Kayaking

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Been getting very down lately, l know why but will take time to sort. Andy talked me into taking our kayaks out to cheer me up. Was 4.5hrs on Leeds Liverpool Canal.
Sunny and water like a mill pond fantastic reflections in the water
Time to think.
Time for feet to totally freeze (been like that since a kid bit of cold = 2 ice blocks
Time to learn to snack better due to large liver dump.... opps
Dropped kayak off the car roof setting up.. Andy bless him pushed one side before l started to secure them.
We both dropped other one getting it off and damaged front of the car pillar
Andy has lovely blood blister on his finger sorting his paddle (at my suggestion as he had to much angle on it)
I got stuck getting out my kayak my feet so cold couldn't coordinate.
Home lifting Kayaks off Andy tripped backwards over low garden wall saved kayak hurt his ankle and leg.
I feel a lot better now despite all the chaos that would have been worth recording l had a few good laughs, got some lovely photos
Even found a Croc in the canal was wondering if l should report it.;)

Andy refection.jpg
Croc.jpg
P2160277.JPG
P2160279.JPG

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's another sport I'm thinking of taking up again. I used to slalom back in the 80's. (I still have the glassfibre canoe) But I went around the outdoor show in London think weekend, Kayaks are so must wider, I'm now so much narrower, In a decent wetsuit, or even my drysuit now, it seems that a decent plastic kayak, or even an inflatable worth be worth a punt, And then the holiday show had so many kayaking holidays...............

Reactions: 2 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
looks nice but im guessing you need to be lightweight and slim for the kayaks ?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personally, I don't know about lightweight.
Slim(ish) helps.
It's balance that got me.
I put on weight, my reactions got worse, my sense of my own balance, and even my own shape was off. So it's put me off doing things like this in sport.
Now I'm back to the shape I was 25 years ago. Maybe a stone or two heavier, but's that muscle. And the confidence is back with a vengeance. (Coupled with a fact I've done most of it already, so the bravado is now replaced by a fact I didn't die the first time around, and even if I do the second I've still had the first) And I know I float in a wet suit, without even trying, so drowning is a ting of the past.
And I can afford it now as well.
And if I don't kill me, diabetes may. And if neither do, I still win.

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
wouldn't mind trying it sometime

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
..............................Time for feet to totally freeze (been like that since a kid bit of cold = 2 ice blocks........................................I got stuck getting out my kayak my feet so cold couldn't coordinate.

I know you hate them, but I now have two pairs of wetsuit boots, I wouldn't be without them.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Shane lots of sizes l was 105kg when l started well restarted did it lots at holiday camp as a kid.
My first kayak here was an inflateable the Tango 2 man. Very stable that now lives in the motorhome lot of places have kayaks you can try.

Douglas l had a pair of socks and a pair of wetsuit bootes on.
Thermals and linned jacket top half was fine. Just my feet well toes rest of the foot was to numb to feel The toes made sure they reminded me it was cold for them

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drove up from Skipton to Settle last week, seem to have mislaid one of my shoes whilst opening a lock gate for a damsel in distress.

I am sad that I have to give that very nice sweety shop in Gargrave a wide berth now :-(

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now, this is what I call a cycle route:

2289227588_85b16c72dc.jpg

and this is a kayaking route:

standedge-1.jpg

Reactions: 7 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Douglas l had a pair of socks and a pair of wetsuit bootes on.
Thermals and linned jacket top half was fine. Just my feet well toes rest of the foot was to numb to feel The toes made sure they reminded me it was cold for them

I'm the same on the bike in the winter, can't keep my feet warm. Thin toe socks, normal socks, bike shoes, waterproof fleece lined overshoes, still blocks of ice afterwards. Excruciating in the shower as my toes go from the colour of wax to the colour of grapes (purple ones) and then back to normal

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
What a great thing to do... I've tried it twice,,, once on a canal. Great fun. Outdoor activities might be what i need to get more active
:D

Reactions: 5 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a plastic sit on top these days, use it mostly off the beach and in surf. If you get a good set of kneestraps you are just as connected as you would be in the old hardshell kayaks, its still possible to eskimo roll if you want to and easier to bail out if you prefer. Much easier to get back onto than with the shell kayaks too. They are great for fishing also.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
i suppose you need a second person with you anyway .when kayaking ,............

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
No l used to go out on the inflateable for at least 7hrs get back gone 01.00 love middle of the night best. Esp in the inflateable for 1 was almost unturnable and l had a lj on so who cares never tipped though.
Now go out with 2 as hub also loves it but in day as he hates nights those to him are for sleeping.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great thing to do... I've tried it twice,,, once on a canal. Great fun. Outdoor activities might be what i need to get more active:D

Have a go and keep having a go until you find something you enjoy doing. 18 months ago I found it hard going walking from the hotel to the car in the car park, unfit, unwell and with osteoarthritis in my ankle. I can now go for walks in the hills and cycle. I start to think of taking holidays which involve activities rather than looking for hotels which are next to all the amenities. I look forward to things like swimming, can do work in the garden and jobs on the house.

Not only does benefit you physically, but if you do something which you enjoy as a pastime, you get so much more out of life. It puts a spring back into your step.

Don't forget to film your exploits for us!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i suppose you need a second person with you anyway .when kayaking ,............

It is advisable to always kayak in company (but I'm involved with lifeboats so I have to say that). I take my portable marine radio with me when I'm out and I always let people know what my intentions are. It is surprising the number of people that get themselves into trouble though, even where they are not alone. The tidal flows here in certain parts of the beach especially near the outer harbour wall can actually run faster than it is possible to paddle, so local knowledge is pretty essential.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That was a good post.
I've just found somewhere to hire a sea kayak from for the last day in Malta, when we need to spend the afternoon non diving, before the plane the next day.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Only sea kayaking l have done was a day last yr from Glenuig Inn in West Coast Scotland Scotland we loved it.
The guide and owner of the inn Steve was brilliant he is also a coach very useful for Andy. The water clear, very deep and warm and he said rare to have rain there their position more sunny than further south.