Does your diabetes regime interfere with your life ?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is not a normal part of life, going to the toilet or brushing your teeth are.

The question was does your diabetes routine interfere with your life.

Take diabetes away and all the things you do to manage it and then try and tell me that it doesn't. I won't believe you whether diagnosed age 2, 12, 22, 32 or 72.

Last edited by a moderator:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I never mentioned teeth brushing to be abnormal, just that it interferes with daily life. If I have diabetes, injecting and testing then becomes normal, for me. We're all different Dave, I don't spend as much time dealing with my diabetes as you do :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yep, it sure does. For example, we were coming back from a trip to A country park yesterday. Normally we would have stopped and got fish and chips. Instead I made a chicken casserole with veggies. Yes it was yummy but I miss the spontaneity side of things. The upside is we eat lots of yummy food which is much healthier.
I am struggling with the amount of negativity and prejudice within my workplace. It seems that T1 is ok - not your fault but T2! I have been asked to test by going into the book cupboard if I need to test in a lesson, rather than discretely at my desk which makes me feel very stressed. I have also had to endure long lectures whilst in the middle of a hypo about the dangers of eating LCHF and how this diet would raise my cholestrol and increase the possibilities of a stroke. I have also had a member of the department repeatedly offer me chocolate within the space of 2 hours despite knowing that I am diabetic.
On the other hand , I am looking forward to a new wardrobe so things aren't all bad!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never mentioned teeth brushing to be abnormal, just that it interferes with daily life. If I have diabetes, injecting and testing then becomes normal, for me. We're all different Dave, I don't spend as much time dealing with my diabetes as you do :)

The question was not "have you normalised your diabetes" we've all done that, via different approaches.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The question was not "have you normalised your diabetes" we've all done that, via different approaches.
I know what the question was, and no, for me, it doesn't interfere with my life any more than other daily planned activity. I plan for it to ensure it doesn't interfere. I maintain very tight control of my condition with minimal thought or effort. Just lucky I guess.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
it dosent interfere with my life, it has consumed it, everything has changed in ever way, i dont think this is negative, it needed to change in every way

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not anymore but it certainly did to begin with. However, I am lucky insofar as I was never on meds and I had the time to learn about foods, how to cook and to start exercising. I don't see these things as an imposition and life is good.

If I had long commutes to work, a hard job and a long commute back from work arriving home tired, they would be an imposition though and in all probability I wouldn't take any exercise and I'd be either eating the wrong foods or eating very boring foods and consequently I'd be on meds wondering where my life was heading. We are all told about lifestyle choices but those doing the telling do not seem to realise that many people have their hands tied behind their backs.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Not anymore but it certainly did to begin with. However, I am lucky insofar as I was never on meds and I had the time to learn about foods, how to cook and to start exercising. I don't see these things as an imposition and life is good.

If I had long commutes to work, a hard job and a long commute back from work arriving home tired, they would be an imposition though and in all probability I wouldn't take any exercise and I'd be either eating the wrong foods or eating very boring foods and consequently I'd be on meds wondering where my life was heading. We are all told about lifestyle choices but those doing the telling do not seem to realise that many people have their hands tied behind their backs.
I second this notion! I work 55-60 hours a week on average and have 2 young children. On Mondays and Wednesdays I am a taxi service between 6-9 for various clubs. Then there's all the marking! In term times it really is exercise at weekends only and it used to be lots of pasta as it was quick to cook supplemented by take out for those days when I was knackered and was suffering from CBA. Obviously that has had to change! Although I don't miss the 12lbs which I have now lost I do miss my glass of Chardonnay!

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Of course it interferes with my life.....Eg, non diabetics don't stick pins in themselves umpteen times a day. If they did they'd be self harming! Life is a challenge for everyone....moreso for people with an underlying health condition......but with a bit of planning and the occasional compromise, I don't let my diabetes stop me from doing pretty much anything I need, or want, to do. Having said that, sometimes I do get frustrated about losing that lovely spontaneity, but that's life, "innit" :)

Reactions: 5 people

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive changed my diet and the amount of exercise I do, as well as pop 3 pills a day. But it hasnt really effected my day to day life, except for when im eating out or at family meals and have to choose wisely or bring my own substitute for carby foods.

K

Kat100

Yes it has affected my life etc, not something I like, but I have no choice but to try and adapt, not easy at all....

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Very much yes and no.
I'm a type 2
If I can, I'll take my meds, cook my own fresh food, eat to my meter, and stick pins in myself.
But
In my prime, I was a very successful sportswoman. That called for discipline.
What I do now is a variation on that theme, and having had one horrid episode when I was unprepared for an unexpectedly missed meal, with nothing (suitable or otherwise) available to me, I now have a cereal bar in each bag or back-pack I use.
Whilst T1s may have more dietary flexibility that we T2s, I do think we have the easier lot when it comes to living life "on the hoof".
Fortunately, I am un-medicated, so things are undoubtedly simpler still, but that is the reason I am evangelical about remaining just that way. I accept diabetes is a somewhat unwelcome passenger on my life's journey, but it's not getting into the driving seat if I can possibly help it.
I think anyone who says diabetes doesn't have an effect/impact on their day to day life is deluding themselves. I'd even say they were lying.
I've gone from being a fit, healty 38 year old able to leave the house for work, sport, whatever without a single thought to a fit 40 year old with a lifetime of managing a progressive disease.
I now have to feed a drugs habit (literally) and cannot simply pull on a pair of running shoes or take a bike out of the garage any time I choose because it's a nice day and I want to.
Let's get realistic here.

don't seem to be my viewpoint.
If I can't cook, I can eat a McDonalds. I can get a sandwich, I can but an apple. I can eat whatever is the best choice available. If it's a Greggs rather than Fish and Chips, If it's fish and chips, rather than a donut, I'm ok. (Admittedly, I'll leave the batter, and probably a lot of the chips, but I won't starve to death in the time)
I can miss a meal, I won't go low. (To be fair, I've missed meals for 24 hours before now, and lets face it, there's still enough of me left for several days, even the new reduced version)
I can forget my Metformin. I won't be too bad, and if I can get a salad, I'm even better.

I can act on a whim, I can just go off and do my thing, and catch up on the diet/meds later.

So yes, diabetes does have a big impact on my life, but only when it's convenient for me.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what the question was, and no, for me, it doesn't interfere with my life any more than other daily planned activity. I plan for it to ensure it doesn't interfere. I maintain very tight control of my condition with minimal thought or effort. Just lucky I guess.

How can you say that, when you need to keep your blood sugars at a specific level just to do your job? You tend to run higher than me for example, and higher than the "normal" for a non-diabetic person. When diabetes is setting the rules for whether you can carry out certain activities or not, I'd say by definition that's interfering.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
How can you say that, when you need to keep your blood sugars at a specific level just to do your job? You tend to run higher than me for example, and higher than the "normal" for a non-diabetic person. When diabetes is setting the rules for whether you can carry out certain activities or not, I'd say by definition that's interfering.
Dave, I'm only saying it is no more of an interference than other regular daily tasks. The OP asked a question for us all to answer. I respect your answer and have not questioned it. I answered the OP's question honestly and is only my opinion. I'm not saying your answer is wrong, I'm just saying it's not really for you to say mine is wrong. Does my diabetes take up a little time ? Yes. So does eating, washing, cleaning, working, shaving etc ! They are just part of my daily life. Interfere for me is a negative word. So, MY diabetes does not interfere with my life, it's just part of it. It's improved it ! I'm fitter now than I ever have been.

Reactions: 6 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it impacts on my life hugely. Everything I do I have to think ahead. Not going out without the right equipment, making sure I've got enough of each of the eight items currently on my repeat prescription.
Silly things like I'm an MDA, so check my bloods to make sure I don't go low whilst I'm on duty but then having to get someone else to cover so I can run to do a jab as I only get a 15 minute break and need to inject 15 minutes before I eat.
Having to quite frequently make a separate dinner.
Yep it impacts. But I like my legs so mostly suck it up. X

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dave, I'm only saying it is no more of an interference than other regular daily tasks. The OP asked a question for us all to answer. I respect your answer and have not questioned it. I answered the OP's question honestly and is only my opinion. I'm not saying your answer is wrong, I'm just saying it's not really for you to say mine is wrong. Does my diabetes take up a little time ? Yes. So does eating, washing, cleaning, working, shaving etc ! They are just part of my daily life. Interfere for me is a negative word. So, MY diabetes does not interfere with my life, it's just part of it. It's improved it ! I'm fitter now than I ever have been.

My life was improved by diabetes as well.
I definitely lost it somewhere. I put on weight, I became very inactive.

I have now lost the 4 stone I gained.
I have taken up diving at last.
I am no where near as acrophobic as I was, as my balance is better.
I am doing a lot more sports, (I just decided I need to take up canoeing again, after 25 years)
I'm definitely fitter than I have been for decades.

Reactions: 4 people