Worried - husband has drunk a lot of whiskey

grey lady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband was diagnosed type 1 2 years ago - he injects twice a day. He's come home from a 'do' and has drunk half a bottle of whiskey. He hasn't done this since he was diagnosed - he drinks whiskey but only rarely in quantity. How worried should I be?

Thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Make sure you test him before he goes to sleep. Try and get a few carbs in him as well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I appears to me that you should be very worried - especially if he has drunk a lot.

Alcohol lowers the blood sugar, and also (I've read) prevents the liver reversing that lowering of blood sugar.

Several times in the past, I have ended up in hospital on account of alcohol and my being diabetic.

iHs

Hi

Not sure how yr hubbies bg levels are normally throughout the night, but as alcohol tends to cause hypos, then to play safe, definately eat some carb

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

grey lady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. He's fine. Woke up with no hangover and blood sugar of 10. I checked him every couple of hours. :( We did have words this morning.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
:(I bet it was a good few words , He has come through unscathed, bet he won't do that again in a hurry . He is lucky to have such a lovely wife :)

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
As in 'don't bloody scare me like that again'.
:):rolleyes: do you think he listened ?.........its not very wise to be consuming large amounts of alcohol with medication and diabetes ....as im sure you have informed him

Last edited by a moderator:

grey lady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
:(I bet it was a good few words , He has come through unscathed, bet he won't do that again in a hurry . He is lucky to have such a lovely wife :)

Thanks Bernie - thats a lovely thing to say.

Shane - until the next time. He's not done it for years but I'm sure there'll be a next time.