Dislikes
Doctors
yes i salute you too for eating the mcflurry, great idea

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
thanks peeps i think what hurt it was on a diabetes forum on facebook and one woman in particular tore me apart, i agree with douglas i wont be having huge treat like that and do make the best options i can, but once i was told i had this i said well if i like something i will eat it just a lot smaller portion and not so often, that was the first mcds in 5 weeks the 2nd ice cream, andy i dont want a salute i just didnt expect so many people to be against having it, as u say we are all different in the way we handle things not just diabetes, i admire those that never waiver from there good foods, but like next week im on hols and spending 3 days 2 nights away from home in a hotel/london, i shall do my best to go for the best things on the menu but if i have a couple of spikes i wont hang myself either.

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
If I ever get diagnosed with Diabetes, I don't want to get into a discussion about which diet is best, with the Nurse. I will ask her advice and then just nod and agree and then carry on with a low carb diet.
I like McFlurrys too but that amount of sugar would make me itch, but I do have a burger from McDs occassionaly without it affecting my levels too much. Only occassionaly as I don';t want to overload my pancreas.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Although my HbA1c was 37, I will be re-looking at my carb intake. My current arrangement might horrify some posters as it is quite high at breakfast (porridge) and lunch (often a baguette) but I usually cut back for my evening meal. I eat plenty of veg and salad, and usually skip pudding and custard!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thanks peeps i think what hurt it was on a diabetes forum on facebook and one woman in particular tore me apart, i agree with douglas i wont be having huge treat like that and do make the best options i can, but once i was told i had this i said well if i like something i will eat it just a lot smaller portion and not so often, that was the first mcds in 5 weeks the 2nd ice cream, andy i dont want a salute i just didnt expect so many people to be against having it, as u say we are all different in the way we handle things not just diabetes, i admire those that never waiver from there good foods, but like next week im on hols and spending 3 days 2 nights away from home in a hotel/london, i shall do my best to go for the best things on the menu but if i have a couple of spikes i wont hang myself either.

im not saying you should not eat mcdonalds! its not for me to say what you should and shouldn't eat! its none of my business, i don't eat like a saint either, i think I'm being misunderstood as usual, everyone can fill their boots as far as I'm concerned, if its advice someone is seeking then my advice is don't eat mcdonalds, not even as a treat, its poison, i have recently eaten mcdonalds myself so I'm not being holier than thou, but if the question is raised should we eat mcdonalds, then my answer and advice is no

Last edited by a moderator:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why anyone (diabetic or otherwise) would want to eat McDonalds it beyond me, given that I would have a couple of KFC classic chicken pieces instead as my guilty pleasure :)

Denisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just came home from a NHS course four type 2 and got quite angry. I have been diagnosed 5 months ago and did a lot of reading. I managed to reduce my hba1c down to 43 (from68) thanks to the great advice on this forum. I stopped eating pasta, potatoes, rice, have 2 slices of bread a week and a porridge as a treat before going for 2 he swim. However, I learnt today from a nutritionist that is OK to have 2 toast with jam and orange juice for breakfast as long as my butter is limited and drink only 150 ml of juice. I was also told I needed 5-14!! portions of carbohydrates a day to get the energy. And I can have a treat 2-3 times a week. I can have a Big Mac if I remove the cheese....I was dismissed when I said I couldn't keep my sugar under control this way. I evaluated the session as poor and will stick to my eating habits but feel sorry for people who went home happy because they were allowed to have honey, cereals, juice, beer, bread, potatoes, instant porridge...well anything they fancy

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just came home from a NHS course four type 2 and got quite angry. I have been diagnosed 5 months ago and did a lot of reading. I managed to reduce my hba1c down to 43 (from68) thanks to the great advice on this forum. I stopped eating pasta, potatoes, rice, have 2 slices of bread a week and a porridge as a treat before going for 2 he swim. However, I learnt today from a nutritionist that is OK to have 2 toast with jam and orange juice for breakfast as long as my butter is limited and drink only 150 ml of juice. I was also told I needed 5-14!! portions of carbohydrates a day to get the energy. And I can have a treat 2-3 times a week. I can have a Big Mac if I remove the cheese....I was dismissed when I said I couldn't keep my sugar under control this way. I evaluated the session as poor and will stick to my eating habits but feel sorry for people who went home happy because they were allowed to have honey, cereals, juice, beer, bread, potatoes, instant porridge...well anything they fancy

Quite right. It's outrageous but the Know-it-alls won't listen until years of actual evidence prove them wrong. Thank goodness for the Information Highway!

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
Sorry guys didn't want any one arguing or anything I was honestly confused that medical nurse was saying it was ok and also that she's been doing this years..and is diabetic..I will be keeping fairly low carb and treats will be kept strictly for hols and days out

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry guys didn't want any one arguing or anything I was honestly confused that medical nurse was saying it was ok and also that she's been doing this years..and is diabetic..I will be keeping fairly low carb and treats will be kept strictly for hols and days out
Her way must be working for her... perhaps her portions are really small, plus she must get a lot of exercise. If it wasn't working for her, then I'm sure she would be looking for another option/solution and would end up on this forum :)

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well she was not a small lady and I did tell to have a look but she said she had seen it..

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like peace he he and I respect all your opinions

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well she was not a small lady and I did tell to have a look but she said she had seen it..
Well, I reckon that in a few years she will be regretting it. I bet she doesn't test often and because she FEELS fine she thinks that she's controling her BGs.... hmmmm time will tell, but by then most of the damage could have been done. Either that or she's on medicine and puts complete trust in them.