Charcot Foot

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
spiders, ants, wasps, ignorant people, people with no manners.
Hi sorry to hear your not been looked after the best. Are you on Facebook there's a great Facebook page which offers a lot of help and support. Like you say there's no information out there it's a very frustrating condition. The good news is you've started treatment I'm not sure what an air walker is but presume it's like mine an air cast. It's a very long and slow condition how is your ulcer? It can be very scary if its misdiagnosed :( it's a shame you only had a few years of bad control to end up with this condition. How's treatment going?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi how are things going any more on the update? Think my phones lost a few posts :(

Support

Im 28 and I have had Charcot in both feet. I now have an ulcer on my toe for 3 months and it is not improving I'm due to have an MRI at the end of the month as they are worried it is ostemylytis (sp). Has anyone else had this?

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that. it's bad enough having this condition out our young age never mind us having it in both feet! I hope your getting enough advice and support through this condition. How long have you had and what stage are you at? If you don't mind me asking. An ulcer too

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It is I keep getting set back just feels like it's always gonna go from one foot to the other. Mine happened in May also luckily I've had no ulcers but it's terribly frustrating :( very life changing and still no awareness about it.

Support

I know and with me it took a very long time to diagnose and I wasn't given proper treatment. Which is why I think I got it in the other foot. That too wasn't picked up because basis tests like temperature were not performed and once they eventually realised it was Charcot permanent damage had already started. Are you still in a cast?

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's a shame I don't understand why they misdiagnose a lot you would think they would no what they are doing by now our age probably dosent help. My lefts in an air cast my right has now healed and I've started weight bearing in a supportive shoe think it will be a whole year before I'm back to normal awful condition

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well still plodding along. Started they think December 2013. Been in a cast twice but after a week have ulcers so back in aircast boot. All this despite non weight bearing. Find crutches very difficult if go out which tends to be hospital appointments only. Asked consultant about wheelchair but seems reluctant to refer me but need to get out for some fresh air and dog walks now hopefully the better weather is coming. At this weeks app they had no temperature tester as normal podiatrist on holiday so the one covering felt my feet and said didn't think it was charcot cause it wasn't red hot!!!!! To cap it all had to go to hospital 2 other times for laser and back next week for more as getting another cater act removed. Also foot clinic and also another hospital for cardio. My life is one hospital app after another.

emmaw_13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry to hear you have no luck at the moment I struggled to get a wheelchair but like you I like to be out and walk my dog. In the end I managed to get one through my GP so that may be an option. I've heard a lot of hospitals don't check the temperature of there patients feet I feel that's not good enough like you someone feeling your foot isn't giving you an exact reading for saying it's one of the most common symptoms. I'm in 2 air casts also just feels along slow journey :( with no end I'm sight I'm also worried I may have heart disease :(

BigBobW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed T2 in 2005 at age 44. It was pretty apparent that I had diabetes for some years previous. Strange thing was, I had no symptoms. It was picked up during an insurance medical.

Anyway, 2 years later, I had a painful right foot. I just thought it was an injury I picked up unknowingly. This gradually got worse, up to the point where I went to A and E. They just thought it was a sprain. Also visited my GP who diagnosed fallen arches. So I carried on regardless.

It was not until I had my annual review with my diabetes nurse, that she noticed the swelling. Suspected Charcot - I'd never heard of it before. She referred me to the podiatry clinic where the diagnosis was confirmed. I then spent about 4 months in an air cast.

Luckily, I think it was caught just in time. I now have prescribed foot ware and 6 weekly podiatry checks. But, touch wood, no more complications. Excellent care.

What amazes me is the lack of recognition of Charcot. Both my GP and a and e doctor did not know the condition. I truly believe my nurse saved my foot.

Steven_49

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I feel so low sick ov my life it's just one thing after an other I feel arm so alone in a very dark deep hole just can't seem to claim out

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel so low sick ov my life it's just one thing after an other I feel arm so alone in a very dark deep hole just can't seem to claim out

Hi Steven,

I am afraid this is an old, inactive thread that hasn't been used for more than 2 years, so you may not get many responses on it.

Why not post a new thread to explain how you are feeling and see what support people can offer?

If there is one thing I am certain of, whatever you are feeling, and whatever your experiences, there will be other people on the forum who have had similar experiences and can appreciate what you are going through.