Overdosing on Insulin

woodstar65

Hi,
I don't know how to really start this but recently I have been going through a really bad patch in my life. It all came to a head on Sunday night. I don't really want to go in to the details of that but it ended up with me taking 5 novo rapid pens and 1 levemier pen and 10 500g co-droaminal before I stopped. I had a hypo as to be expected about an hour later but it did not take much for me to correct me sugars. I can't seem to understand this. As of yet I have had no other effects from the overdosing apart from headaches. I thought taking that much insulin would at least put me in hospital. Can any one explain why.
On a good note it may be the kick up **** I needed to get my self in a more positive state.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Not sure why you never ended up in hospital, just lucky maybe. You certainly don't need a lecture and I think you know what you need to do now. Get help. Take care.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
I know I need help, I've been to the clinics and the doctor there wont help me so I need to try my local.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was it that you told them?

woodstar65

I told them what was going on and how I was feeling and the doc replied by saying its nothing to do with your diabetes so it's your doctor you need to see. Even though what I told him was all about how the diabetes was making me feel.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I told them what was going on and how I was feeling and the doc replied by saying its nothing to do with your diabetes so it's your doctor you need to see. Even though what I told him was all about how the diabetes was making me feel.

Your diabetes doctor didn't handle that very well, but he is right that you need to see you gp to get appropriate treatment

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

phil169

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
go and see your g.p tell them you need to see them now . stay safe mate

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Are you saying you shot/took all the units in each pen ?
Doctor or you say anything about depression ?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are feeling desperate / need advise then it might be a good idea to contact an organisation such as the Samaritans until you can see your doctor.

Book an appointment with your GP and tell them it is urgent. If you don't feel you can tell them how you feel in person then write it down so you can get across your point clearly.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people

woodstar65

Yes anna29 I took all the units in the 5 pens. I put one needle on each pen and twisted to 60 pressed and kept the needle in and kept repeating. I honestly don't know what went wrong. At that moment in time I just wanted off this planet. When the hypo started and I was drenched in sweat I could only find riceicles so had 2 big bowls of that and two slices of toast. I realised then that I didn't want to leave my daughter or my wife as I'm the main bread winner. I have a responsibility to them. Your all right I do need help. I just don't want to speak to my gp about my problems. I'm a very proud man and was bought up not to show my feelings. Which I know is rubbish.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you don't want to leave your wife and child then you must get some help. In this case you were lucky, but if this happened again you may not be.

There is no shame in talking about your feelings or asking for help. In my opinion it takes guts to say you need support and to talk to someone. At first this may not be easy (hence my suggestion of writing down what's wrong and handing it to your GP if needed so that you don't have to try to say the words out loud) but given time and the correct support you will hopefully start to feel better and find that talking about how you feel isn't as difficult as you first thought.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
woodstar65 , if you feel this bad, enough to do what you did .
This really needs 'professional help and support' urgently .

I hope you can seek this for your own sake .

Last edited by a moderator: