Reactions: 8 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I think I visited Protaras on holiday in Cyprus years ago,if I'm correct it was not far from Ayia napa and the ghost town of farmagusta and when i went they were starting to build lots of new villas and holiday accomodation...we were only visiting as we were staying in a hotel in a area called Yermasoya (I'm not sure I spelled that right) near Limmasol...Great holiday,great food,great people....Love Cyprus and the Trudos mountains are beautiful.

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Paul

Glad you had a good time when you were here last. Yermasoyia is indeed in Limassol and Protaras is a resort near Ayia Napa and Famagusta. Not too much wrong with your memory.

We have a summer house here but do not usually visit in the winter months. We stayed here last night as my 10 year old son, who is a keen chess player, is taking part in the National Championship in Ayia Napa this weekend.

I went for my usual Sunday morning walk and it was quite a surreal experience: streets and beaches which a few months ago were buzzing with people were now completely empty ( with the exception of some friendly but rather hungry looking cats).

It felt a bit like being in a film were you wake up to find that everyone else has been abducted by aliens!

Anyway, I kept myself amused by taking photos using my phone and thought it might make a pleasant change from all the diabetes talk if I shared them.

Do look me up if you ever find yourself in these parts again.

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yassou Pavlos. I lived in Cyprus for 5 years in the early 90s, and your photos have reminded me how much I miss it! A very beautiful country full of wonderful people. Got to go back one day.

Reactions: 2 people

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It looks stunning huni. Thank you for sharing the photos. Looks a lot nicer than the cold, wet, windy weather here in Norfolk today! Always fancied visiting, but it's a long way to swim lol.

Smartie xx

Reactions: 4 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
My Great Aunt married a Turkish Cypriot who came over during the war, her house is called Trudos.

We have yet to visit Cyprus but I do like a deserted beach! The water looks lovely and clear. My nearest beach is Hunstanton which is on the East Coast of England. The water is grey/brown. :(

How did your son do in the chess tournament?

Cara

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Great Aunt married a Turkish Cypriot who came over during the war, her house is called Trudos.

We have yet to visit Cyprus but I do like a deserted beach! The water looks lovely and clear. My nearest beach is Hunstanton which is on the East Coast of England. The water is grey/brown. :(

How did your son do in the chess tournament?

Cara
He won two of his first five games, and is currently playing round six, which is not too bad considering that he is only ten and playing in a competition for adults. We are using this tournament as practice for the national youth championships, which will follow.

I am quite proud of him but try not to let him catch on too much - don't want him getting too big headed. His an only child and spoilt enough as it is.

Thank you for asking.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see your floods are worse than ours then. (It's OK, I'm only jealous). Nice photographs.

Unfortunately, we have had no rain to speak of this year in Cyprus, so we are heading for a water shortage and water rationing this summer.

It's other too much rain or none at all, it seems we can never win!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's other too much rain or none at all, it seems we can never win!

It seems as if we always complain about something but seriously there are houses in England which have been up to their doorknobs in water for three weeks now. We should rotate. One week in Cyprus and one week here.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It seems as if we always complain about something but seriously there are houses in England which have been up to their doorknobs in water for three weeks now. We should rotate. One week in Cyprus and one week here.

I know and am very sorry about the floods in England - that is what I was alluding to by my reference to too much rain.

We never get too much rain in Cyprus. This is a good thing for the tourists but not so great for the locals - particularly the farmers.

I lived in the Uk for almost ten years, most of that spent in Bristol. Not such a bad place, at all. The grass at least is definitely greener over there!

Still try to visit every year or so, mostly bright lights of London. Keep saying that I should go to the Lake District and the Scottish Highlands but have not managed it yet.

It would be easier to plan visit, if I new what week the next British summer would fall in! :).

My son is a keen Manchester City fan and I did promise him to take him over to see them. Anyone have a couple of Capital One cup final tickets available?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Every time I see your photos I yearn for my holidays only 4 months to wait can't wait

Type 2 diagnosed 2010 1 metformin twice a day

Reactions: 4 people