Statin News.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
20 mg simv prescribed about 10 years ago. I took them for a few months. Total chol lowered - from about 5.5. to about 4, muscle pains & weakness developed - I put it down to the combination of age (then 65) & diabetes progression, until I read in the Balance mag letters that 2 readers had muscle pains from statins. I immediately stopped taking them without consulting the Dr. After a week the pains had gone. I then told Dr who agreed the side effect & did not prescribe other statins.

However, after a year of so, with chol about 5.5 he tried me on a high dose of niacin - a three week intiation dose, 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg,. I charted my fasting BGs during that time & for a week before & after.

Before - fasting average for a week - 6.1
250 mg - 6.1
500 mg - 7.3
750 mg - 7.3 - and leg muscle pains were beginning
after ceasing - 6.2

I would rather live with the supposed risks of of chol around 5.5 than suffer the complications of anti-chol drugs which were destroying my quality of life.
thanks for that info

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Again, I've read in this thread that statins are proven to cause diabetes. Then same study also stated stains are as equally proven to reduce the risk of diabetes. So again, different drugs, different people, different effect.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

I think until the day that prescribed drugs are tailored to the individual then there will always be people who can/cannot tolerate them. If I had been able to tolerate statins then in all possibility I would have continued with them.

Pharmacogenetics - differences in genetic make up in individuals affect what the body does to the drug and what the drug does to the body.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/dr...ugs/genetic_makeup_and_response_to_drugs.html

I was surprised that nobody commented on the 2nd. article in my original post.

HDL. Good cholesterol found not to cut heart risk.
Doubt cast on the "Good" in "Good cholesterol".

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/h...sterol-found-not-to-cut-heart-risk.html?_r=1&

Plasma HDL. Cholesterol and risk of myocardial infarction.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60312-2/fulltext
It is important, he said, that the patient should make the decision that is right for him or her, weighing up the benefits of the drugs against the side-effects and also considering the other option – to get fitter and healthier.
Some doctors believe that the benefits of statins have been overstated, particularly for the lowest-risk group.
"The overwhelming majority of people in this category are not going to benefit," said cardiologist Aseem Malhotra. "Real world data [as opposed to clinical trials] tells us that one in five people will suffer a side-effect that is unacceptable."
Those side-effects could include muscle pains, memory loss and erectile dysfunction, he said. Some people on the drugs also develop type 2 diabetes.
John Abramson, senior lecturer in the department of healthcare policy at Harvard medical school, said the trials on statins did not show that they prevented deaths. They also prevented only a small number of heart attacks and strokes, he said.
Full article here; written two days ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...ug-statins-offered-millions-more-nhs-guidance
Even a small number of prevented heart attacks and strokes is better than none
Well, I am someone who HAS tried them and found the side effects totally unacceptable, making my life an absolute misery. I was not warned of side effects, they were not picked up by medics, I found out by accident. I will never take them again.
It amazes me that another identified side effect never seems to be mentioned on diabetic forums - the fact that they can trigger type 2 diabetes. I suppose if you're diabetic already you don't care - they just up your BG levels so you take more of some other medication to lower them again.
I do understand that people who have bad side effects from them are then wary of taking them but those who like me have never had side effects have no reason to stop them .I have never had any side effects but when I started them my GP said if I did have any side effects especially leg or any other pains to stop them straight away and see her Had this happened I would not have stopped them altogether just tried another type. I am afraid studies would have to be far more conclusive about adverse effects for me to stop taking them

A

AnnieC

Again, I've read in this thread that statins are proven to cause diabetes. Then same study also stated stains are as equally proven to reduce the risk of diabetes. So again, different drugs, different people, different effect.

Yes it all boils down to how all drugs not just statins affect individual people.

Last edited:

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
knowing what side effects people get from statins ,helps those of us that take them ,we are more aware of what to look out for as regards potential problems if any that may arise

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
knowing what side effects people get from statins ,helps those of us that take them ,we are more aware of what to look out for as regards potential problems if any that may arise
My GP said he hadn't warned me about statin side effects because telling patients about them makes us imagine we have them. It was reassuring to know that with all the changes in the NHS the principle of patronising patients is still going strong. But it did have the good effect of making him immediately accept my side effects as real and not imaginary.

Kate

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

I hope I don't get these side effects as the statin is doing good job at controlling my cholestrol

The most serious side effect when you should stop taking them at once is muscle pain if you get that see your GP straight away most of them will tell you this when you start on them. All the side effects are on the leaflet in the packet

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I hope I don't get these side effects as the statin is doing good job at controlling my cholestrol

I don't know how long you've been taking them Shane but it's likely that you would have had the side-effects from the onset, if your taking them and having no side-effects and they are controlling your cholesterol then why stop them?

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
I don't know how long you've been taking them Shane but it's likely that you would have had the side-effects from the onset, if your taking them and having no side-effects and they are controlling your cholesterol then why stop them?
im not going to unless I get serious side effects.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Simvastatin for a couple of years without side effects (apart from weird dreams), but then I began to get severe leg cramps and muscle pains. These symptoms went away when I stopped taking them. I then tried Atorvastatin but after a couple of weeks it felt like I had been worked over with a baseball bat, so I stopped those too. More recently I have been on Pravastatin but I get symptoms of neuropathy and muscle pains which go away when I stop them, so I can't tolerate those either.

I had never thought to report these side effects to MHRA yellow card scheme, but reading this thread yesterday I felt I should, so I did.

I wonder how many people who get side effects actually bother to do this. My doctor always seems to downplay any symptoms I get as being insignificant, so I can't imagine that he would report them.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Daily mail had a good article this week.. 1 chap with the cons and 1 with pro's.

I was put on another statin again and the chap in this papee stating that a patient came to him with heart pains was the same as me twice.

Heart pains by my gp was put to me in a question... His reasoning for them... Are you stressed?
My reaction..... No, not at all, compared to the last 4 years... I'm lying flat out horizontal relaxed.
I stopped statin, once again ( as in the daily mail article) the gripping feelings on my heart has gone.

My hubby now takes the statins instead, just one or two a week.. His levels were over 6 and not given them. He doesnt have probs yet. My problems on two iccasions started after 6 months.. Both times I had weight gain too.

I will never take statins again.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pipwizard

I was prescribed the atorvastatin and taken myself off as I was getting palpitations and was making me Unwell I've heard good and bad so I'm not sure wat to think realy

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l see in todays news a health chief has slammed them as dangerous. said you will still die at the same time just with a different diagnosis.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
To me... Drugs (except real life savings ones like insulin) are just intrusive extras into our bodies.

I personally accept death and everything as a part of my living. I will not personally have any more drugs like statins that are mass produced money making unsure of, could be damaging, could be not damaging drugs agsin.

Peesonally for me.. I have found 3 problems in 3 products of large medical companies... Sets for accuchek pump... Told them---proved. Probems with navigator cgm told them... Proved. Problems with statins... Told them.... Depends who you listen to...

I know from 2 out of 3 probs even mentioning on this website... 90% of the people that responded said the probs were with me.... They were wrong. I reported both probs to mhra and I was right.

As far as I am concerned.. i know my body. I report problems. Statins... Well nobody will ever know about these. I reckon in 100 years time they will laugh at anybody that took them.... But that my opinion. I know how my body feels with ALL drugs... So I report and make up kwn mind whetber to continue or not.

The worst thing to do is to have side effects and do nothing. If you dont get side effects -great... If you do.. Report... And make up iwn mind....dont bleat and whinee on forums etc.. Just do the right thing...