Shock and relief, but I know my way forward

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had OGTT test this morning. I had expected it show something, but not this.

Fasting level 5,7. High for me, but I have eaten more normal for close to a week to be sure to get reliable result.

Asked the nurse if I could have a check at one hour as well, this was fine. We were both shocked at the reading of 20,6

Two hour and diagnostic reading of 13.8.

My GP was occupied but the nurse said she would tell him to call me, he hasn't jet.

My plan is

1. Resume a very strict LCHF
2. Ask to have C-peptide and AB´s tested
3. referral to whoever it is that can help you stop smoking
4 referrals and check-ups for eyes, kidneys and whatever is called for.

And immediately start a more planned regime of exercise, not only just working

What do you think? Is this a good plan? Have I forgotten anything?

I have also told hubby I will be a bit difficult to live with for a while but that it will get worse when I quit the fags. .

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Sounds like a good plan to me although it can be difficult for some folks to get the doctor to agree to a C-pep and GAD antibody test due to cost to the health service unless you can go privately.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Sweden, I have no cause to expect not to be tested for C-peptide or ABs.

I also have few if any of the usual type 2 characteristics AND have been low-carbing for the past three years. There is no reason at all I should be t2 apart from the fact my dad was diabetic.

Thank you Paul.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sorry about your shock :( makes you wonder how things would be had you not been lchf huh

plan sounds good to me, best of luck

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry about your shock :( makes you wonder how things would be had you not been lchf huh

plan sounds good to me, best of luck
Thing is I don't think it would have been any different. I think the autoimmunity in my family is at work. Still have to stop smoking though. Am very sad about that atm. Silly I know.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have you tried ecigs? ive been on them for about 16 months, giving up is best but this is a good compromise if your having trouble, you could use them as a stepping stone to quitting (unlike i have)

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
have you tried ecigs? ive been on them for about 16 months, giving up is best but this is a good compromise if your having trouble, you could use them as a stepping stone to quitting (unlike i have)
I have thought I might try them as a stepping stone. Where do you get them from? Have you tried different brands or are all the same?

I admit I had a peep in my local pharmacy but no e-cigs, suppose I have to buy them on-line.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i buy them from the shopping centres, the under cover one like the mall thingies, they have stalls in the concourse, i use VIP and havent tried ny others, i love them, i smoked 40 - 60 roll ups a day and smoked since i was about 10 yrs old i could never have done it without them, i tried patches mints etc and they didnt even come close to working, since the first day i tried these i never wanted a ciggy, imho they are amazing

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I go through a packet of tobacco in six to eight days so am far from your 40-60. I live however in a very rural area on an island in the sea so the shopping mall opportunities are sparse. Should have bought some when I was on the main land last weekend to look after my very old indeed mum but forgot about it. Oh well, don't think I will die from the fags any time soon if I keep my bg down and I will, doing the strict thing now with a glass or two of wine thrown in to keep it down.

VIP is fine you find? Brilliant to have a forum to turn to. Thanks Andy.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We buy most things not available at the local ironmonger online. I recently bought 10 120W LED lights for my poly-tunnel from somewhere in Midlands. Will look into the internet-shopping of e-cigs but have to mourn the rolling of Drum also. I will now retire and dream about fragrant tobacco.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol i promise you if you get on with these the smell of backy will turn your stomach, i loved the smell of the backy packet, not any more :)

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I'm using one of them vapour pens this is day 30 of not smoking if I had known it was going to be this easy I would have quit a long time ago

Type 2 diagnosed 2010 1 metformin twice a day

Reactions: 2 people

bumbles1952

I had tried many times, used patches, gum, ecigs you name it I gave it ago but alas dismal failures. I smoked at least a pack a day for 40 years. In July 2012 I attended the stop smoking clinic at my local Surgery. The nurse prescribed champix tablets I saw her monthly for about 4 months and I am glad to report that it will be 2 years in July since my last cig. This was pre diabetic diagnosis so did tend to comfort eat but the champix were really good for me. Believe me if I can do it anyone can!!
Good luck with your plan.