Confused.com

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Well I have tried reading about low carbs etc but totally confused Seems to be no hard and fast rules.

I am a fussy eater but for tea tonight I thought about Pork chop on bone grilled, Boiled carrots and Now I'm stuck cause I would make mash lol

Is this ok so far? Am I getting it right lol

Cheers

Tigger

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sounds good, you could make mash, maybe a smaller portion than usual..............then if you haven't already, get a meter and test your blood sugar before and after your tea.........see how it goes, you may be more tolerant to some carbs than others....

:)

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could try celeriac mash, or swede and carrot mash. Celeriac chips are really nice tae.

Last edited by a moderator:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just tend to have lots of veg, Broc, cauli, stir fry veg, and not bother with a carb at all

Reactions: 5 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you jot down the foods which don't raise your BS too much in the end you will just be able to look at it - and also maybe the food which make your BS rocket! I was only diagnosed in November and that is what I am doing. You may have some spikes for a while but it's all in the learning of what suits you as we are all different - just a tip :).

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
your doing great, i have melted cheese on a pork loin chop and have it with aparagus and cauliflower mash, its yummy, your doing great! trying is doing great regardless of anything else

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Try to avoid spuds in any form other than as a small test. And mashed spuds will probably kick you up really high..

I agree with celariac comment my other half cuts it into about 1cm cubes and roasts them l love them. He did say the skin on them is very tough.

Dont overdo carrot or peas as they are quite high in carb can eat them just be aware :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just started testing. Had chips and fish fingers last night shot through the roof lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Use your meter to rule out the fish fingers, there may be things in there that never swam in the sea. I did a similar exercise with chicken kievs to find that they spiked me the same as a Mars bar. Nursie said, "Nonsense, they're chicken" but a TV programme went to the Ukraine to see them getting made and they get six kievs from one chicken breast. They are a sort of cake which have been shown a chicken.

Reactions: 2 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Just started testing. Had chips and fish fingers last night shot through the roof lol

Did you have high quality fish fingers... they could have been full of junk.

PS... oops, it's already been touched on in prior post .

Last edited by a moderator:

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You could try celeriac mash, or swede and carrot mash. Celeriac chips are really nice tae.
<<<< Taking notes here. This sounds yummy.
Me thinks Tigger is doing really well in trying to get to grips with his new way of eating. I find it encouraging as I ate really badly today.
:wideyed:

Tigger2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Curry
Really finding it difficult as I have high cholesterol as well :-( until nurse tells me which one to tackle im struggling. However lost 2 lb in 2 days lol

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I wouldn't worry about cholesterol unless horrendously high. If you are going onto a low carb high fat it will change. I had medium high when l was diagnosed with diabetes and flatly refused statins.... dr and l had major argument.. I changed diets to low carb high fat (l am an ultra low carber about 30 gram a day) and reading here knew my cholesterol would go up and had an idea it would change.
My LDL has gone up but l checked out mr google after folks here confirmed not to worry and plenty of studies confirm that. Have a read. As l say if you have dangerously high then thats different but my DN was fine about my refusing statins.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Read the links above and esp the Low Carb and Cholesterol- A Docs Opinion

About 4 articles down

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I wouldn't worry about cholesterol unless horrendously high. If you are going onto a low carb high fat it will change. I had medium high when l was diagnosed with diabetes and flatly refused statins.... dr and l had major argument.. I changed diets to low carb high fat (l am an ultra low carber about 30 gram a day) and reading here knew my cholesterol would go up and had an idea it would change.
My LDL has gone up but l checked out mr google after folks here confirmed not to worry and plenty of studies confirm that. Have a read. As l say if you have dangerously high then thats different but my DN was fine about my refusing statins.
That's very encouraging.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm fairly new to low carbing myself, but have found a few things over the last few weeks, and thought I would share. First, drink water. Lots and lots of it. I have suffered from dehydration the last couple of days. The symptoms included severe abdominal cramps and orange urine! Thankfully, drinking water gave me instant relief from both these symptoms. It really is surprising how much you need.
Next, almond meal and flax meal are the best things ever (if rather costly. Holland and Barrett have a buy one get one half price on everything in store right now, so get down there and bulk buy). My wife and I have made low carb pizzas, pancakes, cakes and muffins using these ingredients. Searching the web comes up with loads of recipes. A month ago I could not even cook an omelette, and I have been fine making them, so if you struggle in the kitchen, fear not! Here are links to some of my favourites:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/lowcarbmuffins.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxpizza.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm
In the comments for the pancakes, people have suggested adding baking powder and vanilla to the mixture. I can confirm from personal experience that this works very well.
The other thing to consider is which sweeteners to use I find that Stevia works best for me. It took me a few days to get used to the taste, and it should definitely be used sparingly, but now I am hooked! For baking, a teaspoon should be enough for most things. The problem with other powdered sweeteners is that manufacturers add things like maltodextrin for bulk. This is pretty much pure sugar. Look at the nutritional info and it will probably show almost 100g of carbs per 100g. Stevia is the exception, and does not spike my blood sugars.
The best thing is to experiment! I pity my parents because I was the nightmare case: a diabetic child with a phobia of food. If I had not tried it, I would not eat it. Chicken, curries, cheese, milk, I felt sick if any of this was placed in front of me. As I got into my late teens I started to try more things, but it has taken a low carb diet to make me really accept trying new foods. (I don't use milk because it can have a fair amount of carbs). Even if you are a fussy eater, try getting out of your comfort zone a little bit. You may be pleasantly surprised by the results! (How the expletive did I go 26 years without mayonnaise?!)
Best of luck, I'm sure you will do great!

Reactions: 5 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi Tigger,

This is a marathon and not a sprint. It will take a while to get your head around all that is involved. You need to find an eating plan that will suit you which takes into account your likes and dislikes with regard to food.

Take it one day at a time, keep a food diary and test, test, test.

There is some information for newly diagnosed which will explain some of the questions you may have. Don't get out of your depth too soon and read around the forum. You will find different views about cholesterol and what constitutes a low carb diet.

This is going to be something that you have to do for the rest of your life so don't rush into it but educate yourself slowly rather than overloading yourself with information and suggestions coming at you from all directions.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Reactions: 4 people