How low is too low....

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on the gliclazide since before xmas, but now I have been reduced down to practically nothing half a tablet 40mg.

My levels haven't been above 9, with the one exception. I am quiet pleased with the results, not seen the consultant yet but they are confused as my levels were pretty high and now appear to have normalised. All good, in fact the nurse tells me that I really wouldn't have got a tester if I'd gone to see them now.

I have some readings that are between 3.7 and 4.5 which are usually late afternoon. Are these what you class as too low.

Secondly how much difference would 40mg of gliclazide actually make!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
3.7 is pretty low, too low to drive really. 4.5 is OK. The thing is with the 3.7, you have no way of knowing if these numbers we still on the way down. Well done on gaining control though.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Those are the kind of levels I get in the late afternoon as well so unless they're making you feel funny they're probably not inherently bad. HOWEVER as Mo says it's whether they would continue to fall if you didn't eat and that could be dangerous especially if you are driving at that time of day.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pretty much why I test before I set off from work tbh. I aren't convinced yet that I am type 2, but perhaps rather pre.

I have another month to see consultant, hate waiting typical though

saramaz75

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im on 2x 500mg metformin and 1x 40mg gliclazide a day. When I was just on the metformin my bg levels were never in the correct range even though I pretty much lived off lettuce leaves and nothing else. Adding the 40mg gliclazide has made all the difference amd my bg readings both before amd after eating are within the correct range, so the simple answer is that, yes 40mg of gliclazide can make a difference.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guess going to have to wait for consultant in march. They might decide its controllable via diet as they have reduced it down n down