulsin Pea Protein from amazon as you can buy in bulk cheap from there. I mix 2 tablespoons in my Smartshake bottle with unsweetened almond milk, green and blacks cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of agave nectar. It tastes like chocolate milkshake :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might find this research article http://www.dragonsbackrace.com/articles/dragons-back-race-2012-nutrition-study/ and this blog http://heatherohly.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/my-semi-vegan-diet/#comments helpful for consideration of vegetarianism and sports. Heather Ohly is a registered dietician & nutrition researcher, vegan at home, vegetarian away from home, who competes in mountain marathons etc. Her husband also competes in mountain marathons etc and organises excellent endurance mountain running races, where all food provided for runners and marshals is vegetarian, and I know from experience of marshalling at several, is excellent. Neither Heather nor her husband have personal experience of diabetes, but know their stuff. I'm not veggie, but prefer not to eat too much meat, no intensively reared meat etc, and take part in mountain marathons, trail races etc, although at a lower level. However, the Dragons Back Race competitors were trying to avoid losing too much weight over the 5 days, rather than actively lose or gain weight.

Robocop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Managers that can't make simple decisions.
I do a lot of physical training and did enquire about protein shakes and diabetes. I was informed that I was not allowed to take the supplements. Confused.com.

Bodybuilder type1