Sugar free biscuits and carbs?

Amy8668

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I bought my partner who is type 1 diabetic some sugar free biscuits. He is just learning how to carb count, we noticed although the sugar content is very low, the carbs are 10g per 2 biscuits, he has been eating about 4 at a time.
His ratio we believe at the moment is roughly 1:20 (not 100% yet) can these be enjoyed guilt free without having to inject? Seeing as these are sold in the hospital as sugar free, it's a little misleading!

I also noticed that 'normal' biscuits we were looking at had about 10g carbs per biscuit, this doesn't seem right? Would he be better eating the ones he enjoys most but less of or sugar free ones?

Thanks

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid many of us ban biscuits from the house! They aren't good for us in any form other than an occasional treat. Reducing the added sugar helps, but there are still carbs left

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would inject if I ate those biscuits.

I was always told not to bother with specially labelled diabetic food as it is expensive and may give you diarrhoea if you eat too much of it (although I was told this about 15 years ago, so maybe things have moved on since then?!)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jade88

Hi has your partner done the DAPHNE course? This is a great way to learn about carb counting and diet. I have had type 1 diabetes for six years and I don't rate the diabetic snacks. My dietician has also agreed that when carb counting you should be able to enjoy normal snacks and the special snacks just seem to be more expensive and not always the best option.
In regards to ratio I find mine differs from 1:10 to 2:10 so best way to know is trial and error may need different ratio depending on time of day for example!
Hope this helps good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes I would be injecting if I had 4 of those. I do allow myself 1 rich tea biscuit with a cuppa without injecting (circa 5g) especially if my BSs are in the low 5s. They doesn't seem to affect my blood sugars or my waistline. I guess moderation is the key and with biscuits it's hard to stop at one!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They might be sugar-free but they are not free from flour, flour contains carbohydrates. If he's ratio is 1;20 and he eats 4 biscuits then that's 20g of carbs ........so he needs to inject 1 unit of insulin.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, your boyfriend should definately inject. Its quite difficult to stop on one biscuit and more than that needs some insulin. As noblehead said sugar free is not free from flour so it still may contain lots of carbs

Cleggsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I have been told you can have 15g of carbs without insulin and then a ratio of 1 unit to 10g of carbs if a biscuit is 10g then its about your limit ?

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Biscuits are bad? Digestive ones?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yea thats still a pretty large amount of carbs really, can i suggest looking up a recipie for flax seed bread? ive been eating this if i feel peckish or just want a lower carb meal. its pretty much carb free maybe only 1/2 carbs per slice and its very high in fiber

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Biscuits are bad? Digestive ones?
interestingly they specifically told me to avoid digestives when i was first diagnosed. still not really sure why they would be worse than other biscuits and ironically when ive been to my hospital check up and had a hypo they always try give me them.