Concerns for dementia diagnosed diabetics in hospital

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I am so very sorry to hear about your mum.
Keep well. My thoughts are for you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

bopeep12300

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to let you all know that mum passed away last night in hospital. I am furious at what they did to her. x

OMG I'm truly saddened to hear this. Those nurses ought to be held accountable for the way they treated your dear mother.
If it's any consolation at least she's at peace now & is no longer suffering.
May god bless you & your family & help you through this very sad time.
Now it's time to take care of yourself xxxxx

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel like you are my little sister and I want you to know how very sorry I am to hear your sad news,especially today has we buried my mum today.
I want to send you a big hug and hope that your family and friends give you loads of support though all this.

I found it hard today, even so in another way it's been good to see our family gathered together ,mum would have been so proud.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your sup[port 2Christine. Hope the day wnet OK - very sad. Little sister??? I'm nearly 62!!!!! Going on 23! We are at the undertaker tomorrow. I have now got over the wanting to sue everyone in sight from all the nurses to the hospitla cat and the paper boy but I really would like to get a campaign going for better treatment for diabetics and elderly/demntia sufferers during their stay in hosptial. I mean WHAT exactly is the point in waking an old confused lady up at quarter to midnioght or half one or five thirty in a norning to test her blood other than just upset her. WHAT is the pount in changing all her isulin when she was foing ok or stopping it all together like they did. and to be honest, if she can't eat, what does it matter if the porridge she can manage has golden syrup flavour - at 92 its better to have that than starve to death as they let her do.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your sup[port 2Christine. Hope the day wnet OK - very sad. Little sister??? I'm nearly 62!!!!! Going on 23! We are at the undertaker tomorrow. I have now got over the wanting to sue everyone in sight from all the nurses to the hospitla cat and the paper boy but I really would like to get a campaign going for better treatment for diabetics and elderly/demntia sufferers during their stay in hosptial. I mean WHAT exactly is the point in waking an old confused lady up at quarter to midnioght or half one or five thirty in a norning to test her blood other than just upset her. WHAT is the pount in changing all her isulin when she was foing ok or stopping it all together like they did. and to be honest, if she can't eat, what does it matter if the porridge she can manage has golden syrup flavour - at 92 its better to have that than starve to death as they let her do.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but the only road to change is to sue them.

Management will react to it, the local press will react, and it can't be brushed to one side with an empty promise.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Just to let you all know that mum passed away last night in hospital. I am furious at what they did to her. x

Love and thoughts to you .
Your mum will be safe and at peace now .
This cant have been easy for you either . x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I feel like you are my little sister and I want you to know how very sorry I am to hear your sad news,especially today has we buried my mum today.
I want to send you a big hug and hope that your family and friends give you loads of support though all this.

I found it hard today, even so in another way it's been good to see our family gathered together ,mum would have been so proud.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Love and thoughts to you too Christine .
Yep - bet your mum was smiling down on you all . x

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you to all.
We actually sued in 2011, when mum went in to the other local hospital - the same happend with her diabetise and then nurse left her in the toilet telling her to pull the chord when done. Obviously because mum had dementia she would not rememebr tro do that but during a compass mentus moment she told me she had but no one had gone back. Another patient found her on the floor covered in blood, we THINK she had tried to get up herself and had fallen smashing her face and head into something and gashing her arm i two places. We never found out what she had hit and were fobbed off trying to find out but mum's dementia accelerated very quickly after the head injury. Two years later she stillhad a lump on her forehead and two very prominent scars on her arm (I h still have the photos of her injuries back then as they were on file). They tried to shut me up but would not accept any responsibility but I said they were to blame and did eventually get a letter from the local head of the NHS but still no signs above the beds saying diabetic and the Alzhemers Society tell me that there are signs all over that hospital promoting the 'Butterfly scheme' showing dementia but it is an opt in scheme not an opt out one (patients confidentiality) and another lady had asked about it when her mother was there (who also passed away) only to be told by the nurses that they didn't have time for to deal with the butterfly scheme. My arguement is that firstly elderly people should be comforted and cared for in addition to receiving medical treatment and, althouygh the NHS are always saying how short of funding they are they are actually costing the NHS a lot more as they are causing more illness and suffering which in the long run is costing vast amounts plus numerous people are suing - illogical. Funnily enough, a girl at work was telling me at work yesterday that her grandparents bit died on the same Unit as my mum (one in the male part and one in the female part) and they alson had serious concerns. - Once we get evertthong sorted then I do not intend letting it drop but doing something - too late for some - includingmum- but it might help some other elderly person, dementia suffer, diabetic etc. I have suggested to my brother that we have family flowers only with any donations to be split between Diabetic UK and Alzheimers. Society. I trhink it sounds a bit like we are just after money if we tried to sue again, which isn't the case and the little bit we did get helped us to get a really good wheel chair for mum and pay for her to have some double glazing and repairs plus we have a little left over which will help to give her a good send off. - It wasn't the money last time either - it was that letter of admitting responsability I wanted. MInd you - one rather amusing monent at the time was that at the best interest meeting the hosptial social worker was quite obnoxious and I threatened to go above him and report him. He turned around and said I could go to the then (not in power now unfortunately) leader of our council - and named the leader of the council, What he didn't know was that the leader of the coucil was my daughter boyfriend at thate time so I picked up my mobile phone and called him direct. whilst srtillin the meeting. The poor chaps face was a picture and the meeting was closed there and then. We were given a new social worker and it was him that saw mum on the wars and her injuries, he got in touch with me to warn me she was in a bit of a mess and he was the one that recommended we sue and told us that Social services would back us - and they did!!!

People should not have to fight for fair treatment for their loved ones though.

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to let everyone know that I have not forgotten everyone - funeral is 6th Feb with family flowers only and request for donations for Diabetic UK and Alzheimers Society. - Once we get that over with I intend starting the complaints procedure and getting my campaign going. Still waiting to see if the Coronor is going to order an inquest - I have been told that the pathologist can't see anything wrong with the skin tears and bruising due to thin skin and the insertion of cannula but I have some discharge noters from April saying that mum was unable to tolerate a cannula so had to be given oral medications and not to use plasters due to the thinness of her skin - both doen to her during the most revcent period AND if her skin was so thin why do they not take more care - she did not get these when we had her a home and was being dealt with by district nurses and carers on a daily basis. Even the district nurses cannot understand why they would not allow her the porridge she loved rather than letting her starve. Also she had chronis heart disease so fighting against her instead of standing back will have helped a lot I am sure. I do not understand why they have to test the bllodd during the night every couple of hours - and cannot understand why they say that the diabtice is not under control when they are merrily bunging sugar in the cups of tea so it isd hardly suprising really. Why do they fix what wasn't bust. I am sure that half they things they are doing is to cover themselves and not for the care and comfort of patients. I have been hearing the most horrendous stories about treatment of other people in our local hospitals including one gentleman who went in with a strained wrist and also passed away. - I am finding some of the tales quite frightening

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick update. Funeral was last Thursday. My daughter did a really nice euology booklet for distribution and we inpregnated lots of little bows in different colours (mum didn't like black althpough I wear it almost all the time lol) with mum's signiture perfume and we stuck them on the front of the booklet so the whole place smelt of mum's favourite scent. Everyone thought it waslovely. We did the collection and I made the cash up to £200 so Diabtetes UK have been sent a cheque for £100 as a donation from mum and the same amount has been handed over to our local Alzheimers Society.

We have received the Pathologists and Coroners report the conclusion of that mum doed of natural causes and her handling was just normal and there were no signs on neglect or any cause for concern on the ward. He actuall cause of death was cystitus and the pathologuist said he had never sen such a bad case in 35 years of practise - yet she did not have that when she went in.

HOWEVER - I have sent the report BACK to the Coroner as I have refused to accept in on the grounds that they had got her date of birth wrong - knocking 8 years off her age. They had got her date of death wrong and say she lived and ectra day. They are referring a lot to her knee replacement - she never had one. and they notified us of an Inqusest then sid it was mistake and she wasn't having on as the death was natural causes with no concerns i.e. she was old and ill so get over it type of thing. AND we got a letter from the Post oficve so had to go and collect and unpaid for letter. It was a second Coroners report. It wasn't that it cost us £1.50 but that such an important document had been put in the post with No Stamp!!!!!! I think it should have been recoded delivery at the least.

Also, I just wondered - records of tesing my mum's BM whilst she was in hospital showed that she was tested at stuopid times and woken up very late at night and in the very early hours of the morning - why do they do that??? I always thought then when ill you need rest and your body replenishes itself during the night when you are asleep so what is the point of waking up a poorly elderly and cionfused old lady from her sleep to do it. and why STOP her insulin and give the reason that they did that because her sugar levels were normal - isn't that WHY you take insulin and as they then went haywire ans far too high - which caused her to be very very sick isn't it a but stuipid to give her ginger biscuits to eat (especially as she had never liked ginger in any form never mind the sugar content) but refuse to give her her the Oat so simple Golden syrup porridge which she had been having for years with no problems as it wasn't suitable for diabetis, might burn her mouth (we used to put cold milk in to cool it down) .
We have been advised to report anyissues to Health Watch over the phone - any concerns it is a good idea to do that as the Inspectors are in locally at the moment so if any one else has any issues I would say report to to health watch.

I have told them that Diabetics, Dementia suffers, elderly and any one vulnerable (it could even be a child with diabetise) need better and INDIVIDUAL care in hospital and I intend kicking a fuss up until it is looked in to properly

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,
Firstly so sorry to hear of your loss and the dreadful trauma that you and your mum experienced before she passed away.
I am a mental health nurse although I teach now rather than practice. In my day we automatically did tests for urinery tract and chest infections when someone came in with dementia. Any nurse/medic worth their salt knows, these conditions can make the symptoms of dementia much, much worse.
I know that the NHS is in dire straits at the moment, but there is no excuse for bad nursing care.
Unfortunately I've realised over the years that many people in the nursing profession have no right to be there and they need to be weeded out. I'd like to be proud of my profession, but the more I hear, the more ashamed I am.
Don't be fobbed off, everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Sadistic 'nurses' should be named and shamed as the awful examples of humanity that they are.
Ness

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Firstly so sorry to hear of your loss and the dreadful trauma that you and your mum experienced before she passed away.
I am a mental health nurse although I teach now rather than practice. In my day we automatically did tests for urinery tract and chest infections when someone came in with dementia. Any nurse/medic worth their salt knows, these conditions can make the symptoms of dementia much, much worse.
I know that the NHS is in dire straits at the moment, but there is no excuse for bad nursing care.
Unfortunately I've realised over the years that many people in the nursing profession have no right to be there and they need to be weeded out. I'd like to be proud of my profession, but the more I hear, the more ashamed I am.
Don't be fobbed off, everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Sadistic 'nurses' should be named and shamed as the awful examples of humanity that they are.
Ness
I so agree with Ness on this, and feel so sad for your loss of your mum. I am ashamed to say I too have been a nurse in my time and do not say so as a rule, because I don't want to be associated with the way things are now.(for example , I thought I knew all about diabetes ,the NHS guide lines),rubbish.
I tried to stop the cruelty in my own area whenever I worked but there was no beating management, they just make you feel you are in the wrong ,and then cover up the disgrace .I am willing to stand up and be counted on your side to bring a halt to this uncaring behaviour.

ps you are young enough to be my sister I am 67.ha ha.

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just re-read my post and the spelling is awful!!!!! Lol - sometimes my hands go a bit quicker than my brain works!!!! My apologies!!!!

Thank you Vanessa and Chrisitne and all others who have responded to my posts. There are obviously concerns that need to heard by someone. !!!!

I would like to thank you all for your support - it really has helped to let off steam to people who know where I am coming from Especially my new big sis!!! (2Chrisitne) - so - I have reported this to HealthWatch - I have complained left right and centre - now we need to all get together and give a voice to people - My cousin is a nurse and a damned good one so I know there are still some good ones out there but she never wanted to be anything else but a nurse, totally dedicated - even as a little girl - I have seen her nurse her own dad through Cancer until his death, she cares for her mum who has hip and knee replacements and can't get around too well and also works full time and shifts whilst looking after her own husband who is waiting for a heart transplant so is a very poorly man and has brought up two chidlren now both in their early 20's - she is disgusted with what her Auntie Eileen has gone through.
I suggest we all get our heads together and ask for advice from Diabetese UK and Alzheimers on how to actually get my campaign going adn if they have any suggestions we can put forward for better care for these groups - if enough of us are willing to stand up and be counted then they will have to take notice of us (hopefully)
I was given an email address to complain about individual nurses but the thing that gets me is that loads of people have tales to tell or complain but it never gets in the PUBLIC eye but is 'kept in-doors' so to speak. I really feel it needs to be made public - like Christine says - you are up against management - we need to by pass them.
My daughter knows quite a few people in the media and quite a few politicians (It was quite funny, looking back, as in 2011 when I had to go to a best interest meeeting with panel and a Social Worker at the same hospital mum died in this time, that was the year we actually sued but this inciden was before the accident that brought that on. To be fair I have found some of our Social Workers very good but this chap was not a nice chap and was insiting we put mum in a home - possibly due to less paper work for him - he is the reason we got Full and LASTING powerof Attourney. At the meeting he was not writing down the comments as they were being said - I was sat next to him and noticed that he was not writing the correct notes but making his own opinions known as if they were comng from someone else. at the meeting. Eventually I pointed out that he had not written what was being said and he just turned to me and said He had made the decision that my mother was going into a home and he was taking it out of my hands and (not sure of the words he used) but was sort of making her a Ward of Court. Full stop, end of, nothing you can do, so tough type of attitiude.- I said at the meeting that I would go above him and report him to the Council. He turned to me and said 'For all I care you can go to **********- and then he named the then leader of our local Council. What he didn't know was that that leader was at that point in time, my daughters boyfriend so I picked up my mobile phone and called him!!! The Social Workers face was a picture - the meeting, was abandoned and the councillor - who was at White hall at the time so didn't even answer the phone just got a voicemail from me, - called me the next day. He was disgusted too. The results were that mum only went in for respite and we did get her home eventually and,had a couple more years with her. BUT if I had not had the facility to call that councillor or had not been tough enough to stand up to the Social Worker things would have been different.
I shall start investigating how we can all get our voices heard.
Must go now as I am working late shift and must get ready for work myself. But if anyone has more tales for me and are willing to join my campaign just let me know.
Lyn
P.S. I have rechecked for spelling errors this time!!!!!

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will help in any way I can, so will my family. I do hope more members of this forum will help too. bless you Lyn.

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had an email from a freelance reporter swho wants to talk to me about my campaign for better care for Diabetics, elderly, alzheimers suffers and waht happened to my mum. I intend giving Diabetic UK a plug and also the Alzheimers Society - any advice????

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Care for elerly diabetics whether in hospitals or oap homes is seriously, chronically mismanaged. I have worked in oap homes with diabetic residents, and basically I wouldnt care for my worst enemy like they are cared for.

Everybody else thinks they are experts on diabetes whether nurses, oap home management or carers etc...

The persons that know their bodies best are patients and their closest families... With dementia/alzheimers you may not be able to fully care, but immediate family should know enough and be lustened to

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App