Sugar free sweets

smudges dad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
M&S seems to have a new range of sugar free sweets. They are really nice, but have unfortunate side effects (similar to Aqua Drops, more commonly known as aqua plops). Is there a sugar free sweet anywhere that doesn't have this effect? Unfortunately 6 sweets have a noticeable effect, but I first discovered the effect after guzzling two packs of aqua plops a few years ago.

gemma.88

I've been told they all do because they have sweetener in, I've had the same prob my don been diagnosed a week ago with t1 just give him a few sugar free sweets just do he's still feels he has sweets.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
M&S seems to have a new range of sugar free sweets. They are really nice, but have unfortunate side effects (similar to Aqua Drops, more commonly known as aqua plops). Is there a sugar free sweet anywhere that doesn't have this effect? Unfortunately 6 sweets have a noticeable effect, but I first discovered the effect after guzzling two packs of aqua plops a few years ago.
The nicest sweets I found were in the hospital shop at the royal Glamorgan hospital can't remember the make but it was a German company. I know this is useless to anyone not close but that's my experience

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i have just had some from avidlite onlie store for diabetics they were sugerfree werthers and some strawberry chews sugerfree i havnt had no effects worth a look x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

It's polyols [Sorbitol, Xylitol, Erythritol etc.] which have the diarrhoea effect, but most people can take a small amount harmlessly: just don't let the dogs get them though they are toxic to them. Low carb megastore and Avidlite sell a range of sugar free sweets online. Quite expensive, but good service from either company

Reactions: lorraine95

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i personally found that a couple of normal sweets actually have the same sugar in as some sugar free:(

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are several types of sweetener or sugar substitute and those with sugar alcohols are the type which have a laxative effect, also comically known as gastric distress. The sugar alcohol called Erythritol however is more difficult for intestinal bacteria to digest than other polyols such as sorbitol, maltitol or lactitol and so it is much less likely to cause gas or bloating.

Many sugar free sweets such as the Werthers mentioned above contain isomalts, a group of sugar alcohols and are mixed with artificial sweeteners too, such as Acesulfame – K. Reaction to them depends on the individual but 50g per day is too much for most people.

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Aldi do a range of s/free sweets in a variety of flavours. 2 small boxes are 99p, but again I wouldn't eat to many at once

I buy the Aldi sweets - they're located at the checkout - creamy butterscotch, clear mints, clear fruits or strawberry flavour. Just sucked my way through 5 butterscotch this evening. 40 cals and 15.4g carbs - was quite shocked by this but had already eaten them before adding to myfitnesspal diary. There's a lesson I've learnt!

Reactions: lorraine95