Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
im a little puzzled by why giving someone your email address via P.m would cause any concern? what could anyone do to you? are we talking about cloning credit cards etc? or just sending nasty messages?
Things like that may seem of little concern but I've been in situations where I've had to help out people who have been manipulated and socially engineered into giving away information about themselves that they really shouldn't. Sharing any contact info about yourself, in theory, can be risky. If people know enough about you, they can take a more educated guess at passwords, recovery answers for emails etc. etc.

Reactions: 10 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
so i should delete my answers in the greetings and introduction post as my password was answer 4 and my recovery was answers 7 and 9 ? nah ill just have to hope no one finds out

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
so i should delete my answers in the greetings and introduction post as my password was answer 4 and my recovery was answers 7 and 9 ? nah ill just have to hope no one finds out

Las Vegas here I come!!! Cheers Andy!! :D lol

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I know it does sound silly (who would bother, right?), but it's a very serious thing! There's people out there who will sit for days on end just gathering information about people and taking a guess at the credentials they've used on other sites.

Reactions: 7 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Actually you would be amazed how much time blackhats spend looking at facebook profiles Andy, I dealt with a breach last year where somebody who really should know better actually gave all his security details away in an unsecured facebook profile!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I think the whole business with Kman reflected very badly on this forum, no one can say with any certainty if his postings were genuine or merely a cry for help for reasons unknown to us all, this forum has always been about supporting one-another through the good and the bad times and I think the conduct of a few individuals has brought shame to the forum.

Reactions: 4 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I think Beachbags brave post is anything but shameful. It's very educational for new members who may have very little experience with forums. All forums suffer this problem and to call it shameful behaviour not to talk about it seems to be burying your head in the sand.

Reactions: 9 people

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I think the whole business with Kman reflected very badly on this forum, no one can say with any certainty if his postings were genuine or merely a cry for help for reasons unknown to us all, this forum has always been about supporting one-another through the good and the bad times and I think the conduct of a few individuals has brought shame to the forum.
As you say nobody can say if he was telling the truth or not but as always on this forum once certain people believe they are right they go on and on about it no wonder old posters have never been back on

Type 2 diagnosed 2010 1 metformin twice a day

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I just think this whole thing has been a real downer on the forum as a whole. When I first joined, if these were the threads I began reading, I'd have never bothered joining. The whole original thread was ridiculous and should have been locked weeks ago but I understand not an easy decision for mods as they need to be 100%. Let's just hope this ends now and we get back to helping/advising others with a bit of fun on the way ! I'm off to Thommos bar and the first round is on me if anyone wants to join me :)

Reactions: 3 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I just think this whole thing has been a real downer on the forum as a whole. When I first joined, if these were the threads I began reading, I'd have never bothered joining. The whole original thread was ridiculous and should have been locked weeks ago but I understand not an easy decision for mods as they need to be 100%. Let's just hope this ends now and we get back to helping/advising others with a bit of fun on the way ! I'm off to Thommos bar and the first round is on me if anyone wants to join me :)

That's exactly it! We can't lock something without 100% certainty that we're taking the right action. Things like that vary hugely and it's not an easy choice to lock a thread that clearly has some value (at least at the beginning...) but hey ho, it's all done and dusted.

There's no conclusive proof that any of the allegations against kman are true or false, and I'd be unhappy with removing someone based on assumptions that others have made. In my PM to kman shortly before closing his thread, I advised him to start a blog rather than use the forum as it was clearly causing some unnecessary controversy.

With all that said and done... let's get this back on topic ;)

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

I am just getting up to speed, I have been concerned abt the posting referred to.....Kat

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
The thread in question just completely gives me creeps. So glad it is locked.