Filling in forms! ;)
Reactions: 12 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I have to admit that for years I've eaten anything and everything with low fat on the label because that's what I was lead to believe was the way forward for everyone, not just diabetics. I'm a Grannie, and boy, am i constantly learning that the old adage "you can't teach your Grannie to suck eggs" is wrong! ://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/10635994/Gourmet-butter-satisfy-your-churning-desires.html
If you follow the link there's even a recipe for making your own butter....cool ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i once made butter :) i was taken to widdicome on dartmore to a farm run by 2 lesbians nutters, not that that is particularily relevant, it was a place where kids that has just come out of prison go to get away from london lol i went becaue we didnt hve any money or something like that i dunno, we was cut off from humanity and we got to milk cows etc which for a kid from inner city slum that was awesome, we got to make butter for real from the milk, never forgot it :) i also never forgot knocking myself out after getting caught sniffing gas and making a run for it from one of the nutty lesbians on there low door beams but i digress the butter making was cool :)

sorry for sharing my weird memory lol

Reactions: 11 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
i once made butter :) i was taken to widdicome on dartmore to a farm run by 2 lesbians nutters, not that that is particularily relevant, it was a place where kids that has just come out of prison go to get away from london lol i went becaue we didnt hve any money or something like that i dunno, we was cut off from humanity and we got to milk cows etc which for a kid from inner city slum that was awesome, we got to make butter for real from the milk, never forgot it :) i also never forgot knocking myself out after getting caught sniffing gas and making a run for it from one of the nutty lesbians on there low door beams but i digress the butter making was cool :)

sorry for sharing my weird memory lol
:hilarious: No comment on the grounds that.......;)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have to admit that for years I've eaten anything and everything with low fat on the label because that's what I was lead to believe was the way forward for everyone, not just diabetics. I'm a Grannie, and boy, am i constantly learning that the old adage "you can't teach your Grannie to suck eggs" is wrong! ://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/10635994/Gourmet-butter-satisfy-your-churning-desires.html

As the article says though, there's butter, and there's real butter.
I do use a small (very small) amount of fat now, and trying to find a "real" butter isn't easy. It's all mass produced and a continuous process, rather than a real batch product.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband used to be a bit gob smacked by the amount of butter my parents used to put on their toast - they were great "foodies" and when they retired to Cornwall they bought their butter from a local farm shop. My father was in his late 80s when he died and my mum was 93, so it obviously did them no harm. :happy:

I'm a great butter fan too and have never wanted to go anywhere near margarine or low fat spreads so one of my biggest peeves when I was diagnosed with T2 before Christmas was that I was advised to cut down on fats and use low fats spreads instead as I needed to lose a lot of weight. A low carbs and higher fat diet has restored my butter intake and thereby saved my sanity.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My husband used to be a bit gob smacked by the amount of butter my parents used to put on their toast - they were great "foodies" and when they retired to Cornwall they bought their butter from a local farm shop. My father was in his late 80s when he died and my mum was 93, so it obviously did them no harm. :happy:

I'm a great butter fan too and have never wanted to go anywhere near margarine or low fat spreads so one of my biggest peeves when I was diagnosed with T2 before Christmas was that I was advised to cut down on fats and use low fats spreads instead as I needed to lose a lot of weight. A low carbs and higher fat diet has restored my butter intake and thereby saved my sanity.

Robbity

It's good, if it suits you.
I did the exact opposite.
Very low fat, no saturated fats, I lost 4 stones, and now have normal blood sugar.
The advantage I find is if I do eat a high carb snack, I don't seem to suffer the spikes a lchf diet seems to give later, but maybe that's just me.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
As the article says though, there's butter, and there's real butter.
I do use a small (very small) amount of fat now, and trying to find a "real" butter isn't easy. It's all mass produced and a continuous process, rather than a real batch product.
You could make your own Douglas. There's a basic recipe and variations on the link :)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
If you can keep your family away from it , it will keep in the fridge for a few weeks :)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Next you will be talking about bread and dripping lol :eek:
:) When I was a child, bread and dripping was much enjoyed in my house. Beef dripping of course, the jelly being most highly prized and always eaten by my father! :)

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's good, if it suits you.
I did the exact opposite.
Very low fat, no saturated fats, I lost 4 stones, and now have normal blood sugar.
The advantage I find is if I do eat a high carb snack, I don't seem to suffer the spikes a lchf diet seems to give later, but maybe that's just me.

Cool story bro, especially for a low carb forum.

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
For me it has to be the French President butter. Growing up the lurpak was hogged by my mum (think it was dear).
Loved the dripping on homemade bread. And yes the jelly was the best.

Reactions: 3 people

annew

I love butter - always hated low fat spreads, could never understand how processed by products of the petro chemical industry could be good for you! And tasted revolting. I know they've changed the recipes but I'll still stick with butter. Italian butter is my favourite - lovely stuff.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
If you follow the link there's even a recipe for making your own butter....
When I was a child we made butter by putting cream into a jam-jar and shaking it till it turned as if by magic into an island of butter in a sea of buttermilk. My mother (being partly Foreign) loved it, but my father said it lacked salt.

You've inspired me: I'm going to make butter with my 6-year-old today :)

Kate

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cool story bro, especially for a low carb forum.

Glad you like it bro.
As you quite rightly say, low carb forum, so it doesn't always mean you have to go high fat if you're trying to lose weight.
Works well if you don't in fact.
Even I am going to go in for a small amount of (homemade) butter eventually when I want to maintain weight, so it's a good article linked to.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love butter! Not prepared to give it up. I did use the low fat spreads for a while. I once had dietician grudgingly ok my butter use because I use olive oil, which can lower cholesterol. My diet has never contained a lot of fat so even the use of butter was quite minimal. Kerrygold all the way :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I ran out of butter the other day and nipped out to the local shop to buy some, got it back, spread it on my round of burgen only to discover they'd wrapped up margarine in a butter wrapping by mistake. Outraged and mortified!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App