Statin News.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
its like all diabetic drugs ,some people are dead against them due to side effects ,yet they havnt taken the drug concerned ,they don't give then a fair trail ...

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The was an interesting article in yesterday's Times: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4002801.ece (by subscription), following this news. Even more interesting were the comments, including those by Dr Mark Porter who appears to be comparatively balanced in his approach to statins.

In one of Mark Porter's responses he points people to www.qrisk.org, which allows one to run a risk algorithm for heart attack or stroke over the next 10 years. Even checking the T2D box, I was surprised to find myself still well under the "magic" 10% score. Using my scores at diagnosis, I was still (just) under 10%.

Personally, I would rather avoid long term medication, of any kind, if I possibly can. Clearly there may a tipping point some time in the future, when my assessment of my position, considering advice, condition, lifestyle and quality of life means I revisit my current position. Who knows.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The was an interesting article in yesterday's Times: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/health/news/article4002801.ece (by subscription), following this news. Even more interesting were the comments, including those by Dr Mark Porter who appears to be comparatively balanced in his approach to statins.

In one of Mark Porter's responses he points people to www.qrisk.org, which allows one to run a risk algorithm for heart attack or stroke over the next 10 years. Even checking the T2D box, I was surprised to find myself still well under the "magic" 10% score. Using my scores at diagnosis, I was still (just) under 10%.

Personally, I would rather avoid long term medication, of any kind, if I possibly can. Clearly there may a tipping point some time in the future, when my assessment of my position, considering advice, condition, lifestyle and quality of life means I revisit my current position. Who knows.

Type 2 still doubles the risk though. :(

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
It is important, he said, that the patient should make the decision that is right for him or her, weighing up the benefits of the drugs against the side-effects and also considering the other option – to get fitter and healthier.
Some doctors believe that the benefits of statins have been overstated, particularly for the lowest-risk group.
"The overwhelming majority of people in this category are not going to benefit," said cardiologist Aseem Malhotra. "Real world data [as opposed to clinical trials] tells us that one in five people will suffer a side-effect that is unacceptable."
Those side-effects could include muscle pains, memory loss and erectile dysfunction, he said. Some people on the drugs also develop type 2 diabetes.
John Abramson, senior lecturer in the department of healthcare policy at Harvard medical school, said the trials on statins did not show that they prevented deaths. They also prevented only a small number of heart attacks and strokes, he said.
Full article here; written two days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...ug-statins-offered-millions-more-nhs-guidance

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

I think until the day that prescribed drugs are tailored to the individual then there will always be people who can/cannot tolerate them. If I had been able to tolerate statins then in all possibility I would have continued with them.

Pharmacogenetics - differences in genetic make up in individuals affect what the body does to the drug and what the drug does to the body.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/dr...ugs/genetic_makeup_and_response_to_drugs.html

I was surprised that nobody commented on the 2nd. article in my original post.

HDL. Good cholesterol found not to cut heart risk.
Doubt cast on the "Good" in "Good cholesterol".

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/h...sterol-found-not-to-cut-heart-risk.html?_r=1&

Plasma HDL. Cholesterol and risk of myocardial infarction.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60312-2/fulltext

A

AnnieC

I don't think statins even qualify for that much benefit of doubt. I've read several threads on here where posters have already decided they won't be taking statins, without any trial first, because of the risk of side effects they have read about. So it's already pre-judged bad. There are examples in this thread.
It has always puzzled me how people can be so against something without even trying it .

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Likewise It amazes how some HCPs blindly prescribe statins without thinking, just following "the sheep trail"

annew

Well, I am someone who HAS tried them and found the side effects totally unacceptable, making my life an absolute misery. I was not warned of side effects, they were not picked up by medics, I found out by accident. I will never take them again.
It amazes me that another identified side effect never seems to be mentioned on diabetic forums - the fact that they can trigger type 2 diabetes. I suppose if you're diabetic already you don't care - they just up your BG levels so you take more of some other medication to lower them again.

Reactions: 3 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
can you tell me what type and dosage you were on,for how long , and what side effects did you have please ?
how much did they increase your bgs by ?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It has always puzzled me how people can be so against something without even trying it .

Research and lot's of anecdotal evidence from people I know including some family members convince me they're not for me so I believe you can be against something without actually trying it-I don't need to put my hand in a blender to know that it'll hurt.

annew

Shane
I was on 40 mg simvastatin from,I thnk, about 1991. (There is a history of high cholesterol in my family so think it is probably genetic.) For a long time I didn't notice any side effects, and when I had stiff limbs in the morning and it was painful coming downstairs first thing I put it down to menopausal symptoms. In 2002, so after about 10 years, having had increasing pains in my legs, one day I was unable to stand and ended up in A&E. My legs gradually improved ........ but collapsed again unable to stand in 2007. By then I was having extremely painful night cramps as well as leg pains Once I stopped the stains things improved immediately and over 2-3 months returned to normal. I can now walk 10 miles if I want to no problem previously sometimes I couldn't walk 100 yards. I'm lucky there doesn't appear to be long term muscle damage. Regular medication "reviews" achieved nothing and I was less well informed then.
Couple that with atenolol that I was also prescribed - not for so long but for a number of years - another medication known to trigger type 2 - well, say no more.
No idea of the effect on my personal BG as I wasn't diagnosed then so didn't test. But have 2 diabetic friends who were started on statins who both saw a rise in their BG and it is a published side effect.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
Shane
I was on 40 mg simvastatin from,I thnk, about 1991. (There is a history of high cholesterol in my family so think it is probably genetic.) For a long time I didn't notice any side effects, and when I had stiff limbs in the morning and it was painful coming downstairs first thing I put it down to menopausal symptoms. In 2002, so after about 10 years, having had increasing pains in my legs, one day I was unable to stand and ended up in A&E. My legs gradually improved ........ but collapsed again unable to stand in 2007. By then I was having extremely painful night cramps as well as leg pains Once I stopped the stains things improved immediately and over 2-3 months returned to normal. I can now walk 10 miles if I want to no problem previously sometimes I couldn't walk 100 yards. I'm lucky there doesn't appear to be long term muscle damage. Regular medication "reviews" achieved nothing and I was less well informed then.
Couple that with atenolol that I was also prescribed - not for so long but for a number of years - another medication known to trigger type 2 - well, say no more.
No idea of the effect on my personal BG as I wasn't diagnosed then so didn't test. But have 2 diabetic friends who were started on statins who both saw a rise in their BG and it is a published side effect.
thank you ,and how are your cholesterol levels now ?

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
I hope I don't get these side effects as the statin is doing good job at controlling my cholestrol

annew

No idea. Blood test next week. might tell me but I've only asked for Hba1c check. I'm a woman so at far less risk than you Shane and can't spend my life worrying unduly about it. I feel fit and healthy and have excellent BG control. On statins my life was utter misery. You said everyone against them had'nt tried them - not true - you asked about my experience and I told you. It was my experience and my decisions about my life and health.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
my apologies I thought I said that some people not all ,
thank you for your answer its been most helpful to me.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
can you tell me what type and dosage you were on,for how long , and what side effects did you have please ?
how much did they increase your bgs by ?

20 mg simv prescribed about 10 years ago. I took them for a few months. Total chol lowered - from about 5.5. to about 4, muscle pains & weakness developed - I put it down to the combination of age (then 65) & diabetes progression, until I read in the Balance mag letters that 2 readers had muscle pains from statins. I immediately stopped taking them without consulting the Dr. After a week the pains had gone. I then told Dr who agreed the side effect & did not prescribe other statins.

However, after a year of so, with chol about 5.5 he tried me on a high dose of niacin - a three week intiation dose, 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg,. I charted my fasting BGs during that time & for a week before & after.

Before - fasting average for a week - 6.1
250 mg - 6.1
500 mg - 7.3
750 mg - 7.3 - and leg muscle pains were beginning
after ceasing - 6.2

I would rather live with the supposed risks of of chol around 5.5 than suffer the complications of anti-chol drugs which were destroying my quality of life.