Is the 1 hour (after eating) BG level important ?

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
I've read something about the 1 hour test and that it can be damaging if high. This worried me as mine is sometimes as high as 10 or 11 mmol. But i always do a 2 hour test and it comes down to 7 ish. This is usually if I've had a carb filled meal so I don;t have that too often. But what is the guidlines for that 1 hour marker.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you. I'm glad I asked.. I hadn't realised how serious it is. :wideyed:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you. I'm glad I asked.. I hadn't realised how serious it is. :wideyed:
"If you suspect that you have impaired glucose tolerance, don't ignore it. The excess glucose molecules that make up those elevated post-meal blood sugars will bond to your body proteins, deposit themselves in your arteries, damage your kidney filtration units, clog up your retinal capillaries, and cause your nerve function to deteriorate leading to, among other things, impotence and pain. Keep this up, and in another five or ten years you'll be one of those people with "newly diagnosed" diabetes who have serious, established, possibly irreversible long-term complications.

On a more cheerful note, if you catch your blood sugar abnormality at this point, there is a very good chance that by managing your blood sugar through cutting down on how much carbohydrate you eat and adding exercise, you may never see it deteriorate further and may avoid developing any diabetic (or pre-diabetic) complications." --- http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
oh my.. this is very serious...

This study foundElevated 1hPG [one hour plasma glucose] in NGT [people with normal glucose tolerance] and pre-DM subjects is associated to subclinical inflammation, high lipid ratios and insulin resistance.

Therefore, 1hPG >155 mg/dl could be considered a new 'marker' for cardiovascular risk.

This strongly supports the message I have been emphasizing on this web site since 2004 that it is essential to keep one hour blood sugar reading after meals under 140 mg/dl.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
QUOTE : "The reliance of doctors on two hour glucose tolerance test results allows people to live for years with blood sugars high enough to promote complications long before they are diagnosed even pre-diabetes."

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
The way it was explained to me is that T2 diabetes tends to affect first the first phase insulin secretion (straight after eating), then the second phase and finally the overnight trickle. This means if your fasting BS is impaired there have probably been months or years when your post-prandial was gradually deteriorating. Scary thought. (It's also the way they picked up that I'm not T2, as my fasting BS was raised while my post-prandials were still fine.)

I've always tested my one-hour, not two-hour. This is either because I was diagnosed when I lived in another country, where possibly the practice is different, or because I was pregnant, and possibly they prefer a one-hour test for gestational db.

Kate

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The way it was explained to me is that T2 diabetes tends to affect first the first phase insulin secretion (straight after eating), then the second phase and finally the overnight trickle. This means if your fasting BS is impaired there have probably been months or years when your post-prandial was gradually deteriorating. Scary thought. (It's also the way they picked up that I'm not T2, as my fasting BS was raised while my post-prandials were still fine.)

I've always tested my one-hour, not two-hour. This is either because I was diagnosed when I lived in another country, where possibly the practice is different, or because I was pregnant, and possibly they prefer a one-hour test for gestational db.

Kate
That makes a lot of sense. thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Testing 1 hr after a meal tells a story but it can be misleading. Nobody wants high spikes so it's good to see how certain foods affect you but even non-diabetics will have elevated BG levels after eating, it's normal.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Testing 1 hr after a meal tells a story but it can be misleading. Nobody wants high spikes so it's good to see how certain foods affect you but even non-diabetics will have elevated BG levels after eating, it's normal.
That's what I thought Mo, but I've been reading otherwise. A person with normal BGs will not usually exceed 7.8 at 1 hr and 6.6 at 2 hr.
I just don't want to do any damage to myself by allowing my BG to get to 9 and 10 and 11 at the 1 hr stage.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That's what I thought Mo, but I've been reading otherwise. A person with normal BGs will not usually exceed 7.8 at 1 hr and 6.6 at 2 hr.
I just don't want to do any damage to myself by allowing my BG to get to 9 and 10 and 11 at the 1 hr stage.
Totally agree, just saying elevated BG readings after eating are normal. If you eat lower GI foods, or, if on insulin, inject earlier, it can help prevent these readings getting too high.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Totally agree, just saying elevated BG readings after eating are normal. If you eat lower GI foods, or, if on insulin, inject earlier, it can help prevent these readings getting too high.
You've confirmed it for me.. thanks... If I stick to low GI foods it won't peak so high. It all gets very confusing. It's like a fine balancing act.
I've just had porridge and it didn't peak as high. At 1 hour, it was 7.3 : I'm pleased with that.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low GI foods seen to work best for me as well.
Then again, out of the blue, you get something you'd expect to spike you that doesn't, and something that shouldn't, that goes up to 8's and 9's.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low GI foods seen to work best for me as well.
Then again, out of the blue, you get something you'd expect to spike you that doesn't, and something that shouldn't, that goes up to 8's and 9's.
Yes. It's not an exact science.

Grounded

You are right - this whole issue surrounding BG levels is not an exact science and that is why there is so much confusion/ misinformation/speculation - take your pick.

What is normal, in any case?

Here's an example. A few days ago I persuaded my wife to eat the same as me for lunch and an afternoon 'treat'. She is, as far as we know, 'normal'.

Lunch was a cheese and tomato sandwich on seeded bread; the afternoon 'treat' was 2 smallish scones with rasberry jam and clotted cream (Yes, I know, not very healthy but I say again, it was a 'treat').

The BG results after 2 hrs: me (supposedly T2) 8.0; my wife (supposedly 'normal') 8.7.

This whole diabetic issue concerning hba1c values (at least in the Type 2 world), what's good, what's bad' what's normal are all statistically derived - don't forget it and we all know about 'lies, damned lies and statistics'.

Go figure!!!!

Reactions: Al1000

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You are right - this whole issue surrounding BG levels is not an exact science and that is why there is so much confusion/ misinformation/speculation - take your pick.

Here's an example. A few days ago I persuaded my wife to eat the same as me for lunch and an afternoon 'treat'. She is, as far as we know, 'normal'.

Lunch was a cheese and tomato sandwich on seeded bread; the afternoon 'treat' was 2 smallish scones with rasberry jam and clotted cream (Yes, I know, not very healthy but I say again, it was a 'treat').

The BG results after 2 hrs: me (supposedly T2) 8.0; my wife (supposedly 'normal') 8.7.

This whole diabetic issue concerning hba1c values (at least in the Type 2 world), what's good, what's bad' what's normal are all statistically derived - don't forget it and we all know about 'lies, damned lies and statistics'.

That's very interesting and enlightening. thanks
I think for now I'll try to keep my 1 hr test results under 9.0 so as not to overload

Lilliepop

Go figure!!!!
Well I'm totally confused now. I thought I was doing so well keeping my BS controlled but now I see I'm not. I took my BS an hour after eating and it was 9.5 that's hight for me. So what is the result you worry about one or two hour test? This is the first I have heard of the one hour test. I'm a worrier so got more to worry about now. I have read a lot of things about diabetes and never seen this.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You get on top of the two hour test. When that's a good, repeatable result, and you know what types of food work for you, have a look at 1 hour.
That's not as repeatable though, as combinations of food react differently, sometimes you digest faster, sometimes slower, depending on the mix. As observed, if I check my wife, sometimes shes high. She's "normal". (Well diabetes wise anyway)
If you are a worrier though, it can be a nightmare, as the figures are less predictable, and you can spend your entire life chasing a magic number, that may suddenly change. Your 9.5 may not be 9.5 at one hour next time. It may well be less, it may depend on your stomach contents at the time, and the last time you ate.

Reactions: 2 people