Memory loss

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
Do type 1s have trouble remembering things ? My memory is bloody awful lately. Is it a trait of diabetes ? I'm usually a scatty airhead but my memory truly is terrible in the last 6 months

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I've read a few things saying it can but I'm not too sure why. My memory is getting worse but not sure if that's diabetes or just getting old lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
im a t2 and my short term memory is getting bad

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
I've spoken to few people who have said their memory has gotten worse with diabetes. I'm worried I'm not going to remember my own name soon ! Ha I joke

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
I've spoken to few people who have said their memory has gotten worse with diabetes. I'm worried I'm not going to remember my own name soon ! Ha I joke
sure that don't matter as long as others remember it :D

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mines getting ridiculous, have to write everything down and set alarms now. Like Mo says, it might be old age, but it's really deteriorated since I was diagnosed.

Reactions: 3 people

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
im only diagnosed 4 or 5 years ,I forget which but I write down what I have to do daily ,maybe its laziness or its forgetfulness I duno

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
I'm really not trying to be rude here but how old are you guys? You say it's old age but I'm sure it's not !!
I have to write everything down, set alarms, 2 diaries. People have to go over conversations they've have with me. Don't remember meeting people who I'll see again a few days later in work xxx

shane-1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rain and sheep
honey if you think its old age .you better buy yourself a good iphone or something wit ha big memory for when you get older :D, im 52 .!
on the serious side ,are you under any stress or strain lately ? sometimes that can cause short term memory loss as you are not concentrating on things properly ,have you discussed it with your gp ? might be an idea to have it checked out anyway ,

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Seriously though, as long as my levels are good my recall and memory works fine. No issues so far. If too high/low I have noticed I struggle to recall information and to remember things.

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
48, I think! And my levels are good so I dread to think what I'll be like if I let them slip!

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!
:D Probably just my head then !!
Anyone get stomach pains or pains there back (kidneys) ?

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do type 1s have trouble remembering things ? My memory is bloody awful lately. Is it a trait of diabetes ? I'm usually a scatty airhead but my memory truly is terrible in the last 6 months
I have a Terrible short term memory as well. i have read a few things suggesting uncontrolled sugar levels can cause this but im generally pretty well controlled these days (low carbing really changed my life) so im just going with i have a terrible memory and its unrelated

desidiabulum

I think we should all be equipped with a banner reading 'It Isn't Necessarily The Diabetes' when we go to see a doctor. Things can so often be missed if they are treated as mild side-effects of diabetes or diabetes medication when they may be caused by something very different. Always try to get your symptoms treated on their own terms. Diabetes may itself sometimes be an indication of a larger problem with the autoimmune system -- a symptom rather than a cause of other things.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I have dreadful short term memory loss .
Have to write things down all the time to remind myself !

Though I have noticed when my blood sugars remain steady
this 'improves' :happy: - and goes poor again when blood sugars levels spike .
When am ill or have an infection or even dental treatment it will go poor again :(
Back to writing things down . . .
For me I feel this is linked to/with my own BG control .

Marfmama

Im sure I read once that hypo's kill off brain cells? And if you're sugars are high its like your brain is all clogged up with sugar and cant function properly? Its definitely true for me, I have been awful revently, I begin to write an email and forget who its to, I go upstairs and forget why I went up there..hoping that better control will sort this out!!! (Im 26 btw)

Reactions: 2 people