Does your diabetes regime interfere with your life ?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The germanic speakers referred to their neighbours by the languages that they spoke and the speakers the former celtic langues were known walhs. Hence we get the Canton of Valais in Switzerland, Wallonia in Belgium, Wales in Britain. The Walh prefix was also used by germanic speakers to describe goods which were traded, for example, the Walnut, literally Welsh Nut and in Sweden wine, which came from Gaul and Italy became known as welsh wine, 'välskt vin'.

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
Without a doubt it interferes with my life.

I dread having to take long tube or bus journeys as I always seem to want to urinate.

After every meal I'm already thinking about the next.

Waking in the night to find that your blood sugar is low and having to eat when you really don't want to.

Always checking my finger before I leave the house and making sure I've always got food on me.

Telling mates your no longer in the mood to venture out.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The germanic speakers referred to their neighbours by the languages that they spoke and the speakers the former celtic langues were known walhs. Hence we get the Canton of Valais in Switzerland, Wallonia in Belgium, Wales in Britain. The Walh prefix was also used by germanic speakers to describe goods which were traded, for example, the Walnut, literally Welsh Nut and in Sweden wine, which came from Gaul and Italy became known as welsh wine, 'välskt vin'.
Have got to ask - what do you do for a living? Is all this stuff connected to your job or are you just fascinated by it all?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have got to ask - what do you do for a living? Is all this stuff connected to your job or are you just fascinated by it all?

Just a hobby of mine, Bronze Age and Iron Age Scandinavia. Been doing it for years along with genetic anthropology. My friend wrote a book, The Well Spring of the Goths and I have been to Sweden, Denmark and Jutland many times.

Since my ancestry belongs to the group below, how could I be anything less than interested.

HG_I1_europa.jpg

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
Yes it affects or effects every decision or action I do every day and every night. "For every action there is a reaction" in the near or distant future...

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just a hobby of mine, Bronze Age and Iron Age Scandinavia. Been doing it for years along with genetic anthropology. My friend wrote a book, The Well Spring of the Goths and I have been to Sweden, Denmark and Jutland many times.

Since my ancestry belongs to the group below, how could I be anything less than interested.

HG_I1_europa.jpg
I love anything to do with Scandinavia but in particular Sweden. Read Swedish and German with subsidiary French and Spanish for my degree and lived in Sweden for a while. Dragged my husband there kicking and Sweden on lots of hols. We got married out there and I only speak Swedish to my kids which has been handy for them when we've gone on hols there. Really love Gothenburg and if we ever win the lottery .....

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Let's get this one back on topic guys! If you all wanna talk about Scandinavia please make a new thread or do so via PM :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Let's get this one back on topic guys! If you all wanna talk about Scandinavia please make a new thread or do so via PM :)
Point taken! Must be the teacher in me.... Or perhaps I'm just nosy - lol!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Not sure on it in a way has done me a favour l have pulled my life together.
l am aware for food and excercise as l wasnt before. lf we go out l enjoy making up my dish of choice.
Maybe because it is still A) new fir meB) l dont inject

Reactions: 6 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
No, my diabetes, doesn't interfere with my life. It will only interfere if I let it and after 30 odd years. I'm not going to let it now. I have a bag packed ready to go out with everything I need. So if I want to go out for the day with, the kids to go into town or the Turner Centre, I just grab it and go. So no it doesn't.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Whatever do you have to take out with you?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

HG_I1_europa.jpg

With a name like Neilson, and immigration traced back to France, it's a good bet I've got some of that genetics via the Normans (aka Norsemen).

Not so much the bronze etc age, but I have enjoyed my brief trips to Denmark and Norway.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ab-so-lutely.

I wanted to be an RAF pilot, and I would have been a very good one, but my dreams were shattered aged 12. Life thereafter has just been a search for some other fullfilment not yet discovered.

Furthermore, on a beautiful warm summer's day, I can't just jump in the car and drive to say skafell pike for a walk. Similarly, I can't just jump on Eurostar and go to Paris for a bender on a Saturday night on a whim. If I wasn't diabetic, those sorts of things would need no preparation, no forethought, no other planning, nothing to carry.(except a bit of cash, credit-card, and passport for Paris).

The same applies to work, sitting in meetings and thining "**** I think I'm going hypo. how can I reach for another coffee and shove loads of sugar into it at this precise moment in time without looking an ****, the clients don't know I'm diabetic, and we just had a break 10 mins ago".

Having said that, I have worked on projects abroad ....Iraq (pre-wars), Saudi, Sudan, Oman, Israel, Greece (pre-EU(, Nigeria, Jamaice ....to name a few. So diabetes doesn't stop world travel, but it does impact spontaneous excursions and excludes one from some jobs.
Funny, I wanted to be a pilot as well, went into engineering instead, now mainly in the oil industry.

From that list of locations, I'll bet that's your game as well?

Gillie Ruth

I am type 2 diabetic, and have had severe asthma from birth. I don't know what it is like to go out with out medications, asthma plans, knowing where hospitals are, going to doctors amd hospitals etc. At 58 and under good control, I just add meds and careful diet and exercise to my life. iBS is my biggest problem, we plan evey trip by loo stops. My diabetes is genetic, but also media ally induced by large doses off cortisone over many years.
I take metformin 2x500 daily, krill oil and vitamin D. My blood sugars are higher from a big operation a d stifling heat a d humidity. I refuse to panic, but know I can get things under control soon, stress doesn't help any medical situation. Interfere? Not really, it's just another thing to do. I check my asthma levels daily with a peak flow meter....so what, my diet has never been free because I have food allergies and excema. So I get on and be glad I live near good doctors!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
This annoys me - having to test my BG levels pre-driving my car .
Gone are the days when I could just jump in my car and simply zoom off .
But - have to do it [ plus I care about other road users and pedestrians! ]

I now have to sit in my car and faff about with my BG kit
and test pre-drive as am an insulin user .
Dashboard/glovebox equipped with glucose tablets too .

Yep - diabetes certainly 'does' interfere with my life and style .

Last edited by a moderator:

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My grandchildren are always amazed by the number of Lucozade bottles scattered about in my car! But other than that the only things I take out with me are my meter and a 1ml syringe in case I need to extract the insulin from my pump cartridge if it fails.
I can't really remember much about not having diabetes as I have had it for 44 years.
If I do get fed up with it I always remind myself that there are many worse things I could have!!