Day One Metformin

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Hi Guys
Well got my meds 500mg Metformin and I just read all the tiny weeny writing of do's and don't etc.

It says " You need to eat Carbohydrates regularly throughout the day"

Now I have not seen the Nurse yet (1st March) and on here there is a lot about low carb etc so what do I do?

Take the tablet with me rice pudding lol or wait till I see the nurse?

Cheers

Tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone who advocates eating carbohydrates throughout the day never say in what quantity they should be eaten. It is obvious that carbohydrates will contribute to higher sugar levels if you eat lots.

I suppose you could have smaller portions and comply with the "throughout the day" requirement or you could have every other meal without any carbs.

..or you could put the leaflet back in it's box because it sounds like it is quoting the NHS mantra.

PS. When the leaflet says to take them with meals I don't remember it saying meals consisting of carbohydrates.

Reactions: 3 people

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Just wondering if I should hold off till I see the nurse see what diet she puts me on?

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I am on metformin, I do not LOW carb just reduce carb. The only advice I can offer is to take one WITH your meal, by doing this I have not had any problems :) If I snack during the day I have a packet of streaky bacon I cook and put in the fridge, I cut it into about 3 pieces per slice, this stops me eating a hole rasher at one time :)

Reactions: 4 people

mj14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now day 3 Metformin and have to say so far feel fine! Day one, few niggles and rumbles in my tummy and wind (sorry) lol but yest nothing and so far today nothing. Doctors advised upping dose gradually which I am going to do. I have decided very low carb for me. Where as before a mound of potato now a spoonful! I have lost lbs too so all good. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Funny I have been put on 500mg twice a day straight away

mj14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctor told me to gradually build up as could have nasty side effects. Eventually to be on 4 500mg a day. Told me if all ok to start taking 1 more tab with eve meal on tues/wed and so on then a 3rd 4/5 days later.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A bit of porridge for breakfast, with sugar and milk substitutes, maybe some ryvitas for lunch and perhaps a little brown rice or a couple of boiled new potatoes would be safe. If those things spike you, it still won't be as high as marmelade on toast, chips or mashed potatoes. They may want to see how well your body with metformin copes with carbohydrates so starving yourself of them will give false results. Nonetheless, it is not the time to go mad and finishing a meal with a mars bar. Slowly and gently does it and see how things unfold. Try to keep some sort of record so they have some data to go on.