Low carb, high fat?

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. I'm new to reducing my carb intake, currently at around the 100g a day mark, and interested in getting to a low carb diet, around 50g per day. Im finding it difficult to get my head around the high fat aspect of it as its always drummed in to eat low fat. Im interested in how easy it is to lose weight eating this way as ive still got about 3 stone to lose.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

annew

Personally I found it very easy to lose weight on LCHF - I've lost about 14kg, or over 2 stone, which is what I needed to lose. I think calling it "high fat" is a bit misleading - you don't have to actively seek out and eat lots of fat! Just change from low fat products to using good fats - such as butter, olive oil etc. I don't eat any bread, potatoes pasta pastry etc - only the odd slice of LivLife low carb bread once or twice a week - so what can you put butter on? A knob on my veg, a bit to fry my mushrooms for breakfast -but hardly high fat. Most ready made low fat products have added sugar or sweeteners to compensate for the taste that lost when fat is taken out.
Do you have a meter so you can check your BG readings before and after meals and find out exactly what suits you best - we are all different in our reactions to different foods and the amount of carbs we can tolerate.
Oh, and you never need to feel hungry on LCHF, a big bonus I found!
Good luck.
Anne

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, yes after all these years of being brainwashed into thinking fat is bad, its understandable that its hard to accept, many folks cant, all i would say is try it!, its amazing i lost a stone a month, as said, you dont have to eat blocks of lard, you just stop avoiding fat, and i never eat anything that says low fat, this way, you dont seem to get hungry because the fat satiates you, my cholesterol fell like a stone along with my weight and bp , you will read that you have no energy on lchf but thats codswallop, id say try and see what you think :) nothing to lose everything to gain, it will put your bg just where you want it :) so much so it has made me a lchf evangelist, something im proud of but as so many folks dont agree with it here i try to not shout too loud as it causes fights lol but heyho the important thing is, i have great bg, chol, bp and energy, and you get to eat scrummy stuff that feels naughty but isnt

best of luck!

Reactions: 2 people

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that. I was a bit confused about the fats side of it. Sounds good to me to be able to use real butter etc. The diet im on at the moment is working for losing weight, but I really want to get my bg under control too. X

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
you can eat lots of meat including fry ups, full fat double cream (with sugar free jelly of course) full fat cheese, leave the skin on the chcken, pork scratchings lol eat lots of green leafy stuff, only eat berries if you like fruit, eggs eggs and more eggs, butter, olive oil, nuts, there is a recipe section on here with lots of great low carb treats or look at www.diabeticgoodbaking.com which is ewelinas blog (terrific) basiclly avoid carbs and everything else is good, avoid trans fats though, its universally accepted these are bad but saturated animal fat is fine

this is of course just my opinion :)

edit: sausage can contain other stuff along with meat so choose carefully, black farmers daughter sausages are my choice, there are alternatives to spuds in cauliflower or celeriac mash to have with your meat and veg on a sunday, look up the recipe or let me know if you cant find it ill post it here

cauliflower is our friend, you can make mash, rice (not rice) and pizza bases with it, its surprisingly good

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need about 210 g glucose per day and your brain needs something like 130g of that. So, if you only eat 100g, your body has to get energy from somewhere and it does so by converting things like your fatty acids to glucose and, in turn, reducing your stored fats into fatty acids and other molecules. The process is called gluconeogenesis.

"Gluconeogenesis (abbreviated GNG) is a metabolic pathway that results in the generation of glucose from non-carbohydrate carbon substrates such as pyruvate, lactate, glycerol, glucogenic amino acids, and odd-chain fatty acids."

Back in the 1970s and 1980s there was a zero carbohydrate diet, also known as a protein only diet. It was one of these eat as much protein as you want, never feel hungry and lose weight fast. It works but is unpleasant after a short time. It was followed by the Atkins diet which restricts carbs but does not eliminate them. But these are short term weight loss diets where you stop after you achieve your target. Most diabetics are looking for a diet which is a lifestyle change and which they can continue with, one that makes eating pleasurable but which will not raise their BG levels.

If you restrict your carbs, either at 50g or 100g you will use stored fats or intermediate fatty acids for energy but my advice is not to keep topping your fat supply up by eating more of it. Burn off what you have got. Things like fish, especially oily fish and poultry are good but, if you want to stir fry some prawns or a piece of chicken, use a spray oil and if you eat a pork chop, cut off some of the excess fat.

A good tip I remember is that when you cook any meat and let it cool, the fat solidifies. The softer the fat, the better it is. Fish oils remain liquid, so they are best. Chicken fat is very soft so that is OK too but some fats become very hard, and they are the worst ones and should be eaten in moderation.

You need to be careful because mostly people only ever measure their weight and their BG levels. Even though I have regular blood tests which include liver and kidney function tests which are in all the usual tests completely normal, some less common tests show a degree of proteinuria, a kidney problem and my liver triglycerides are too high. I have a healthy heart and low blood sugars so I definitely do not want to stress out my liver and kidneys. I do low carb to some extent but I also try to be moderate in proteins and fats. I am careful with cheese and red meats in the same way that I am careful with white flours or other highly refined carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Remember not everyone loses weight with lchf, I haven't lost a pound and I've been eating low carb for 2 years, Think if you get a meter you will find our what works for getting your BS down.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I would try a variety of diets/foods. Choose what suits best.

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My bg hovers between the low 6's before eating and high 7's two hours after eating at the moment. My dsn tell me thats fine? My hope is that when I reach my goal weight I will be able to maintain that without taking gliclazide. Obviously its all trial and error and finding out what works for me. Sorry if I seem to be asking daft questions. X

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
carbs are glucose, i dont understand all the clever stuff but i understand that, if you put less in, there has to be less in there, simple really, so i tried it and it worked wonders for me, if it doesnt work you can try other things i guess, but this would be my first thing to try if i were you, in fact if i were me too thats why it was lol

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
and there are no daft questions! its all alot to take in, if you dont ask, you wont learn :)